Wow. What an incredible mess Ottawa's transit planning has become over the last year or so that I've been lurking in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey
|
I think this plan would be a good ultimate configuration for Ottawa's transit plan. The current plan from Tunney's to Blair would work as a starting point for this ultimate plan. I would go for a cut-and-cover on Byron instead of Carling (I can tell you that Calgary's NE line, which runs in the median of a road, and would probably be what a train down Carling would end up being like, is one big mess and is an example of how not to do an LRT. It is not pedestrian friendly, car friendly, or train friendly.) or the Parkway (Since Ottawa's train plan intends to be a combination of commuter train and LRT, having the line go in a place where it can have stations that aren't surrounded by nothing but park is good for ridership. The Parkway route is too contentious a route anyways).
This map makes the lines look like they follow roads in certain places like Barrhaven... They should just use the already-existing transitway corridors and keep the line as grade-separated as possible (Calgary's lack of grade separation often causes problems). I would still add some sort of rapid transit on the Cumberland Transitway, Carling, and to Stittsville, as well as what they've proposed here.
That's just my two cents... As someone who enjoys transit as a hobby, I just wish the city of Ottawa would get past all the arguing about how they're going to build the train and onto the actual building, which is already going to take forever.