Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa
Attended the open house, it was pretty disappointing as everything was already know, to us at least. no models, just the exact same stuff on the website i posted. I had a chance to speak with Clive Grout though and it made it worthwhile. The Asia-Pacific Centre and the front of the Art Gallery (Georgia Side) will be a separate phase and the public consultation will be in the fall. Depending on how that goes will influence when it gets completed.
Apparently there is some rumblings that it could meet opposition. Erickson is touchy about anyone spoiling his masterpiece. He is being consulted and hopefully he stays happy with any changes.
Would be nice if some of the members attended these openhouses, something always seems to come up. I know there's a couple that do, but most seem to only express interest online. 
|
I had a guided tour of the law courts when the VAG held the Arthur Erickson retrospective:
-originally, the plan was to encourage pedestrian traffic north/south thru the complex.
-the entrances by the skating rink originally was planned to be an entrance to an underground rapid transit station that would further enhance pedestrian activity around the complex.
-the concrete is tinged slightly pink. I double checked on this, and if you look closely, esp after it rains, you can see this. Not surprisingly, this actually took some time to perfect and added a fair bit of cost to the material.
I do think that some things don't work for vancouver in 2008 (the garden paths/walkways hidden from the street). My pipe dream would have been to have robson go thru as an underpass and have a larger car-free pedestrian square where the surface street currently is.