HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 1:49 PM
Closed account

Lol...sweet image.
Yea, I agree. if we're going to allow these things, let's allow them on the roadway. the more types of vehicles allowed on our roads the better for everyone.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 3:51 PM

I wish they would get a couple horses instead. These are so stupid

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 7:14 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
RE: cops using them. I'm in favour of cops being more visible whatever it takes, horses, rickshas, bikes or segways. But I think these should be allowed on City streets like other vehicles. Automobiles have to get used to other forms of transportation SHARING THE PUBLIC space, paid and built for everyone to use.
Absolutely. It is only fair.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
Absolutely. It is only fair.
I don't know if you guys noticed, but we have 5-lane expressways running through town. These were not built for pedestrians or for devices with a maximum speed of 15 km/h.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 9:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

^ and whose problem is that? The people who choose not to own cars and drive like a maniac down the 5-lane expressway or the people who do? that's the dilema in this city. Either vehicles have to give or alternative transpo has to give.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
I don't know if you guys noticed, but we have 5-lane expressways running through town. These were not built for pedestrians or for devices with a maximum speed of 15 km/h.
That's exactly the problem. So I guess everyone here is equal, but motorists are more equal than anyone else.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:20 AM

Quote:
^ and whose problem is that? The people who choose not to own cars and drive like a maniac down the 5-lane expressway or the people who do? that's the dilema in this city. Either vehicles have to give or alternative transpo has to give.
It's everybody's problem. I'm not for 5-lane expressways through downtown cores as I've said in the past. Leave the 140 km/h cruises for the four-oh-something freeways and let's get to making a real downtown.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 2:47 AM

Quote:
I have a picture in my mind of a new form of 'cop chase'. a criminal on a segway as the getaway vehicle and one of Hamilton's finest chasing him.... down narrow alleys, jumps, stairs all coming down to the better skilled Segway driver.
LOL, and I picture that as a Kids in the Hall type skit.

Apparently, it's already

Crooks: 1
Cops : 0

Because the crooks are laughing too.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 1:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Segway fails to blaze a new trail for police
Transporter had 'traction issues'

September 13, 2008
John Burman
The Hamilton Spectator

In the end, the Segway was defeated by a familiar enemy: Canadian winter.

Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan will tell the police services board Monday the Segway -- a two-wheel, high-tech "transporter" police tested for three months -- didn't work out.

It had "traction issues" in bad weather.

Police put the Segway through a three-month pilot project and loved the visibility it provided officers riding head and shoulders above the sidewalk crowd and appreciated the wow factor it had on everyone who saw it.

But, Mullan says in his report, the Segway suffered reduced battery life and traction issues that made it a challenge to operate in bad weather.

On top of that, it was rather difficult to park -- it had to be leaned up against something -- and there was no way to lock it up.

Ward 3 city Councillor Bernie Morelli, chair of the police services board, said yesterday the borrowed Segway that several officers learned to ride in the trial has gone back to its owners.

Morelli noted the Segway pilot project was started after police met with the James Street North community following a particularly brutal murder in September 2007. It was tried as one of a number of means of providing increased police visibility in the area.

The Segway was tested in March, April and May this year.

Morelli, who never got to drive the Segway, but did stand on it to assess the view from the platform, said he's satisfied the machine got a thorough workout.

"We tried it, but I don't think it was the thing for patrol use."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Segway fails to blaze a new trail for police
Transporter had 'traction issues'

September 13, 2008
John Burman
The Hamilton Spectator

In the end, the Segway was defeated by a familiar enemy: Canadian winter.

Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan will tell the police services board Monday the Segway -- a two-wheel, high-tech "transporter" police tested for three months -- didn't work out.
I know that weather this past summer wasn't ideal, but I'd hardly typify it as being winter.

I'm confused how it was defeated by winter. I understand that it wouldn't be on the beat during the winter, but then again neither are bicycles.

As many of us commented when this project was announced, it was a dumb idea.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 3:40 PM

I agree, personally I'd like police that are comfortable walking and fit enough to run if needed!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 7:19 PM
Closed account

they made the right choice.
It's the police. They aren't going to come out and say 'this was a friggin stupid idea'. So instead they're blaming it on winter. lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure