HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I only pay $40/month for unlimited local calling anytime with city fido, signed up 3 years ago, it was the best deal out there, I also have unlimited data for free because I bought a N95 with has wifi access, as long as I'm in the city core I'm fine. A friend of mine has an HTC phone running the Windows MOS also with wifi and he runs skype on it and doesn't pay for anycalls.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:06 PM

Yes but you didn't get the N95 through Fido. And you said unlimited local calling. How about long distance to another Fido subscriber?

How many wi-fi capable phones does Fido sell? Any?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
I understand economies of scale and all, but we aren't just paying a little bit more, we're paying astronomically more. And prices in the US are way cheaper than Canada. Most plans in the US are unlimited calling/text for around $40 per month and no long distance if you're calling somebody who uses the same provider. Canadian companies also nickel and dime us to death charging retarded rates for text messaging, data transfer, multi-media messaging (if it even works properly) etc.

Either way, it still doesn't explain why we're being charged hundreds of dollars for handsets that are all but obsolete in the rest of the world.
i was looking into getting a new phone but the phones available are the same ones i saw last february

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:28 PM

It seems Canadian consumers get hosed on just about everything, from wireless to cable TV to alcohol to gasoline to cars which are still 20% more expensive than in the US even when the dollar is at par. I know there are a variety of factors leading to this, but sure is frustrating...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i was looking into getting a new phone but the phones available are the same ones i saw last february
If you already have a SIM card then order an unlocked phone on Ebay. You can get them brand new from Europe or Hong Kong and some from the US as well. You'll pay maybe $100-$200 more than if you get a contract phone in Canada, but you'll have a phone that's light years ahead of the phones sold here and you won't be tied into a contract.

Kris

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:20 PM
Mooderator

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...kUn4iV9LR4yVSw

Quote:

Ottawa opens up Canada's telecom industry to more competition

3 minutes ago

TORONTO - The federal government is opening up Canada's wireless communications industry to more competition, a move that could lead to lower cellphone rates.

Industry Minister Jim Prentice says an auction of wireless spectrum to be held next May is aimed at generating lower prices, better service and more choice for consumers.

Prentice made the announcement Wednesday in Toronto.

In the auction, about 105 megahertz of spectrum will be made available for bidders, with 40 megahertz set aside for newcomers to the industry.

The telecom market is currently dominated by its three biggest players, Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B), Bell Mobility (TSX:BCE) and Telus (TSX:T).

Telecom industry watchers say increased competition could help pull down cellphone rates in Canada, which are significantly higher than in either the United States or Europe.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great news!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:36 PM
Calgreedian

Calgary cellphone user rings up $85,000 bill
CATHERINE MCLEAN

Globe and Mail

December 13, 2007

There are many things $85,000 can buy: a sleek Porsche sports car, a four-week dream vacation on Sir Richard Branson's private Caribbean island, or a serious shopping spree at Gucci.

Unfortunately for 22-year-old Piotr Staniaszek, all he got was less than two months of Internet service on his Bell Mobility cellphone.

Mr. Staniaszek's costly telecom nightmare began when the Bell Mobility customer recently decided to renew his wireless contract, his father explained yesterday. In return, he received a new cellphone. That's when his troubles began.

Equipped with a $10 unlimited mobile browser plan, Mr. Staniaszek believed he could use his cellphone as a modem for his computer and started spending a lot of time on the Internet, downloading high-definition movies and other bandwidth-hungry applications.

Then the cellphone bill from hell arrived on his parent's doorstep in Calgary about a week or 10 days ago. His mother was the first to see it and was in a panic, the father, also named Piotr Staniaszek, said yesterday. According to the bill, the son had rung up $60,000 in cellphone charges in November.

The father's first reaction? It was all a mistake. "I told her, this much is unreal, don't worry," the father said.

When their son called Bell Mobility, however, he received more bad news. The bill had since climbed to $85,000 because the company was charging him on a per-kilobyte basis.

In what Bell Mobility calls a "goodwill" gesture, it offered to reduce the charges to match the best data plan available for using cellphones as a modem, according to Bell spokesman Mark Langton. He said the outstanding bill now totals $3,243.

So far, Mr. Staniaszek has opted to fight the charge, his father said. Even though he usually pays about $160 a month, he was not warned by Bell Mobility when his charges started surging.

"I told them I wasn't aware that I would be charged for hooking up my phone to the computer," Mr. Staniaszek told CBC News yesterday. "I'm going to try and fight it because I didn't know about the extra charges. Nobody explained any of this to me." He was not available for interviews yesterday as he didn't want to use his cellphone and ring up long-distance charges, his father said.

The father said it hasn't been an easy time for his son, a well-tester who works in Alberta. He is worried about his credit record. Moreover, there is less work as low natural-gas prices and the province's plan to increase royalties have slowed down activity in the field.

"He's now dragged down with this huge bill," his father said.

Mr. Staniaszek's billing headache with Bell Mobility highlights concerns about the state of competition and prices in Canada's wireless industry.

A study last month from SeaBoard Group, for example, showed that data rates for cellphones are still much higher in Canada than the U.S.

According to the study, Sprint Nextel Corp. customers pay the equivalent of $70.19, adjusted for purchasing-power parity, for an unlimited data plan that lets them use their cellphones as a modem.

The Bell spokesman declined to say how much the data usage by Mr. Staniaszek really costs the company, citing competitive reasons.

Mr. Langton said that Mr. Staniaszek should have known that using the cellphone as a modem wasn't part of his data plan, saying it wasn't "accidental." When the customer downloaded the software to do so, a warning came up that said there would be additional data charges on top of the mobile browser plan, he said.

Bell, however, is changing its approach. Two months ago, it started a trial of a program that monitors data usage on cellphones. It has since been implemented. But it failed to catch the $85,000 customer because of billing cycles.

"No one should get an extraordinary bill like this without getting a warning," Mr. Langton said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:57 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
The Bell spokesman declined to say how much the data usage by Mr. Staniaszek really costs the company, citing competitive reasons.
I'm sure it must be somewhere close to $85,000.. because cell phone companies' profit margins are ridiculously tiny, you know.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Why don't they get their stupid fvcking beavers talking about ripoff roaming fees?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:34 AM

"At least we have free healthcare!

If you like America's cheap cellphone rates / high crime rates, why don't you just move there?"

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
If you already have a SIM card then order an unlocked phone on Ebay. You can get them brand new from Europe or Hong Kong and some from the US as well. You'll pay maybe $100-$200 more than if you get a contract phone in Canada, but you'll have a phone that's light years ahead of the phones sold here and you won't be tied into a contract.

Kris
i have bad credit so i have to stick with what i have with telus for a few more years until my credit hopefully gets better

without a credit card its pretty much impossible to do anything when wanting services without plunking down obscene deposits

my friend ordered a phone from craigslist and he is with rogers and he has had nothing but problems with service - he heard that if you don't buy the phone from Rogers they screw with your service - i don't think thats true but the phone seems ok but the service is awful

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 2:50 AM

Quote:
i have bad credit so i have to stick with what i have with telus for a few more years until my credit hopefully gets better

without a credit card its pretty much impossible to do anything when wanting services without plunking down obscene deposits

my friend ordered a phone from craigslist and he is with rogers and he has had nothing but problems with service - he heard that if you don't buy the phone from Rogers they screw with your service - i don't think thats true but the phone seems ok but the service is awful

I went into a Rogers Wireless store in NW Calgary the other day....Crowfoot location to be exact...It was about 7.50pm...The guy inside said he was closed, I asked what time he closes and he said 8pm....I asked him what time it was right now and he told me 7.52pm...I told him that he wasnt closed and then he replied with "What do you want?"...My response was "nothing anymore"...

I was pissed and left the store...I came back and asked for the business card to the manager and he said he was the manager....I told him that seeing he is the manager, his service was shit...He again said it was 7.58 and was closing...I thought to myself that it was the fastest 6 minutes of my life...I did find out who owns the place as a colleague I work with at used to work there while in university...Complaint underway but I doubt it will get anywhere...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:18 AM

Quote:

Your friend is somewhat right. Rogers tech help isn't much of a help unless you have one of their paperweight phones. But it's only with service features (Multimedia messaging, video phone etc.) Voice mail etc works fine. And I can live without multimedia messaging on rogers considering the cost of it. Having a phone that do so much other stuff not dependent on the network is worth it. Especially if you travel a lot like I do.

Kris

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:09 PM
Mooderator

Auction is taking place as we speak. It will probably take a month to complete. Results will be posted on Industry Canada's website:

www.ic.gc.ca/spectrumauctions

24 entrants

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=861255

Quote:

Government of Canada Opens Up Wireless Industry to More Competition

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - May 27, 2008) - The Honourable Jim Prentice, Minister of Industry, today announced the opening of the bidding process for the Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum auction. This auction follows a commitment made by this government to enable more competition in the wireless market. A total of 105 megahertz (MHz) of radio spectrum will be open for bidding, which includes 40 MHz of AWS spectrum for new entrants and another 65 MHz of spectrum for all bidders.

"Our government's intentions are clear: to achieve lower prices, better service and more choice for consumers and business," said Minister Prentice. "We believe in relying on market forces to the maximum extent feasible because competition benefits consumers, and consumers benefit most when markets are as competitive as they can be."

The auction will unfold over many scheduled rounds. Bidding will occur electronically over the Internet using secure encryption technology. After each round of bidding is completed, the results will be made available to bidders and to the general public on the Industry Canada website. Successive rounds will be held until the cessation of all bidding activity, at which time the auction will close.

Following the close of the auction, winning bidders will be required to submit ownership and control documentation and to complete various payment transactions within 30 business days. Once these steps have been completed, Industry Canada will review the information submitted by each bidder and issue licences as appropriate.

Radio spectrum is the airwaves required for all wireless services, and it is a finite and valuable resource that is used by all Canadians. Since it is a limited national resource, it is the Government of Canada's responsibility to decide how it is to be managed in order to best meet the growing and diverse needs of Canadians.

Further details on the auction of spectrum licences for AWS can be found at www.ic.gc.ca/spectrumauctions.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:44 PM
Round Head

Canadians seem to get screwed all over the place, cars are more expensive, air travel is getting absolutely ridiculous (the average return flight between Toronto and Calgary is approaching $700 now), wireless, not being able to get HBO, showtime etc Time to open up the country.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:54 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I have a friend who pays $5 200 a year for his cell phone.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 12:20 AM

I think one of the reasons the Governement does not let foreign companies enter the Canadian market is that they would only cherry pick the most profitable areas (Van, EDM-CGY, Gld HS & MTL) leaving companies serving the rest of Canada too cash poor to make a national system viable. That said, I do agree that technology in Canada is aweful and way overpriced. I think all companies should use GSM technologies so if they get too greedy customers can transfer their numbers to another network and keep their handset.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
I think one of the reasons the Governement does not let foreign companies enter the Canadian market is that they would only cherry pick the most profitable areas (Van, EDM-CGY, Gld HS & MTL) leaving companies serving the rest of Canada too cash poor to make a national system viable. That said, I do agree that technology in Canada is aweful and way overpriced. I think all companies should use GSM technologies so if they get too greedy customers can transfer their numbers to another network and keep their handset.
A) What's to stop domestic companies from doing the same thing?
B) Rural customers paying the full cost of their service instead of being subsidized by urban customers is a pro, not a con.

Last edited by quobobo; May 28, 2008 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 8:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:

No that's like a lie. I'm on Rogers using a Z610i from Sony Ericsson, which isn't avaliable here. You don't have to tell them you aren't buying your phone here.

Anyways most important now when you are looking at purchasing a phone from somewhere else is to make sure it is quaband phone, that way you get better reception that someone using a triband phone [like me] unless of course it's an American triband phone. This means you have to get a phone with GSM 850/900/1800/1900 or GSM 850/1800/1900 rather than GSM 900/1800/1900. There are plenty of asian stores that sells phones from overseas. In Vancouver, SimStar has the best prices [and more well-known].

Hong Kong has the best prices in the world. 3G is like dirt cheap there. Japan has the best mobile technology in the world [best general technology I would say]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada