I think you are correct, they won't be noticed except for when one is standing beneath the tower and looking up at it obliquely, then the railing will have a significant impact visually....
WOW!!!!!! This is actually starting to LOOK LIKE THE RENDERING!!! I didn't think it would happen, but it is! I am so excited again (not that I was ever turned off in the first place)
Great shot solarwind, keep them coming from this angle, its awesome.
Been showing the recent pictures of Aqua around (including the ones showing the balcony railings) to friends that have nothing more than a general interest in skyscrapers. The comment that I am getting is that they should have done the railing in some sort of solid glass that follows the flow. First, is this possible/feasible,and second, what do you guys think of this idea?
Glass balconies would make the building too complex. Plus, all of you would be complaining that they weren't continous curves (because they'd use glass panels instead fo curved glass).
^^ yeah, custom curved glass railings would probably cost tens of millions of dollars on a project this size, in other words, COMPLETELY out of the question on a cost basis. curved glass by itself is mucho dinero, custom curved glass for 82 distinct floor plates is a straight-up non-starter.
besides, the black steel railings look just fine to me.
If you notice in this image there is an extra row of what will be glazing above the existing curtain wall for the ballroom because Strategic Hotels (the Fairmont owners) wanted some additional lighting coming into the hotel ballroom so they pushed the plaster-based exterior up higher in order to create this new transom window wall on the east side of the ballroom.
I haven't read this entire thread, but I think it is worth mentioning.
The park below, that Aqua boarders, looks just amazing.
The curved pathways, ooooh, what a joy to have that be outside your window
^ I remember walking on East Wacker 5 and 1/2 years ago and showing my (then) girlfriend this giant slab of land, which at the time was a huge mound of dirt. The transformation of this site is beyond impressive
Why does those railings seem to turn inwards away from the edge of the balcony? Are they only installing railings to places where the balcony doors are and thus forming small balconies inside the waves and not installing railings everywhere along the edges?
Why does those railings seem to turn inwards away from the edge of the balcony? Are they only installing railings to places where the balcony doors are and thus forming small balconies inside the waves and not installing railings everywhere along the edges?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems silly to build a huge balcony and then screen a large chunk of it off. Why not use the whole balcony?
And it just seems like a bad idea. If there's space there outside the railings, someone's going to store a chair or something there. And then there's no railing to keep it from being blown over the edge.