HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3141  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 1:28 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Mike, your photos are great. Glad you went up to the clubhouse. I haven't seen that view in a long while.

Hey looky there, Legacy's crane is coming down.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #3142  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 1:43 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I tend to be skeptical of this kind of skepticism. Not to say that the project is on the outs. I'm just skeptical that they engineered an elaborate ruse to fool people into thinking they didn't have the wherewithal.
I'm with you on this.

That isnt to say that 21c isnt in trouble. It could be for all we know.

But, most on this forum thought Spring was DOA 2 years ago, and its going up now. 6 months ago, everyone thought W hotels was DOA, and now its under construction.

There are many projects people thought werent going to happen that did, and a few that people thought were going to happen that have not.
     
     
  #3143  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:12 PM
priller's Avatar
priller priller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,979
Wow, they already have the little drilling machines going at the W site. That was fast.
     
     
  #3144  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:17 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
I had figured The Monarch wouldn't happen either. Or the Four Seasons. I even had doubts about Altavida and Legacy. It's not uncommon to have a two year delay on projects. A project may come out and say they're planning to break ground on a certain date, then it ends up being 2 years later that they actually do it. Some even take longer than that. Very, very few take less than a year to start from the time they're announced.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #3145  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:00 PM
AustinTex AustinTex is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 65
Yes, sir.

The low rise construction you can't place......are the new Gables Apartments going up on 5th street, inbound from Mopac into downtown. The new ones across from El Arroyo. (doesn't this city have enough Gables apartments? the most boxy, tight, and over priced pieces of .........)
     
     
  #3146  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:19 PM
Aiphanes Aiphanes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I had figured The Monarch wouldn't happen either. Or the Four Seasons. I even had doubts about Altavida and Legacy. It's not uncommon to have a two year delay on projects. A project may come out and say they're planning to break ground on a certain date, then it ends up being 2 years later that they actually do it. Some even take longer than that. Very, very few take less than a year to start from the time they're announced.
Yep I agree...a not of projects we think will never happen and finally they did...look at San Antonio...people though the city was crazy when they started building the Vidorra, Vistanna, Broadway and condos on top of the Grand Hyatt...but people bought them all up. Once these are successful, they will start to build more and then San Antonio will get fully into the game like Austin already is. But it is till amazing how many residental highrises that Austin has built or is building....and it is actually amazing that San Antonio is building 4 of them at the same time.

Its going to be great to see what these two cities will look like in 10 to 15 years...by then there will be another skyscraper boom...Austin can at least go towards the east side of IH-35....and San Antonio can build also on the East Side of IH-37...there is still plenty of space to build up the downtowns in both cities.
     
     
  #3147  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:40 PM
CHAPINM1's Avatar
CHAPINM1 CHAPINM1 is offline
JoeCooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I had figured The Monarch wouldn't happen either. Or the Four Seasons. I even had doubts about Altavida and Legacy. It's not uncommon to have a two year delay on projects. A project may come out and say they're planning to break ground on a certain date, then it ends up being 2 years later that they actually do it. Some even take longer than that. Very, very few take less than a year to start from the time they're announced.
I agree 100%, I even have confidence in the T. Stacy Towers that are proposed. It may take a number of months, even years, but I have great prospects on it coming into fruitation in addition to a majority of the other proposals.
__________________
A voice for the fallen.
     
     
  #3148  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 11:02 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
also, if no one has noticed, they are redoing the Lamar/First Street intersection that will allow for the construction of the water treatment plant, power plant and that other condo building.

I personally cant wait for that part of downtown to actually connect to the rest of it (and for Cesar Chavez construction to end allready.. I took it yesterday at rush hour and it took 30 minutes to get to South First from Mopac.
     
     
  #3149  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 1:18 AM
shanny's Avatar
shanny shanny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Austin / Omaha
Posts: 318
kevin, its time to change 360's status to "BUILT"
     
     
  #3150  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:04 AM
zx14 zx14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 306
I have my doubts whether the centrepoint will be built here in lex. They hoped to have it ready by the summer of 2010 equestrian games but they have not even vacated the buisneses that are to be demolished. And considering that the building seems to be simmilar to the altavida in height and underground parking even if it started today it wont be done in time. that stole the thunder of the project and expect it to be canciled. You guys are lucky to have so much going on and one project gets canciled it is not a huge deal cause there will be more on the way. this is the new Austin and it will soon rival larger cities and I will say that even may have its identity on a national level as its skyline is concerned.
     
     
  #3151  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 6:14 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
So uh, I went to City Hall today and took some pictures of the models of the Green proposals. Oh man, guys, if Stratus gets picked for the project, let's just say Austin will be confirmed as the 3rd skyline in the state. The tallest tower in the project is like nothing else in Texas. I REALLY hope it gets picked. I took plenty of pictures. My battery is dead tonight, so I'll recharge it in the morning, edit the pics and post them, hopefully by tomorrow night. You're gonna like what you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny View Post
kevin, its time to change 360's status to "BUILT"
I'll get on that. I went to the 360 party tonight. It was sweet. I missed out on getting to visit the 9th floor pool deck though. I did take pics in the lobby and of the base. I met the two women who designed the giant mobile that hangs in the entrance of the building. They were curious about me taking pictures of their art work since it's copyrighted. I invited them to visit SkyscraperPage, but she said she's already familiar with it! She gave me their card. I also met a guy who worked on building the mobile. He was really nice and obviously very proud of his work. I also invited him to visit SkycraperPage. And I also met the guy who designed the guitar sculpture next to the building. And it looks like they've gotten the rest of the lighting done on the south side of the building. Now they just need to light the needly part of the spire. I also met the people who did the lighting design for the building. They're also the same company that did the lighting for the Long Center. Anyway, the building looked great.

The concert was fun. Ruthie Foster sure can belt one out. And man, Alejandro Escovedo and his band totally kicked 🞵🞵🞵🞵. I especially liked the cello and violin. Great sound.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #3152  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:39 PM
DTAustin DTAustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The bricks are not faux. They are real bricks, but it is veneer brick, ie. they are not structural. Veneer brick is applied one brick (or wythe) thick (load bearing brick is usually at least 3 bricks thick). Load bearing brick is almost never used anymore because it is a poor insulater in itself, and is an inefficient use of material. Veneer brick is self-supporting but has to bear on a brick shelf (or floor slab on a highrise), and be tied to a backing wall with masonry ties to keep it from tipping over. The brick work on the building is actually going amazing quickly. They must have a large and skilled masonry crew working on it. The attention to the brick work doesn't really explain the apparent slow down in stuctural concrete work. Finish masonry and structural concrete are generally different trades. It probably has more to do with scheduling of material or equipment (or possibly crews). There is a lot of construction going on around town, and resources are not always easy to come by when they are most needed.
Unfortunately, the bricks don't do the building justice. It reminds me of my 1970's era high school - not very flattering. I really wish architects would stop using red bricks in this town.
     
     
  #3153  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:40 PM
DTAustin DTAustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
It's not about developers attempting to fool people. It's about a brave front the developers put on no matter what is going on behind closed doors. It happens in marriages, faltering companies, poker, etc. You never let people know what's going on until you absolutely have to. Otherwise you scare people off sooner, when if you hadn't said anything, something might have come by to rescue you. And the world would be none the wiser.
You forgot one... The White House!
     
     
  #3154  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:54 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 3,442
Novare/Andrews Urban's Ovation - Rendering

Here's a new rendering of Ovation. The following is the 37-story, ~420'-450' tower's northwest elevation.

__________________
AUSTIN (City): 1,002,632 +4.64% - '20-'25 | AUSTIN MSA (5 counties): 2,620,945 +14.78% - '20-'25
SAN ANTONIO (City): 1,548,422 +8.03% - '20-'25 | SAN ANTONIO MSA (8 counties): 2,813,140 +9.97% - '20-'25
AUS-SAT REGION (MSAs/13 counties): 5,434,085 +12.24% - '20-'25 | *SRC: US Census*
     
     
  #3155  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:29 PM
CHAPINM1's Avatar
CHAPINM1 CHAPINM1 is offline
JoeCooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,414
NICE!!! What is the status on this one anyway? I'm guessing it's still a proposal, if so when is the projected construction start?
__________________
A voice for the fallen.
     
     
  #3156  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:44 PM
jgouger jgouger is offline
Jordan G.
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 82
I remember seeing something somewhere that the Ovation would commence construction within the next 60 days. Andrews Urban / Novarre are very good about meeting their deadlines, so expect this project to happen by the end of the summer.

I would guess that they will be re-building the sales office for 360 and turn it into the sales office for the Ovation.

Btw has anyone heard anything new about the post office moving to red river? This project was originally supposed to contain the new post office, but with them moving, perhaps more street level retail??
     
     
  #3157  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:18 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Its okay, I honestly think it has the overall design of 360, especially the base. I think they should change the color of the windows and the paint because it basically has the same exact color scheme as 360. I know they are made by the same company but can we get alittle bit more unique in designing these things?

Also Kevin mentioned that with one of the projects that are proposed at the Green Water Site, that Austin would definatly be the 3rd skyline in Texas. I kinda think Austin already has the 3rd most impressive skyline unless you were talking about one of the satillite skylines in the Houston or Dallas area like Houson's Medical district. But as far as Central Business Districts go, I say Austin has passed SA and Fort worth now in skyline. With 360 complete, Austin now has the tallest highrise in Texas outside of Houston or Dallas.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
     
     
  #3158  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:23 PM
Raining Inside Raining Inside is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ASATex Megaplex
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgouger View Post
I remember seeing something somewhere that the Ovation would commence construction within the next 60 days. Andrews Urban / Novarre are very good about meeting their deadlines, so expect this project to happen by the end of the summer.

I would guess that they will be re-building the sales office for 360 and turn it into the sales office for the Ovation.

Btw has anyone heard anything new about the post office moving to red river? This project was originally supposed to contain the new post office, but with them moving, perhaps more street level retail??
Several months after the Post Office towers were announced the Post Office decided it would rather move to a new location than be a part of the new project. I don't recall what the reason was though.
     
     
  #3159  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:59 PM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,960
Re: Ovation - bear in mind that a 35-story tower, being built by Novare in Tampa, is 460' without much of an ornamental top.
     
     
  #3160  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 6:18 PM
Saddle Man Saddle Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTAustin View Post
You forgot one... The White House!
DAMN! That was the best example ever! I can't believe I miss it.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.