HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5661  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:15 AM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
Is it dead?

From Angelenic,

Titan organization forecloses on land? sources say yes



By Stephen Friday on September 12, 2008

Developer Titan Organization drew a lot of media attention in late 2006 when it purchased a $30 million plot of land on the southeast corner of Grand and Olympic — including options to acquire additional parcels on Olive Street — with plans to erect a twin-tower mega development known as City House and Olympic.

The 60+-story mixed-use project designed by Robertson Partners has been reconfigured several times, all of which have shown dual structures in a majestic, “new beaux-arts” style of architecture.

Though some believed it was never a serious proposal (looking somewhat like an extra-credit project for an architecture undergrad), City House and Olympic was seen by many as an opportunity to fill in a stubborn dead-zone of South Park while adding diversity to the Downtown skyline.

Now, according to trustworthy inside sources, those plans have completely dissolved.


Financial issues associated with Titan have allegedly led its lender to foreclose on the property, leading to speculation that the options to buy the parcels along Olive may have been lost as well.

This information is not publicly verifiable at the moment, and phone calls made last week to inquire about the status of the City House and Olympic development were not returned.

Over the last several years, one of the company’s principal players, Mark Alan Abrams, has struggled with allegations and ongoing investigations involving real estate fraud. Whether or not these circumstances are related is unknown.

Research for this story reveals Titan is not currently a tenant of US Bank Tower as the company’s website claims. Furthermore, the entire 56th floor of the office building (included in Titan’s address) is currently available for lease.
     
     
  #5662  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:35 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652


Starline Tours Launching New Way to See Downtown

By Stephen Friday
September 14, 2008

You’ve seen them trolling around parts of historic Hollywood, encircling movie studios and parking in front of celebrity homes — now Downtown seems to have mustered up some mainstream tourist appeal of its own.

Starline Tours is launching a new “hop-on-hop-off” double-decker bus tour service, showing off all our central city has to offer.

A press conference to be held this Thursday at 10:00am in front of the Olvera Street Plaza Fire House will kick off the daily tour. Expect appearances by Councilmembers José Huizar, Jan Perry and Tom LaBonge alongside Starline Tours President Vahid Sapir and Chairman Kami Farhadi.

The inaugural run will depart the site of El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument, travel through Little Tokyo and down the Broadway corridor, then make its way to sites such as LA Live, the Staples Center and Walt Disney Concert Hall before trekking through Civic Center Park and Chinatown.

There are a total of 13 stops along the 70-minute route, featuring audio information about various sites, buildings and landmarks.

Buses will run regularly throughout the day, allowing riders to embark and disembark at any stop they wish in order to visit Downtown’s cultural, entertainment and government icons at their leisure.

After the official launch this week, the service will be offered every day from 9:30am to 5:30pm, and loops will be made continuously throughout the day.

Photo credit: Flickr user So Cal Metro.
     
     
  #5663  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:43 AM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
That would be interesting, to say the least.
     
     
  #5664  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 2:21 AM
RuFFy's Avatar
RuFFy RuFFy is offline
FlyyyFALiiFe
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 364
Perhaps they're trying to sell the remaining units by using their own "free" billboards before putting up other advertisements. What do you think?
     
     
  #5665  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 2:26 AM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
Perhaps they're trying to sell the remaining units by using their own "free" billboards before putting up other advertisements. What do you think?
I agree. I mean I don't know about you but if I'm building a 20 or 30 story condo, I would make a sign saying the name, what the price is on whatever unit someone might be interested in buying, the phone number, and some cheap, 'urban' slogan like, 'EVO: Downtown's rEVOlution' or some nonsense. And leave it there for as long as I want to. Long before I think about putting an ad up for Starbucks or McDonalds. Because I'm sure everyone on earth has been there.
     
     
  #5666  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 3:26 AM
StethJeff's Avatar
StethJeff StethJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Here's a thought: why have there been few advertisements on the billboards at L.A. Live or Hanover that are about companies or organizations that weren't sponsors or huge corporate investors of those developments?

Do you see any variety of ads?....because all I see are things about 717 Olympic......
Anybody who thinks self-promotion ads are all thats needed is not thinking straight.

It's better than beer and soup.
     
     
  #5667  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 4:18 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
Hmm, I disagree, and here's why:
After a while people visiting-and especially those living in-Downtown that care to look at these signs will start to notice that they are seeing the same ads over and over again. And then that is when they will begin to wonder, "why hasn't there been different ads promoting different stuff? I'm curious and confused. Wait a second...Aha! I think I understand now; is this the kind of personality and atmosphere that this particular area of this grand city wants to have? Does it really like having Billboards with advertisements that only talk about the venues or developments that they sit on? Does it not like wide creativity and variety? I certainly do. Perhaps I should shop, hang out, or even live somewhere else in this town the next time opportunity presents itself, like when housing costs drop elsewhere in more expensive areas, or when i'm visiting here again."
In other words, we need not only newcomers to Downtown L.A., but others that have already been here previously.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Sep 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM.
     
     
  #5668  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 4:35 PM
BigDan35's Avatar
BigDan35 BigDan35 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Besides, most of us are gay. We have better taste than you by default.
Ehh, I'm straight...thank you very much.
     
     
  #5669  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 6:14 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
Ehh, I'm straight...thank you very much.
Most. Not all.

JDR, remind me that if you ever build a condo building, look elsewhere because of your belief of posting ads for other businesses as opposed to your own building. Bad business.
     
     
  #5670  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 7:19 PM
DowntownCharlieBrown's Avatar
DowntownCharlieBrown DowntownCharlieBrown is offline
Good Grief
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Downtown, Orange County, L.A.
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Hmm, I disagree, and here's why:
After a while people visiting-and especially those living in-Downtown that care to look at these signs will start to notice that they are seeing the same ads over and over again. And then that is when they will begin to wonder, "why hasn't there been different ads promoting different stuff? I'm curious and confused. Wait a second...Aha! I think I understand now; is this the kind of personality and atmosphere that this particular area of this grand city wants to have? Does it really like having Billboards with advertisements that only talk about the venues or developments that they sit on? Does it not like wide creativity and variety? I certainly do. Perhaps I should shop, hang out, or even live somewhere else in this town the next time opportunity presents itself, like when housing costs drop elsewhere in more expensive areas, or when i'm visiting here again."
In other words, we need not only newcomers to Downtown L.A., but others that have already been here previously.
The owners of the building are going to do with the signs whatever brings them in the most money. I'm sure they are surveying each potential tenant to find out how they heard about the building. As long as their polls show the signs are having an efffect, they will stay. Besides, if they don't lease up the building and make it viable, at some point it won't be their building, and they won't have any say as to what goes on the signs. The bank will make that dicision.


But, I agree, I can't wait to see a nice Target ad up there.
     
     
  #5671  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 2:36 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Metropolis


From Flickr, by lacurbed


From Flickr, by lacurbed


From Flickr, by lacurbed


From Flickr, by lacurbed
     
     
  #5672  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 2:48 AM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
It lives! And it's..not —. Not amazing but not —.
     
     
  #5673  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 3:07 AM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
Yes, I like it better than the other proposals for Metropolis. Remind me which phase that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Bad business.
How? Please explain.
     
     
  #5674  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 3:11 AM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Yes, I like it better than the other proposals for Metropolis. Remind me which phase that is?
I'll give you a hint: It's phase 1.

And I already explained:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I agree. I mean I don't know about you but if I'm building a 20 or 30 story condo, I would make a sign saying the name, what the price is on whatever unit someone might be interested in buying, the phone number, and some cheap, 'urban' slogan like, 'EVO: Downtown's rEVOlution' or some nonsense. And leave it there for as long as I want to. Long before I think about putting an ad up for Starbucks or McDonalds. Because I'm sure everyone on earth has been there.
     
     
  #5675  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:06 AM
ladowntowner ladowntowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DTLA
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post

From Flickr, by lacurbed
^ I realize this is fronting a freeway offramp, but geez... the non-disguised garage is horrid and almost makes me wish for at least a camo'd podium in it's stead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post

From Flickr, by lacurbed
^ Interesting how they chose a background without Hanover, Concerto, 717, Market Lofts (which looks like a dirt pit)... is this an indication of the age of these renders, or, rather, a conscious effort/decision to not acknowledge competitors?

Does anyone believe that this proposal will see the light of day (outside of these renders) any time soon - if ever, especially given the massive financial crisis currently underway/ongoing?
     
     
  #5676  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:46 AM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
It's been proposed for 20 years or some — right? What's another 20?
     
     
  #5677  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:55 AM
ladowntowner ladowntowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DTLA
Posts: 441
^ That's right, IIRC. Point taken.
     
     
  #5678  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 5:08 AM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladowntowner View Post
Interesting how they chose a background without Hanover, Concerto, 717, Market Lofts (which looks like a dirt pit)... is this an indication of the age of these renders, or, rather, a conscious effort/decision to not acknowledge competitors?
I think they just used an older photo. It's not cheap to commission a new one with a helicopter.

Design of the tower is ho-hum. Kind of average filler, but in a pretty prominent location. Would like to see something better, but maybe future phases will get better. Still, not horrible.
     
     
  #5679  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 5:51 AM
ladowntowner ladowntowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DTLA
Posts: 441
^ Agreed. The tower itself is not awful, but certainly not astounding... I just really hate the fact that the parking garage component takes up 70% of the footprint of this phase. I understand two of the sides bordering it are freeway on/off ramps and probably a bit difficult to utilize elsewise, but they could've at least done more to hide it ala L.A. Central...
     
     
  #5680  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:04 AM
Steve2726's Avatar
Steve2726 Steve2726 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: L.A.
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladowntowner View Post
Interesting how they chose a background without Hanover, Concerto, 717, Market Lofts (which looks like a dirt pit)... is this an indication of the age of these renders, or, rather, a conscious effort/decision to not acknowledge competitors?
This is cropped into the same photo they have had on their website for the last 5 years.-

http://www.idsrealestate.com/Metro.htm



versus

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.