HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #781  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:42 PM
hmagazine hmagazine is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 225
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #782  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:47 PM
oldcoote's Avatar
oldcoote oldcoote is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 627
Mike Long strikes again.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #783  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 7:01 PM
Jon Dalton's Avatar
Jon Dalton Jon Dalton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,778
I wasn't kidding, but I heard this from someone who was talking to some of the demolition workers. Hopefully they were just misinformed. I would be surprised if anyone would buy that Reardons building to demolish it. Last night there were lights on in about half of the windows of the upper floors. The building is still listed: http://www.icx.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?v...s%3d%26mxls%3d&Mode=0&PropertyID=6731885
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #784  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 7:19 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I wasn't kidding, but I heard this from someone who was talking to some of the demolition workers. Hopefully they were just misinformed. I would be surprised if anyone would buy that Reardons building to demolish it. Last night there were lights on in about half of the windows of the upper floors. The building is still listed: http://www.icx.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?v...s%3d%26mxls%3d&Mode=0&PropertyID=6731885
OK. I thought I was dreaming. I heard this on CHCH earlier in the week on the 11 o’clock news. It may have been Sunday night as I was at work on Monday and Tuesday at 11. They where interviewing the demolition contractor and he said that he was asked to look at that building as the next building to come down. I was tired and somewhat dozy and since no one else said anything I thought I was having a nightmare!

Everyone call and/or email the mayor and councillors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #785  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:38 PM
Jon Dalton's Avatar
Jon Dalton Jon Dalton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,778
So apparently the owner and/or potential buyer have expressed interest in demolition, enough so to have a contractor inspect the site. Whether or not this is true, now would be a good time to contact city council and advise them of this potential threat to the street.

Nothing should be demolished unless there is a building permit for something compatible with the city's King William Streetscape master plan: http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/City...astProjects/King-William-Master-Plan.htm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #786  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
This is getting ridiculous. That beautiful stretch of street is about to get raped and pillaged.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #787  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:59 PM
11thIndian 11thIndian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jacobs View Post
This is precisely why the (Eaton's) City Centre failed so miserably: it shunned street commerce and pedestrians by facing its stores inward away from the street. If stores had flanked James ST then this (ugly) project might have had a chance. It still might if the ground floor was reconfigured to embrace the streetscape.

It is maddening to see major projects happen like this happen without more consideration for the implications of the design on actual lived urban experience.
Eaton's Centre was just like this until they reno'd the Young St. side so ground level stores had both mall and street facing entrances. I don't see why this couldn't happen with our Eaton's Centre once the city moves out...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #788  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:04 AM
NuclearNerd NuclearNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 63
Quote:
Lister should not be office space. This is the problem. LIUNA sees free government money in an office conversion and they are blind to anything else. More sane developers (stinson for example, and being called less sane than stinson really says something about LIUNA) can understand that condos could make a tidy profit there without public expenditure. How can you justify public spending on an unnecessary office conversion when we are drowning in office space but there are no places for office workers to live?

This is your money that LIUNA wants to spend!
OK, I have little interest in arguing, but I'd like someone to clear up the facts. I recall that LIUNA's original plans were to rebuild a "replica" Lister for condos. The reason they've switched to office space is that, having been forced to keep the building, the existing space doesn't really support condos. I may be remembering that in reverse though.

In any case, there isn't a lot of market for condos either. The unfinished condo building on Rebecca has been in construction for five years and still has vacancies. The Royale on James is apparently still embarrassingly empty.

If the city mandates that LIUNA does X with their building, I don't find it unreasonable that they should ask the city for a contract in return to justify the change. The mistake is that the city negotiated itself into a corner where either the Lister Block stays closed and collapsing, or we give LIUNA a plum contract worth three times the going office-space rent to renovate. We would have done better to let them rebuild, but use our major-tenant's clout to get involved in the new building's design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #789  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 11:11 AM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
OK, I have little interest in arguing, but I'd like someone to clear up the facts. I recall that LIUNA's original plans were to rebuild a "replica" Lister for condos. The reason they've switched to office space is that, having been forced to keep the building, the existing space doesn't really support condos. I may be remembering that in reverse though.

In any case, there isn't a lot of market for condos either. The unfinished condo building on Rebecca has been in construction for five years and still has vacancies. The Royale on James is apparently still embarrassingly empty.

If the city mandates that LIUNA does X with their building, I don't find it unreasonable that they should ask the city for a contract in return to justify the change. The mistake is that the city negotiated itself into a corner where either the Lister Block stays closed and collapsing, or we give LIUNA a plum contract worth three times the going office-space rent to renovate. We would have done better to let them rebuild, but use our major-tenant's clout to get involved in the new building's design.

LIUNA never planned condos. They were going to build a 'replica' for office space.
The lofts on Rebecca were finished years ago and as far as I know, the building is full.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #790  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 1:04 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is offline
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 4,059
^ that's correct. the Loft/condos are all sold on Rebecca. THe only thing empty is the street level. They're searching for a restaurant, which is unfortunate because it gives the impression that the building is still empty.

----
This is ridiculous. Now King William north side will match the south side. Well Done City of Hamilton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #791  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 1:07 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is offline
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 4,059
A Lister conversion to condos would be easier to sell then office space. Unless of course you've got a big fish (sucker) on the end of the line like a government tennant. It seems LIUNA/Hi Rise are only interested in dealing with the government. Bay Street, Federal Bldg proposal -- charging an obscene amount for rent and now suckering the City into a deal.

If they just tried the condo path, it would work. Only too much work for them I guess. It's easier to take tax payers money since no one is accountable, they can rip all they want and get away with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #792  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 1:14 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is offline
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 4,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
OK, I have little interest in arguing, but I'd like someone to clear up the facts. I recall that LIUNA's original plans were to rebuild a "replica" Lister for condos. The reason they've switched to office space is that, having been forced to keep the building, the existing space doesn't really support condos. I may be remembering that in reverse though.

In any case, there isn't a lot of market for condos either. The unfinished condo building on Rebecca has been in construction for five years and still has vacancies. The Royale on James is apparently still embarrassingly empty.

If the city mandates that LIUNA does X with their building, I don't find it unreasonable that they should ask the city for a contract in return to justify the change. The mistake is that the city negotiated itself into a corner where either the Lister Block stays closed and collapsing, or we give LIUNA a plum contract worth three times the going office-space rent to renovate. We would have done better to let them rebuild, but use our major-tenant's clout to get involved in the new building's design.

If Lister-as-office-space is such a good idea. then why doesn't LIUNA convert it to office space and rent it out? Why does it need the city?

I'll tell you why? there is a huge office vacancy rate in the city already -- 25% by some accounts. The City should rent the Stelco Tower or Standard Life or STAY IN THE RIGHT HOUSE. Let Lister be LIUNA's problem.

Make condos, a hotel, a mall, residential (All ages) building, mixed office/doctors/dentists, professionals and build the damn thing. oh that's right it would require using their own money... that's why they want a government deal. They saw how easy it was to get rich from the kit box Federal bldg deal.

As a bonus if they can only just get the City to sign something... anything that implies an interest in being a tennant they can begin construction and when the City fails to live up to the agreement LIUNA/Hi RISE will get to sue the City again, just like they did with the Bay Street location in the 90s. An ever easier way to make money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #793  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:28 PM
Jon Dalton's Avatar
Jon Dalton Jon Dalton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,778
They should move LIUNA banquet hall there and sell the current one back to the city for - wait for it.... a train station! Then GO can pitch in some money, the city can pitch in the rest, and VIA can use it for free while complaining about the poor location. I wonder if it would be feasible to convert the lister block for this purpose? It's a crazy idea I know, but nothing else seems to work.

I agree that condos in the Lister Block would sell out. However, if they destroy the rest of the block, the desirability factor goes way down. To sell the space, the area needs to be at least progressing in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #794  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:35 PM
Millstone Millstone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Colborne, ON
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
In any case, there isn't a lot of market for condos either. The unfinished condo building on Rebecca has been in construction for five years and still has vacancies.
It's not unfinished, it just has no commercial tenants. I bought the last 'vacant' residential unit in January. There are 2 occupied units for sale right now.

I'm really excited about something opening downstairs like a café or a restaurant. Doesn't seem like anybody's biting so far... there's not much to look at from that patio unless the private parking lot next door turns into something more interesting, or the south side of Rebecca does.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #795  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:06 PM
hmagazine hmagazine is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 225
Lister: Redacted Paragraph Indicates Heritage Report Advice

http://raisethehammer.org/blog.asp?id=988
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #796  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:42 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is offline
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 4,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
They should move LIUNA banquet hall there and sell the current one back to the city for - wait for it.... a train station! Then GO can pitch in some money, the city can pitch in the rest, and VIA can use it for free while complaining about the poor location. I wonder if it would be feasible to convert the lister block for this purpose? It's a crazy idea I know, but nothing else seems to work.

I agree that condos in the Lister Block would sell out. However, if they destroy the rest of the block, the desirability factor goes way down. To sell the space, the area needs to be at least progressing in the right direction.
brilliant idea
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #797  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:50 PM
raisethehammer raisethehammer is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,054
can't say I'm a fan of Bratina's idea to use it to store artifacts....sheesh.
We're already doing that with the old Westinghouse building. Despite the fact, that artists wanted to convert it to lofts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #798  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:52 PM
itsbryan's Avatar
itsbryan itsbryan is offline
reilu meininki
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 40
edit: re-post, nevermind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #799  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:52 PM
I, Sinclair I, Sinclair is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
What are you trying to do here, drive people away from downtown even more?
I'm pretty sure people don't come to downtown hamilton because of all the cheap parking. If that was the case, this city would be a boom town.

People might just come downtown if their office was located there, lots of services were available, and (even more) interesting shops opened.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #800  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 5:05 PM
Goldfinger Goldfinger is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
If Lister-as-office-space is such a good idea. then why doesn't LIUNA convert it to office space and rent it out? Why does it need the city?
Because white elephants require deep pockets, and the restoration of that dog is nothing more than that.

Restoring the building is too expensive for either uses, condos would have to start at over 350K for a 600 sf unit with no warranty. That's not going to fly in working class Hamilton and your not going to get construction financing with that business plan.

If you do get a sucker to dish out 350-900K for their unit, you will need to inform them that there is no parking available. I can't even see a bank offering mortgages to buyers in a building with no parking at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.