HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:25 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
Federally, people in Winnipeg South tired of Reg Alcock. You can argue that he spent time away - and that certainly hurt him - but Conservative MP's in Alberta spend much of the election a long way from their territory. Alcock was ousted because he was there a long time and because people in Winnipeg South tired of the Liberal brand. .
People in South Winnipeg didn't tire of the Winnipeg brand, they got caught up in the whole Adscam fiasco that allowed the conservative candidate the opportunity to squeak out a victory in an otherwise safe Liberal seat.

Had Adscam not happened, Alcock would still be where he is, and further, Glen Murray would be the MP for Charleswood/Assiniboia.

The way that Alberta votes is a pretty isolated case I would think. I brought this up in the Canada votes thread, but in Alberta it seems that any Conservative Candidate could go door to door in their constituency and punch every eligable voter in the face, and still win with 75% of the vote.

Alberta would vote in 90 to 100% conservative MP's even if Stephen Harper ran a campaign to reinstate the NEP, and a full fledged Monarchy system with himself as King (well the King part isn't that far from the truth).

Persoanlly, I am an ABC in this election.

Traditionally I am a soft Liberal supporter. However where I live (Winnipeg Centre) there is little chance that Pat Martin will NOT win. Therefore I will vote NDP so that I don't in effect split the centre/left votes to somehow let the Conservative Candidate a chance to squeak in.

I hope this election ends the same as the previous with a Conservative minority. This will give the Liberals official reasons to dump Dion, and put somebody electable in his place. I really hope it's Kennedy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.