HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3081  
Old Posted May 13, 2008, 2:16 AM
MW921 MW921 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Beautiful morning today. I walked around town for almost 3 hours while the wife was doing girly things with her daughters for Mother's Day. Very nice outside.

First off, the W. I think I remember the plans showing 3 floors of parking underground, almost the entire block, so they'll be digging for quite some time.








I think these beams will be used to shore up the walls as they dig down:




This will be a pretty good angle once the building starts rising. Note you can also see Altavida and Legacy and Austonian crane.



More later...
Yes, there will be three levels of parking underground. Look for the hole to be done around the first of August.
     
     
  #3082  
Old Posted May 13, 2008, 2:24 AM
zx14 zx14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 306
JUdging by the ten foot floor condo rule the Altavida will reach the height of its neighbor when the 30th floor is complete.
     
     
  #3083  
Old Posted May 13, 2008, 3:12 AM
Strayone's Avatar
Strayone Strayone is offline
Keep It Weird
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dazed/Confused
Posts: 1,181
Altavida has continuously amazed me regarding the amount of time it has taken to get...first above ground, due to the subfloors, and now to it's current height. I think it has been under construction since around the time 360 broke ground. Is there something about it's type of construction that made it a slower process than other buildings? If I'm not mistaken the renderings look like it is to be clad in brick. Any ideas as to why it has been such a slow project?
     
     
  #3084  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:26 AM
zx14 zx14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 306
I suppose the brick laying takes some of the man power as well as the pure amount of people working must be less than was on 360. Also would it have to be built more sturdy thus taking more time? The Austonian is rising slower than the Altavida did at the same point. At this rate the base 8 floors will be done around Aug 1st. The tower portion I hope will go at a floor a week thus topping out around The middle of july next year. Also these maybe tall buildings however they are not really what I consider major skyscrapers. Why is this, look at the consruction pics or wachovia tower on the Charlotte thread that is huge. Look how sturdy it is comming up seems to have tons of concrete. IT is not a smaller skeleton rising like 360 was but its like the whole thing just slowly rises from the ground. Bet at 830 feet Stacys project if built will look simmilar.
     
     
  #3085  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:19 AM
Saddle Man Saddle Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,149
Those are faux bricks on Altavida.
     
     
  #3086  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:45 AM
priller's Avatar
priller priller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,979
But the limestone on the base is real.
     
     
  #3087  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:52 AM
priller's Avatar
priller priller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,979
It looks like they've topped out the Legacy. I noticed this evening when I was coming home that the top looked different, without the usual tunnel forms they've been using. So I stopped and took a few photos.








Still amazed at how fast this one went up.
     
     
  #3088  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:30 AM
austin242 austin242 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 591
is it just me or does it look like its leaning slightly to the left.
     
     
  #3089  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 7:23 AM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,565
I think it is an unwritten rule of Austin building code, that all buildings lean slightly to the left.
     
     
  #3090  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:43 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
lol
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #3091  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:42 PM
zx14 zx14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 306
That was really funny. But seriously it is leaning a little and what is up with that. Could the ground be softer or something the planners did not see. OR was this to be expected and correctable. IF not will people live in a condo that leans. (pretend it is the Titanic) or will Austin see one hell of an implosion.
     
     
  #3092  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:16 PM
Raining Inside Raining Inside is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ASATex Megaplex
Posts: 526
This could be great. Another big, but unintentional Austin tourist attraction like the Congress Ave. bats:

The Leaning Tower of Austin
     
     
  #3093  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:25 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
I don't think it's leaning. But I did notice a few days ago in someone else's photo that the crane did look like it was leaning a bit, at least bowed out some. Tower cranes do sway in the wind of course to take off the pressure. They also sway as the boom swivels around. If you've ever watched a time lapse clip of a tower crane swiveling, you'll notice the entire shaft moves a bit.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #3094  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:29 PM
priller's Avatar
priller priller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,979
It's just the lens on my little compact has some distortion in it. When zoomed all the way out, like in the last photo, it has some "pincushion" distortion. That's what you're seeing.
     
     
  #3095  
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:28 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
priller, dont try and cover it up now..
     
     
  #3096  
Old Posted May 15, 2008, 1:31 AM
ivanwolf's Avatar
ivanwolf ivanwolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 469
Hmm, I kind a see it too, but I was thinking it was more of the slight angle of the pic since it is not straight on to the building and the little bit of the base area is larger.

As far as the cranes go look at 21 Rio, it looks like it bends out quite a bit up the shaft and then the boom itself is tilted up too. So I would think at Max load on the boom at the farthest point the crane would likely be close to vertical and the boom level. Just my idea.
     
     
  #3097  
Old Posted May 16, 2008, 3:58 AM
hismasterplan hismasterplan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin/Chicago
Posts: 120
First giant birds, now UFOs.

__________________
www.vimeo.com/willmartin
     
     
  #3098  
Old Posted May 16, 2008, 7:38 AM
Myomi Myomi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 244
Driving down Riverside today from 71 to I-35, I noticed that the skyline looked incredible from that angle. I drive down this road almost everyday but only today did I truly notice it. Legacy makes a massive impact from this angle and really adds to the overall skyline. And, looking at where cranes are, this angle is going to get even better. From this view you are basically looking up the river so the buildings look much closer together, adding to the effect. I would go far as to say that it is probably one of the best places to view the changing skyline, IMHO.
     
     
  #3099  
Old Posted May 16, 2008, 9:39 PM
Aiphanes Aiphanes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
Driving down Riverside today from 71 to I-35, I noticed that the skyline looked incredible from that angle. I drive down this road almost everyday but only today did I truly notice it. Legacy makes a massive impact from this angle and really adds to the overall skyline. And, looking at where cranes are, this angle is going to get even better. From this view you are basically looking up the river so the buildings look much closer together, adding to the effect. I would go far as to say that it is probably one of the best places to view the changing skyline, IMHO.
You need to take a picture from this angle!
     
     
  #3100  
Old Posted May 17, 2008, 8:52 AM
Myomi Myomi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 244
I wish I could, but I am just a poor college student with no camera
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.