HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:15 PM
coalminecanary coalminecanary is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbryan View Post
.. regardless of the fact it's so bright that it completely lights my across-the-street-apartment.
haha! kenny rogers roasters!

__________________
no clever signoff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:58 PM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
classic!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:31 PM
highwater highwater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,555
We had brunch at Baily's and I thought the food was fine, and I'm quite the food snob.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:04 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
haha! kenny rogers roasters!

That is totally exactly what I thought of as well.
__________________
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted May 27, 2008, 11:33 PM
BCTed BCTed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Or maybe the old McDonald's spot on Queenston beside Swiss Chalet... it's literally a hole in the ground, and would fit in well there.
Boston Pizza.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted May 28, 2008, 12:41 AM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Boston Pizza.
Ugh. I think we've got enough of those already.
__________________
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:10 AM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
I think that Capri sign is the same one, but fixed up and with new lights installed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:39 AM
the dude the dude is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
We had brunch at Baily's and I thought the food was fine, and I'm quite the food snob.
i'll let my mom know that she's been out-voted. i'll have to give it a try when i get back to town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:17 PM
Cambridgite
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hey guys. I'm going to briefly be in Hamilton for supper on Friday afternoon, as I am meeting up there with a couple of friends before taking off on a camping trip that night. So wherever we eat downtown, it can't be a really slow service place. Could anyone give me a recommendation?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:11 AM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
Black Forest Inn on King East at Ferguson. The time I went we got our main orders within 10 minutes. It may end up being very busy though, so consider other suggestions as a backup plan. For desert you can hop over to Brownies just East of it.
__________________
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 2:21 AM
Cambridgite
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking for something more central due to time constraints and proximity to the Hamilton GO Centre (picking up a friend to go camping).

I went to the Hunan House on Friday and the Lazy Flamingo today. Both I would recommend.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 1:35 PM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
so the annual VIEW mag dining awards are out.
Great stuff....it's MUCH better than the bland version the Spec does which is full of Swiss Chalet, Taco Bell and other 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
I'll have to check out this Kookaburra place. sounds great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:47 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I'll have to check out this Kookaburra place. sounds great.
"Grilled Kangaroo" sourced from Louisiana, eh? Free range organic? What's the karmic footprint on that dish?

Perry's was around since the '80s and, like many institutions of its age, was in desperate need of a tune-up. That's not the most scenic or pedestrian-friendly stretch, to begin with. Synergy is key. Perry's probably took a hit in the mid-90s when the Just Desserts next door (now a dance studio) closed shop in the wake of the Toronto shooting. But, as elsewhere in the city, small flowers crack concrete.
__________________
"Where architectural imagination is absent, the case is hopeless." - Louis Sullivan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 4:31 PM
markbarbera markbarbera is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,050
This city is seriously lacking in African restaurants. I really miss the Ethiopian and Moroccan places available in Toronto. There doesn't seem to be anything like that here.
__________________
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul"
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:28 PM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
try Safari Samosas at Wilson/Wellington or possibly Curry Cabana at King/Wellington (not sure what kind of food that is though).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:40 PM
markbarbera markbarbera is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,050
Curry Cabana is Guyanese I believe. maybe Cuban? Definitely Carribean style food.

I'll have to check out Safari Samosas sometime. I was watching a cooking show earlier where an Eritrean cook was making injera, which triggered fond memories of meals at Ethiopia House on Irwin Street, just off Yonge in Toronto. I hate not being able to get Ethiopian food here, along with a really good North African tagine or couscous dish.

Wasn't there a Moroccan restaurant on King West by Hess once upon a time? It would have to been open many years ago, or perhaps it just existed in my imagination.
__________________
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul"
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 6:03 PM
FairHamilton FairHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Curry Cabana is Guyanese I believe. maybe Cuban? Definitely Carribean style food.
I'm guessing Guyanese, have never know Cubans to cook with curry. Guyana was once a British Territory, and that meant many workers were brought from India.
__________________
The jobs, stupid!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 8:25 PM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
I haven't been, but apparently Dalina's on King William is good....I think it's Egyptian??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
geoff's two cents geoff's two cents is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 504
Anybody tried the Italian place where Infusions used to be yet - Walked by today and they're open, with a menu on the window to boot. It seems to be a little brighter and cleaner in there than it used to be, which should be a good thing. Given current finances, I'll have to confine myself to an Italian soda on the patio until I know their food is worth it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 2:39 AM
FairHamilton FairHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
Anybody tried the Italian place where Infusions used to be yet - Walked by today and they're open, with a menu on the window to boot. It seems to be a little brighter and cleaner in there than it used to be, which should be a good thing. Given current finances, I'll have to confine myself to an Italian soda on the patio until I know their food is worth it.
I believe rth was there; http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141553&page=39
__________________
The jobs, stupid!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.