Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy
I agree with Future Mayor. As I see it, until Urban Planning is included in the General Education curriculum, The majority of the public will make stupid decisions. This is because of the environment in which many Americans live today. They live among many of the Planning mistakes of the past, therefore, their flawed experience will inform them in any decisions they make. Until the majority understand human settlements and how they do and do not work, decisions like this should be left to the experts and also to those observant residents in the City proper.
|
Planning does not work without public input. The so called experts do not know everything or have all the answers. I think people get the very basics of human settlement (i.e. that groups settle together for mutally beneficial reasons : security, trade, socialization, etc). People also are very good at identifying the types of things they want their community to be. The planners job is to simply help the community find solutions to problems, not to create the solutions by themselves. Like it or not, that is what we do, whether it is traffic congestion, incompatible land use, pollution, etc. planners take the issue du jour and present the best professional opinion they can. Dictating social behavior has never been successful and never will because the basic human element is indivualality, but if you give people options to choose fom, they will collectively come up with the right decision.
While I think the public will have the ultimate say, the site selection is really irrelevant at this stage. I don't think the public cares all that much about the location, except for keeping it downtown. what they will care about is how much it is going to cost them and what types of other things are not going to get funded as a result of the theater getting built. If the money comes solely from SLC, then great, leave it up the city. However, if funding comes from the County and/or the State, then every resident of the county or state has a say in the process. I personally think that public safety is a much more important expenditure of public money at this point.