Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite
High-rise apartments to replace bars
Austin Business Journal - by Jean Kwon ABJ Staff
A high-rise apartment tower is being planned for downtown's Warehouse District in an area teeming with new residential activity.
Gables Residential plans to build a roughly 200-foot tower with about 220 units and 15,000 square feet of retail and commercial space at Fourth and Guadalupe streets. Gables bought the nearly half-acre site of former Fox & Hound Smokehouse and Tavern, east of Republic Square Park, from a group of local investors last year. The 15-year-old Gingerman Pub, also on the site, will move, general manager Kristin Jacobson says.
The pub's original facade will be preserved as a historical feature of the new building, says Jennifer Wiebrand, spokeswoman for Gables Residential. The project will be able to support up to 70,000 square feet of parking.
Construction is expected to begin in late 2009 and be completed in 18 to 24 months.
|
I guess I'm alone on this... but I will be glad to remind....
After the hideous result of the property at Lamar and 5th that "preserved" the facade of the old Goodwill, I am very wary of this solution to the Gingerman Building. The Goodwill facade was basically ignored and painted away. I think this is a shame. The result is a suburban apartment building with an reminder of a missed opportunity.
We need to careful about giving up quality for density. If 4th becomes generic, we loose. I am not happy that this building was not saved.
****Think about how much more interesting the intersection just 2 blocks away (at 2nd and Guadalupe) because the Lambert's building is there! Really think about it. That gave that area sooooo much more interest by providing contrast to the new! Think of that intersection without it. Far less interesting. Don 't give up so easy folks.