HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2781  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 4:19 AM
charmedone charmedone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mount Kisco New York
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They've really let that Jerry Springer ad go to hell, didn't they?

Or is it intentional?
yea i nodiced that to how long has that been up for ???
     
     
  #2782  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 4:38 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,814
Man, it's still so buried. It almost seems kind-of a waste to have such a tall building you can hardly see. Imagine - a super-tall which serves as nothing more than a bit of skyline filler.



Is there such a thing as a point beyond which there's little point in building a super-tall? If you build a super-tall but you can hardly see it, is it worth the bother?
__________________
You fill me with inertia.
     
     
  #2783  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:01 AM
philvia's Avatar
philvia philvia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Is there such a thing as a point beyond which there's little point in building a super-tall? If you build a super-tall but you can hardly see it, is it worth the bother?
that is almost a silly question
     
     
  #2784  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:49 PM
Scruffy's Avatar
Scruffy Scruffy is offline
low-riding
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bronx
Posts: 1,773
Ofcourse it's worth building. For one thing, its functional. Its not built just to be looked at. And if just looking at it were their focus, its across the street from the 2nd most popular park in the city where it can be admired for hours
__________________
My name is Steve
     
     
  #2785  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:54 PM
tdawg's Avatar
tdawg tdawg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,986
I disagree that it is buried. I've scanned Midtown from the GWB and the BQE in Queens and it's very prominent on the skyline, as prominent as a building under 2000' can be in Midtown Manhattan.
     
     
  #2786  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:38 AM
CHAPINM1's Avatar
CHAPINM1 CHAPINM1 is offline
JoeCooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,414
I can see it easy coming in on the Green Line coming in from Queens. Also, when seeing it up close just yesterday, there were more windows knocked out from that construction accident than I originally thought... BTW on a side note, we've been seeing some really 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 weather the last two days or so...
__________________
A voice for the fallen.
     
     
  #2787  
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:02 PM
Beetjeveen Beetjeveen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Yesterday their was an episode of Megastructures I believe dedicated to this skyscraper. It was called Ultimate skyscraper NYC. Does anybody if it is able to watch this episode only, or does anybody have a link to a torrent?
     
     
  #2788  
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:47 PM
banned's Avatar
banned banned is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 357
There may be some places that one could find it, but I'd rather not discuss it on a public board. I will not be answering PM's either, but it should be available.
     
     
  #2789  
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 9:08 PM
aluminum's Avatar
aluminum aluminum is offline
I love boxes.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Man, it's still so buried. It almost seems kind-of a waste to have such a tall building you can hardly see. Imagine - a super-tall which serves as nothing more than a bit of skyline filler.
First: Its absolutely not buried. Its rises more than 200' over the vast 700' high plateau of midtown Manhattan. The only city where it could seem buried is *cough* *cough* Dubai *cough* *cough*

Second: This building is -not even close- to being called a waste, its a 2msf office tower catalyzing the economic growth of NYC.

Third: Please don't call it a super-tall (you may call it a super-giant office tower though)
     
     
  #2790  
Old Posted May 2, 2008, 4:31 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
Second: This building is -not even close- to being called a waste, its a 2msf office tower catalyzing the economic growth of NYC.

Third: Please don't call it a super-tall (you may call it a super-giant office tower though)
Well, it's at a supertall height, that make you feel better? Anyway, I'm already used to seeing this bold spire on the skyline, especially from Midtown South. It adds a nice, vertical thrust to the mass of skyscrapers that Midtown has become. All the more reason I can't wait until the Tower Verre rises. With all of the new towers planned, there's the potential for spires to lose dominance on the Midtown skyline, can't forget about that.

Also, I agree that this tower is hardly a waste. Some of the most expensive office space in Manhattan didn't keep this one from being gobbled up quickly. With the shortage of new office space in Manhattan, even the speculative towers (like 11 TS and Boston Properties 8th Ave tower) are finding tenants before really getting off the ground. It's precious space indeed.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #2791  
Old Posted May 2, 2008, 7:54 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 23,814
Well OK, next time I go to NY I'll have to check out its relative "buried-ness" myself. It just looks kinda buried in these pics I guess.

BTW when I asked (somewhat rhetorically) whether it was worth it building a tall building you could barely see, I didn't mean the commercial aspect of it. Of course if there's someone willing to take up that much space, it is "worth it." I was referring to its "tall-ness," not its "volume-ness" when I asked if there was much point.

But if you guys say this isn't as buried as it appears to me in these pictures, I'll take your word for it, at least until I see it myself.
__________________
You fill me with inertia.
     
     
  #2792  
Old Posted May 2, 2008, 1:30 PM
skellergroup's Avatar
skellergroup skellergroup is offline
Stay Classy Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillytown
Posts: 499
Is there any interesting retail going in this building?

I miss NYC so much. Especially Bryant Park.

This is turning out great...but certainly taking some time to finish.
     
     
  #2793  
Old Posted May 2, 2008, 5:08 PM
CoolCzech's Avatar
CoolCzech CoolCzech is offline
Frigidus Maximus
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,618
^Yeah, just like with the NY Times building: the main shaft shoots right up, but things suddenly seem to come a crawl when it comes to finishing off the crown.
__________________
http://tinyurl.com/2acxb5t


I ❤️ NY
     
     
  #2794  
Old Posted May 2, 2008, 11:25 PM
bkraig4life bkraig4life is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 41
I went to Newark about a month ago and even from the airport area, I was amazed at the sheer height of these buildings. Midtown looked like a wall, and because Ive been following this site, I definately could see the BOA rising above the other buildings. Much taller in real life than photos, maybe 5 miles away?
     
     
  #2795  
Old Posted May 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
jmecklenborg jmecklenborg is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,284
>jmeckleborg, you can't use NY and compare them with those other cities. For one, there's subway lines galore running underneath most of Manhattan. Until those other cities have more mass transit options, you can't use NY's model to make your case for no parking garages.


This past week I spoke in front of a young republicans group arguing for rail transit in my city and was heckled and misquoted by the newspaper. The leader of the group called New York City "Fascist" and said he never wants to visit or live there (have to wonder if he knows Fascism was a right-of-center movement) and that if it's in New York it must be bad, including subways. They're against anything "subsidized", oblivious to the fact that roads and suburbs are subsidized head to toe. They never have the facts straight and get an "expert" to turn the numbers around.
     
     
  #2796  
Old Posted May 3, 2008, 1:20 AM
antinimby antinimby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In syndication
Posts: 2,089
LOL. Didn't I tell you not to use NY as an example?

By the way, Republicans in other parts of the country see NY as a very liberal city and so they're going to have negative feelings toward it.

While it is true that NY is generally a liberal city politically, it is not as liberal as most people think, at least nothing like the Bostons and San Franciscos of the world.
     
     
  #2797  
Old Posted May 3, 2008, 1:31 PM
jmecklenborg jmecklenborg is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,284
^Anecdotally I've always thought that New York was a lot friendlier than Boston. Anyway, let's not get off-topic...


>Didn't I tell you not to use NY as an example?

I think visiting New York and not being impressed and coming to respect it is like being indifferent to the Grand Canyon. Also, people tend to have zero knowledge of railroad and mass transit history, few know that the original New York subway lines were built by companies, not the government. Yet these republicans are fighting the placing of tolls on a replacement highway bridge here. Did somebody say subsidy?

BTW I haven't been in New York since summer 2006, I seem to remember that this tower was already under construction then.
     
     
  #2798  
Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:02 PM
Dac150's Avatar
Dac150 Dac150 is offline
World Machine
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NY/CT
Posts: 6,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Anyway, let's not get off-topic...
Then resume conversation about the BofA Tower and not the history of the NYC subway system, or young republicans.
__________________
"I'm going there, but I like it here wherever it is.."
     
     
  #2799  
Old Posted May 6, 2008, 9:46 PM
Fabb's Avatar
Fabb Fabb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 9,019
My contribution :

(most of the followings are a couple of days old)























     
     
  #2800  
Old Posted May 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
aluminum's Avatar
aluminum aluminum is offline
I love boxes.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 637
^ Nice pictures, especially the second one. Thanks Fabb.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.