HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3181  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,731
Canada Line tunneling train engine.


My photo, taken April 24th, 2008.
     
     
  #3182  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,731
Yaletown Station | April 23rd 2008


My photo, taken April 23rd, 2008.
     
     
  #3183  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Major update by Tafryn, April 24:
http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.com/





TWO TRAINS BEING TESTED AT YVR......from every vantage point imaginable.




























































Those trains are alright looking right now, but they're going to look absolutely terrible when they start plastering ads on them.

Last edited by mr.x; Apr 25, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
     
     
  #3184  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Major update by Tafryn, April 24:
http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.com/




TEMPLETON STATION


















NORTH ARM BRIDGE - pedestrian route






     
     
  #3185  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:27 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Major update by Tafryn, April 24:
http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.com/




BRIDGEPORT STATION








     
     
  #3186  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 5:10 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is online now
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yes the architects who designed it designed it with the mind of it being incorpoarted into a building - i don't remember if i read it on here or somewhere else but they went into great detail about details that they did so that structure and things can be tied into the station making construction and such easier

i think thats also why the north side of the university/production way station was left open as they knew that in the future a building would be there to act as a barrier
In fact, a building was planned as well. The land was owned by an Insurance Company (London Life? Standard?) if I recall correctly. The station is modular... in that all the pieces can be re-arranged at a later date (minus the guideway of course)
     
     
  #3187  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:17 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Cadillac Fairview circulated a bulletin today that said construction on the plaza for the entrance pavillion for the Vancouver City Centre Station would start on Monday, April 28th.
     
     
  #3188  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:41 PM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Those trains are alright looking right now, but they're going to look absolutely terrible when they start plastering ads on them.
S'what I thought too! Aww... too bad our platforms weren't 80m, I would love to see those two train connected to each other =(
     
     
  #3189  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 9:19 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Yup, that's a sight you won't see in operation...

Notice how the colours blend with the Fairmont glass?
     
     
  #3190  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 4:26 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Train testing on a sunny day, April 25...by Tafryn:
http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.com



















     
     
  #3191  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:12 AM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Aww... too bad our platforms weren't 80m, I would love to see those two train connected to each other =(
Wait. I know the platforms aren't overly long, but are you saying that they aren't even long enough for a train of this length???



and instead this is all that will fit at each platform???

     
     
  #3192  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:37 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
^^we can only fit one of those trains, the one in the last pic, not two trains.
     
     
  #3193  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:59 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Wait. I know the platforms aren't overly long, but are you saying that they aren't even long enough for a train of this length???



and instead this is all that will fit at each platform???

That's correct.

Most of the platforms are 40-metres long. A few are 50-metres long, while the majority at 40 metres are able to be expanded to 50-metres in the future, which obviously isn't significant.

The platforms can fit the two-car articulated trains, shown in the picture you posted. That two-car articulated train is 41-metres in length, 1 metre longer than the 40-metre platforms.
     
     
  #3194  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 3:24 PM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
That's correct.

Most of the platforms are 40-metres long. A few are 50-metres long, while the majority at 40 metres are able to be expanded to 50-metres in the future, which obviously isn't significant.

The platforms can fit the two-car articulated trains, shown in the picture you posted. That two-car articulated train is 41-metres in length, 1 metre longer than the 40-metre platforms.
With that the case, it seems more like it's just one car rather than two. And with one car it's questionable to even call this a train (since a train is multiple cars hooked together). I understand the articulated part is the connector between "two cars," but the appearance in the 2nd photo is that it's just one car (and hence not a train) while the appearance in the 1st photo is that of two cars that just need to be joined together to form a "true train." I don't mean to rain on Vancouver's parade, I guess I'm just shocked how small the system is going to be. In fact, when I first saw the photo of the two cars, I initially thought even that seemed kind of small, but probably would work ok. But now to know only one of those cars will fit at a platform, I'm kinda .

(sorry if I'm rehashing any old quarls that others have had on this forum about the Canada line...I just don't visit this thread all that frequently, so I'm only now realzing how long 40 meters actually is)
     
     
  #3195  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 10:44 PM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
^Think about half a regular SkyTrain platform. At least each train will hold 400 people (or so Falcon says), which is about the capacity of a Mark I train.
     
     
  #3196  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:29 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
With that the case, it seems more like it's just one car rather than two. And with one car it's questionable to even call this a train (since a train is multiple cars hooked together). I understand the articulated part is the connector between "two cars," but the appearance in the 2nd photo is that it's just one car (and hence not a train) while the appearance in the 1st photo is that of two cars that just need to be joined together to form a "true train." I don't mean to rain on Vancouver's parade, I guess I'm just shocked how small the system is going to be. In fact, when I first saw the photo of the two cars, I initially thought even that seemed kind of small, but probably would work ok. But now to know only one of those cars will fit at a platform, I'm kinda .

(sorry if I'm rehashing any old quarls that others have had on this forum about the Canada line...I just don't visit this thread all that frequently, so I'm only now realzing how long 40 meters actually is)
one thing for sure, the underground stations are going to be claustrophobic....especially when they're packed.

It is technically a two-car train, whether or not it is articulated does not matter. Besides, modern trains these days connect their cars together with articulations rather than links.


I would be quite happy if the stations were 4-cars long (80-metres). To be honest, I think the appearance of the short stations and trains might actually even deter ridership.
     
     
  #3197  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:56 PM
agrant's Avatar
agrant agrant is offline
Cheers!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,869
"With that the case, it seems more like it's just one car rather than two. And with one car it's questionable to even call this a train (since a train is multiple cars hooked together). I understand the articulated part is the connector between "two cars," but the appearance in the 2nd photo is that it's just one car (and hence not a train) while the appearance in the 1st photo is that of two cars that just need to be joined together to form a "true train." I don't mean to rain on Vancouver's parade, I guess I'm just shocked how small the system is going to be. In fact, when I first saw the photo of the two cars, I initially thought even that seemed kind of small, but probably would work ok. But now to know only one of those cars will fit at a platform, I'm kinda .

(sorry if I'm rehashing any old quarls that others have had on this forum about the Canada line...I just don't visit this thread all that frequently, so I'm only now realzing how long 40 meters actually is)"



Welcome to the party that is platform length discussion!
     
     
  #3198  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 2:04 AM
crazyjoeda's Avatar
crazyjoeda crazyjoeda is offline
Mac User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 861
Quote:
I would be quite happy if the stations were 4-cars long (80-metres). To be honest, I think the appearance of the short stations and trains might actually even deter ridership.
The platforms should have been 80 meters. Even if they would only wanted to run the two car trains having an 80 meter platform would have made it easy to expand in the future.

I think saying that the sort appearance of the stations and trains will deter ridership is dumb. When the line opens it will run below capacity so the trains wont be to crowed, but eventually the stations will need to be expanded.
     
     
  #3199  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 3:55 AM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is online now
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
^ Or a parallel line will need to be constructed.
     
     
  #3200  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:10 AM
crazyjoeda's Avatar
crazyjoeda crazyjoeda is offline
Mac User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 861
Why would they build a parallel line? As expensive as it will be to extend the stations the cost would be ridiculously higher to construct a new parallel line.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.