HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #421  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 9:57 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorker View Post
Hey guys,
I was wondering if there are any plans for the parking lot on Lower Water, between Morris and Terminal rd. (the site across from the new NSPower building) Sorry if this topic has been recently discussed, but I usually post on SSC, and clearly their Halifax content is lacking.
Thanks
I do not know of any plans for that specfic spot but there are many things happening around it (Alexander. Vic, and NSP renovation). I think the land is currently owned by NSPI but I'm not an expert on this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #422  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Yes, it's owned by NSP. That along with the waterfront power station renovation probably implies nothing for the site for a long time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #423  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 2:31 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Yah, from what I've heard from the developers doing the Vic and others in the area. There are no plans and that land could very well remain a parking lot for the coming 20 years. Very sad if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #424  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 3:22 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
I'm not aware.

There are going to be a number of developments in this area though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #425  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorker View Post
Hey guys,
I was wondering if there are any plans for the parking lot on Lower Water, between Morris and Terminal rd. (the site across from the new NSPower building) Sorry if this topic has been recently discussed, but I usually post on SSC, and clearly their Halifax content is lacking.
Thanks
The lot is owned by Emera/NSPI and i figure the use will be as a parking lot for their new building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #426  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 12:17 PM
GUB's Avatar
GUB GUB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
The lot is owned by Emera/NSPI and i figure the use will be as a parking lot for their new building.
I think it would be a great spot for a park/some kind of public space to tie into the waterfront ped. traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #427  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 2:09 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUB View Post
I think it would be a great spot for a park/some kind of public space to tie into the waterfront ped. traffic.
I think the lot would be better served as high density residential my self.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #428  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 5:15 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
I also think that high density residential would be best for that site. Something along the lines of other buildings that have gone up or are proposed for that area.

Another key site is the land behind the Westin.

At least for now there are still multiple nearby projects in the works and a few recently completed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #429  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:39 PM
NorthYorker NorthYorker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Thanks for the info guys. Actually, I'm doing this research for a school project. I'll partly be discussing ideas for future use, so to hear your opinions are great. Why do you think high-density residential is good? I hadn't made a decision yet, but I'm thinking about its place as a connection (between the piers/touristy area and downtown). A park is an option too, but I think something more appropriate could be done. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #430  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 9:28 PM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 706
If I recall correctly, NSP also owns frontage on Hollis Street on this block. Essentially everything that is vacant is owned by NSP. If they don't use it for parking, I kind of wonder whether they'll end up selling it. The possibility of owning nearly a complete block would no doubt be appealing to developers and NSP isn't exactly in the development game. I personally think the best use of the block would be mid-rise residential (8 stories or so) with, perhaps, some street front retail on the ground floor. That would fit in with the dense, but low-rise neighbourhood that's already here. Residential would also help link Pier 21 into the rest of the downtown. Putting a park on that site would just further emphasize the dead zone between Pier 21 and the rest of the city whereas developing it would help integrate the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #431  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 10:17 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
I'm a part owner of the Henry House, so all this development in the area is great for us. Also, my cousin works for the federal goverment, and he has told me that the goverment building at Harvey and Barrington is about to be sold to developers. (the building is about 8 stories tall and yellow brick, I forget the name of it however) I have been told that the developer behind the W and the 10 story HOLLIS/Morris building is very interested in the property and he would consider converting the exsisting building into lofts and building town house's in the parking lot behind ( the parking lot is only zoned fo house's. Hopfully someone else buy's it and creates something special, something that will add quality and character to Barrington.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #432  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 9:55 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I'm a part owner of the Henry House, so all this development in the area is great for us. Also, my cousin works for the federal goverment, and he has told me that the goverment building at Harvey and Barrington is about to be sold to developers. (the building is about 8 stories tall and yellow brick, I forget the name of it however) I have been told that the developer behind the W and the 10 story HOLLIS/Morris building is very interested in the property and he would consider converting the exsisting building into lofts and building town house's in the parking lot behind ( the parking lot is only zoned fo house's. Hopfully someone else buy's it and creates something special, something that will add quality and character to Barrington.
There is more then just that developer looking to aquire that building. Last time i heard there was over 10 waiting to bid.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #433  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 6:10 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Here's an article that mentions a new building at Dal, which I guess is under construction where the management building used to be on Coburg Rd: http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id30435

Rendering:



They are going for LEED Silver certification. It looks nice... certainly better than the old building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #434  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 7:37 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
That's quite a nice building. Looks like it should be retails though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #435  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 8:43 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
That does look nice. To bad its hidden on Coburg Road not somewheres more open like SGR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #436  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 12:06 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
It totally looks like it should be retail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #437  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 11:21 PM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
What's with all these designs lately with that ugly style roof? Nice building, but I don't like that roof...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #438  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 3:12 PM
Spitfire75 Spitfire75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Posts: 254
Anyone know what they're doing with the lot on the corner of Joseph Howe and Dutch Village where that gas station used to be?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #439  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 3:36 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Anyone know what they're doing with the lot on the corner of Joseph Howe and Dutch Village where that gas station used to be?
Nothing i've heard
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #440  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 7:05 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Anyone know what they're doing with the lot on the corner of Joseph Howe and Dutch Village where that gas station used to be?
I don't remeber a gas station ever being there but i do know that they've been working on a building there for a long time. They've been doing it for at least one year now. I'm nto sure what was going to happen to it but i do remember they had it gutted out in the spring time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.