HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2481  
Old Posted May 10, 2008, 5:58 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
If I had to buy a condo in SJ, I dont know whether or not I would like to wait in order to take a look at "Coast Guard" project. Would be a hard-decision process. However, in the circumstance $149,000 for a such location is good deal mainly for young workers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2482  
Old Posted May 10, 2008, 8:06 PM
Lamezia Lamezia is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
If I had to buy a condo in SJ, I dont know whether or not I would like to wait in order to take a look at "Coast Guard" project. Would be a hard-decision process. However, in the circumstance $149,000 for a such location is good deal mainly for young workers.
I think it's a no brainer.
If you wait,you will have to pay a much higher price because you're buying after the new refinary is announced and workers start coming from out of town.You'll also pay higher prices because it will cost more to build every year that goes by.And if Robertson's Wharf is any indications of what prices will be at the Coast Guard you will have to pay more than $300,000.00[see prices at www.robertsonswharf.com]
i would be more concerned that they only have one at $149.000.00 to pretend they are selling low priced condos.You can't buy an old garden home for that price let alone a new condo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2483  
Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:06 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
The units in the building that are listed for $149,000 are probably underneath the parking garage or something
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2484  
Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:17 PM
random11's Avatar
random11 random11 is offline
Believer in the future
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saint John
Posts: 199
Festival

After a summer music festival was cancelled, an organizing committee in Saint John has announced it will go forward with a new event.

The Saint John Saltyjam festival announced in April that it wouldn't be running this summer because of trouble finding sponsors.

But the city will now be hosting the Rising Tides Festival, a 12-day concert series, beginning July 1. It will incorporate the events previously scheduled to take place during Saltyjam, which focused on jazz and blues music, said Guy Barbara, spokesman for the Rising Tides organizing committee.

The goal of the new festival is to promote Saint John as a destination, Barbara said.

"We are a fantastic city," Barbara said. "We are a historic city. We're trying to get people to see that we're the up-and-comers."

Rocker Randy Bachman will be among the performers at the festival, but Barbara said the other acts have not not yet been announced.

"We are trying to build an air of suspense," Barbara said. "But I can tell you that [the] East Point [shopping centre] is being very secretive, for good reason, because they have one heck of an event planned."

Along with shopping centres, shows will take place in local arenas, bars and the marina.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2485  
Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:18 PM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
I live uptown and would like to look into one of these, but won't be in a buying position for a year and a half. I wonder what the timeline is for the second phase...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2486  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:09 AM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
Taken from Facebook:

.:Three Sisters Condos:.





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2487  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:31 AM
PersonPlaceorThing's Avatar
PersonPlaceorThing PersonPlaceorThing is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saint John
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
The units in the building that are listed for $149,000 are probably underneath the parking garage or something
As I understnad it they are below the street grade of Prince William on the Prince William side. So just above the parking garage. I wonder how much light they will get.
__________________
Urban Plans for Saint John and Beyond: http://urbanplans.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2488  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:57 AM
Lamezia Lamezia is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I live uptown and would like to look into one of these, but won't be in a buying position for a year and a half. I wonder what the timeline is for the second phase...
I don't know but if i were you i would not assume I could not buy-i would register and get the information.
You never know, if they are looking for buyers they may help you make it happen.
The most that can happen is that you are right and you have to wait to phase 2.But the problem is that if phase 1 is successful, the prices will likely go up and you won't be able to buy in phase 2.I
f I was interested, I would go in and check it out-nothing to loose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2489  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:14 AM
Smevo's Avatar
Smevo Smevo is offline
Sarcstic Caper in Exile
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,121
If I was moving to SJ, I would definitely look into Three Sisters and the Coast Guard Development (if it was built, u/c by then). However, if that ever did happen, my fiancee would want to be in Grand Bay. Once a suburban girl, always a suburban girl...unfortunately. I'm just glad I never showed her Rothesay or Quispamsis in our ample time there last summer, she'd love those areas even more.

I hope Three Sisters turns out true to the rendering. Looks like a very nice development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2490  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:21 AM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
If I was moving to SJ, I would definitely look into Three Sisters and the Coast Guard Development (if it was built, u/c by then). However, if that ever did happen, my fiancee would want to be in Grand Bay. Once a suburban girl, always a suburban girl...unfortunately. I'm just glad I never showed her Rothesay or Quispamsis in our ample time there last summer, she'd love those areas even more.

I hope Three Sisters turns out true to the rendering. Looks like a very nice development.
No offense to anyone from the valley, but I refuse to live there for many reasons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2491  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 8:30 AM
Lamezia Lamezia is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPlaceorThing View Post
As I understnad it they are below the street grade of Prince William on the Prince William side. So just above the parking garage. I wonder how much light they will get.
My friend that went to one of the focus groups said that the smallest units are on the 2nd and 3rd floor above the Prince Willian St.They are small but she said that they have a lot of windows and huge balconies that allow you to see the bay.She said they are great for a single person.
The courtyard units below the Prince william Street grade apparantly are much larger condos with wide courtyards that should get enough light.
I can only assume given what we have seen so far that Rocca and his design team must be aware of this concern and have addressed.if not, he'll have a big problem selling them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2492  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 2:51 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
No offense to anyone from the valley, but I refuse to live there for many reasons.
I grew up in Fairvale (now part of Rothesay), in an old farm home that has been there 120 years, and I'm not offended by your comments at all. The Valley has gone downhill IMO, it used to be beautiful, friendly and quiet, but now it's mile after mile of disgusting suburban sprawl. I'm not sure if that is your reason for not wanting to live there, but I do feel pretty strongly about how poorly managed KV's growth has been in the past 20-30 years.

All that being said, I still think the Kennebecasis River is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2493  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:07 PM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
If I had to buy a condo in SJ, I dont know whether or not I would like to wait in order to take a look at "Coast Guard" project. Would be a hard-decision process. However, in the circumstance $149,000 for a such location is good deal mainly for young workers.

149K is a decent price in terms of the location, new building, high quality development etc, etc...


that being said, looking at the website (http://harbourfrontnb.com/) though, square footages ?appear to start at <600 square feet and go up from there...a little small for that kind of price, IMO
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2494  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:14 PM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Taken from Facebook:

.:Three Sisters Condos:.





nice & modern open concept renderings.....my guess these units will sell rather fast & put subsequent phases on the fast-track
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2495  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:16 PM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post










just thought i'd repost this, to keep the potential coast guard site development fresh in people's minds...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2496  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 4:21 PM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by random11 View Post
After a summer music festival was cancelled, an organizing committee in Saint John has announced it will go forward with a new event.

The Saint John Saltyjam festival announced in April that it wouldn't be running this summer because of trouble finding sponsors.

But the city will now be hosting the Rising Tides Festival, a 12-day concert series, beginning July 1. It will incorporate the events previously scheduled to take place during Saltyjam, which focused on jazz and blues music, said Guy Barbara, spokesman for the Rising Tides organizing committee.
.
great to see...a 12 day long event is pretty ambitious in its first year running, but it sounds like there's a really wide variety of venues which should help (?? i seem to remember saltyjam running well under a week in length??)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2497  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 7:54 PM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I grew up in Fairvale (now part of Rothesay), in an old farm home that has been there 120 years, and I'm not offended by your comments at all. The Valley has gone downhill IMO, it used to be beautiful, friendly and quiet, but now it's mile after mile of disgusting suburban sprawl. I'm not sure if that is your reason for not wanting to live there, but I do feel pretty strongly about how poorly managed KV's growth has been in the past 20-30 years.

All that being said, I still think the Kennebecasis River is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
I agree the area tends to be nice in river view areas and such, and the sprawl makes it less desirable too. I usually go against trendy things, and since many ppl looking for a new home speak of the valley, I'm staying clear. I'm not a suburban family home kind of guy either; I'm more of a city person.

If I build a home instead of getting a condo, I wouldn't want a typical catalog order, vinyl sided house in a subdivision. In the future It'd be nice to have an uptown condo and a cottage somewhere around Lepreau with a few acres of land.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2498  
Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
Lamezia Lamezia is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
It doesn't surprise me that the 4149k condo would be around 600 square feet.
but don't forget that in addition to the space you buy you also have a gym+guest suites+lounges+ a theatre +plazas,etc. Condo owners buy small spaces but they live tens of thousands of square feet that a whole bunch of people pay for together.
compare this to home owners.If you went to built a quality home today, a builder will ask you for $120-$140 per square foot.So for $149K you would not even get a 1000 square foot house because you would need to pay $30K-$45K for the land.And no gym,theatre,airconditioning, sprinklers, underground parking,waterview,plaza etc for you.
Dollars and cents always favor condos. That's why the biggest buyers of condos today in the larger cities are young people.
The big decision for potential condo buyers is not the space they own, it's whether the condo lifestye is really for them.
Condos are more like communities.You give up some of the privacy that a single family home gives you.You don't take an elevator to your home with two or three other people going to different floors.
You must love being part of the energy that downtowns offer to enjoy living in a condo,otherwise it's a bad idea at any price.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2499  
Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:01 AM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
King Street

Drove down King Street this evening...the Tapp's restaurant looked permanently closed (??? this must be pretty recent...though i saw it open for business in the past few weeks?) . . .not suprising, as it appeared to be in a slow downward spiral for the past few years.... does anyone know if there are any plans for this property? it would be a shame...that upper block of king street has a fair number of empty storefronts....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2500  
Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:05 AM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamezia View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the 4149k condo would be around 600 square feet.
but don't forget that in addition to the space you buy you also have a gym+guest suites+lounges+ a theatre +plazas,etc. Condo owners buy small spaces but they live tens of thousands of square feet that a whole bunch of people pay for together.
compare this to home owners.If you went to built a quality home today, a builder will ask you for $120-$140 per square foot.So for $149K you would not even get a 1000 square foot house because you would need to pay $30K-$45K for the land.And no gym,theatre,airconditioning, sprinklers, underground parking,waterview,plaza etc for you.
Dollars and cents always favor condos. That's why the biggest buyers of condos today in the larger cities are young people.
The big decision for potential condo buyers is not the space they own, it's whether the condo lifestye is really for them.
Condos are more like communities.You give up some of the privacy that a single family home gives you.You don't take an elevator to your home with two or three other people going to different floors.
You must love being part of the energy that downtowns offer to enjoy living in a condo,otherwise it's a bad idea at any price.

Good points...I guess at first glance it just strikes me as a very small living space for the price...true, it depends very much what kind of lifestyle / options you would want, i suppose....
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.