HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 7:46 AM
zilfondel zilfondel is offline
Submarine de Nucléar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,481
Safeway has the worst produce of any grocery company on the west coast. I'd def hit up the "little green grocer" if I lived in the hood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:31 PM
cab cab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,450
This building is 🞵🞵🞵 from a distance, but I'm happy to say from the street it actually works. That entire area took a giant leap forward with the opening of safeway. Its just has a more vibrant feel. As much as I can't stand safeway this is huge for the pearl.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:00 PM
smendesPDX's Avatar
smendesPDX smendesPDX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 155
Compared to the architecture of the downtown Safeway by the meseum, the Pearl Safeway building looks cheap and sterile, something I would expect in a suburb, not in the heart of the pearl. This neighbrohood will start looking pretentious and fake if they build more of these kind of buildings in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 10:59 AM
MightyAlweg MightyAlweg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
This neighbrohood will start looking pretentious and fake if they build more of these kind of buildings in the future.
I already got that vibe when I first wandered the Pearl in mid '06. Some cool stores, but nothing you can't find at any of the big malls here in Southern California. And lots of folks wandering and driving around trying very, very hard to look "urban" and "hip" and "sustainable". HILARIOUS to watch, but not very genuine.

When I spent two days downtown and in the Pearl this past August, the Pearl District had gotten worse. It was like Washington Square without the free parking.

I think the Pearl jumped the shark around Christmas, 2006. All it needs now is an Old Navy or a Best Buy, and I think we can call it over and done with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:07 PM
dkealoha's Avatar
dkealoha dkealoha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gateway (NE Portland)
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
I already got that vibe when I first wandered the Pearl in mid '06. Some cool stores, but nothing you can't find at any of the big malls here in Southern California. And lots of folks wandering and driving around trying very, very hard to look "urban" and "hip" and "sustainable". HILARIOUS to watch, but not very genuine.

When I spent two days downtown and in the Pearl this past August, the Pearl District had gotten worse. It was like Washington Square without the free parking.

I think the Pearl jumped the shark around Christmas, 2006. All it needs now is an Old Navy or a Best Buy, and I think we can call it over and done with.
I don't know what kind of malls you have, but the only "mall store" in the Pearl that you'll find in Washington Square is Eddie Bauer. Other than that, almost all of the stores are independently owned and local. The people trying very very hard to look "urban" and "hip" and "sustainable" are the people that come from out of town or the suburbs and want to pretend like they live there. For the most part, the people who actually LIVE in the Pearl are not pretentious and fake, it's the visitors that try to emulate that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 7:14 PM
pdxman's Avatar
pdxman pdxman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,037
I'll agree with you dkealoha, as someone who works in the pearl its easy to pick out the people who live there and those who don't. For the most part the residents in the pearl are very agreeable and rational. dke, you would know best though because you've actually lived there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 8:24 PM
brandonpdx's Avatar
brandonpdx brandonpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 550
wow, what an enlightened conversation we're having here. All I will say is that those with superficial judgments are just projecting what's in themselves internally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 8:53 PM
dkealoha's Avatar
dkealoha dkealoha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gateway (NE Portland)
Posts: 505
Ok so maybe I'm generalizing the suburban and tourist population. However, my experience living near the SoLo bar when it was open and other bars and restaurants in the area, the people that were disrespectful, loud, and obnoxious while going down the street in a pink hummer limo blasting music at 3am hanging out the window did NOT live in the Pearl. Just an observation...

That being said, there are tourist and suburban visitors who are not like that also.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:15 PM
Okstate's Avatar
Okstate Okstate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE PDX
Posts: 1,367
Thursday tantrum: I don't understand the referencing to Washington Square as being a nicer than average mall to shop. I went there yesterday for the first time & it is less classy than the tier two malls in Oklahoma of all places. Am i in for a surprise when I go to the other malls or something? End tantrum:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:26 PM
pdxman's Avatar
pdxman pdxman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,037
^^^Nope. Washington Square, along with Bridgeport Village, is probably the "nicest" mall in Oregon. You'll have to give some examples of Oklahoma malls though, I'd be interested to see what the differences are...

Oh, and dkealoha as of a few days ago it looks like SoLo went out of business.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:30 PM
dkealoha's Avatar
dkealoha dkealoha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gateway (NE Portland)
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
Oh, and dkealoha as of a few days ago it looks like SoLo went out of business.
Oh I know... I said "when it WAS open..."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:44 PM
pdxman's Avatar
pdxman pdxman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,037
Ah, I didn't even catch that! Classic though, it going out just around the time you leave.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:49 PM
dkealoha's Avatar
dkealoha dkealoha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gateway (NE Portland)
Posts: 505
I know huh? I had a month or so of quiet after it closed. A friend of mine moved into the Wyatt recently though and looks directly at Safeway from the lower corner. The old SoLo entrance is visible directly down the street a block away so I told him how lucky he was that it is closed now.

Back to the topic of this thread... I went into Safeway a couple nights ago and it is pretty nice inside (although not really all that different from any other Safeway). The staff is a little too eager to ask if you need any help though. Got a little annoying after about the 5th time someone asked if I was finding everything okay. I suppose that should die down after a few months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 12:06 AM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
I went into Safeway a couple nights ago and it is pretty nice inside (although not really all that different from any other Safeway). The staff is a little too eager to ask if you need any help though. Got a little annoying after about the 5th time someone asked if I was finding everything okay. I suppose that should die down after a few months.
It will. I remember when the new downtown Safeway first opened. It was a zoo. Learning where everything is in a grocery store when you move into the area is one thing, but when no one knows where anything is, it gets nutty. Everyone suddenly turns into a little kid at the mall - looking everywhere but where they're going. Ahh well!

Don't forget to grab one of those grand opening coupon books. Who can resist a bargain at a time like this?

By the way - is it me, or is the new Pearl Safeway smaller than the one downtown? It felt really small when I dropped by - but then again, that was the opening day and it was packed with shoppers (and gawkers too, I suppose).

I don't like the building, but I sure am glad Safeway is open. I'm hoping it'll help with the crowds at the downtown Safeway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:08 AM
PacificNW PacificNW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,116
They are both around 40,000-47,000 square feet. Museum Place is 47,000 sq. feet and I read (Google) that the Pearl location is 40,000 sq. feet...

Last edited by PacificNW; Nov 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:35 PM
vjoe's Avatar
vjoe vjoe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 80
Man, the downtown safeway is so much better after the remodel though. night and day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 6:16 PM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,523
Uhm... the downtown Safeway wasn't a remodel. They built a new store across the street from the old one, then tore the old one down. You're right though, it's a night and day difference. I'm told that the new downtown Safeway is busier than the old one ever was.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
Okstate's Avatar
Okstate Okstate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE PDX
Posts: 1,367
[QUOTE]You'll have to give some examples of Oklahoma malls though, I'd be interested to see what the differences are.../QUOTE]

I'm actually referring more to the "feel" of the space than the stores themselves. I have no designing talent in my head whatsoever but I can still feel like I'm surrounded by a bit more class sometimes.

Examples of (what I would consider)
Tier 1 shopping in OK:
Penn Square-OKC (Very similar stores but much more open feeling with more attention to detail)
50 Penn Place-OKC (interior...not so much however EVERY store is in line with Marios pricing)
Utica Square-Tulsa (like Bridgeport)

Tier 2 shopping comparable to Wash. Sq:
Woodland Hills-Tulsa
Quail Springs- OKC
-------------------------
Anyway, went to both Lil Green Grocer & Safeway last week. Safeway was jam packed. I was the only one at LGG...so I decided I needed to buy something.

Last edited by Okstate; Nov 21, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 12:17 AM
bvpcvm bvpcvm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
Anyway, went to both Lil Green Grocer & Safeway last week. Safeway was jam packed. I was the only one at LGG...so I decided I needed to buy something.
i was kind of surprised by little green grocer. it's incredibly small, the selection seemed like it was stuff you could more or less get at safeway - well, ok, maybe you'd need to go to whole foods. i left there thinking - what were they thinking?? surely they knew safeway would be just one block away. we'll see if they make it.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 2:32 AM
Okstate's Avatar
Okstate Okstate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE PDX
Posts: 1,367
^ i guess if you want to avoid the crowds at Safeway this could be someones cup of tea. I don't care how lame the Safeway is perceived, it adds a whole new life to the area that was badly missing IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:08 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.