HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1981  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:36 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
Moncton stadium spurs hopes of CFL franchise
Dave Crase, Canwest News Service
Published: Tuesday, April 22, 2008


MONCTON, N.B. -- A sod-turning ceremony in Moncton to mark the spot of a new track and field stadium carried with it hopes the city could one day land a Canadian Football League franchise.

Some $3-million in additional funding came Moncton's way Tuesday for a 28,000-seat stadium at Universite de Moncton. It's officially designed for the upcoming 2010 world junior track and field championships, but most people, including many officials, have professional football on their minds.

"The possibility will always be there in the future (for) professional franchise teams to be located in this region, we have a facility that can be competitive for bids," Premier Shawn Graham said of the $27-million facility.

The city is rife with speculation despite the fact construction is not expected to begin until early next year.

"If there is any interest on the CFL, Moncton is always open and ready for discussion - that's a chapter for another day," said Ian Fowler, of the City of Moncton.

There's been no official word yet from the city if and when it will pursue the CFL for a franchise, but sources say that work could begin as early as next month following the municipal elections.

The two men running for mayor of Moncton say that - if elected - there is no question they'll be going after the CFL.

"It could be a natural for Moncton, after all we are the hub of the Maritimes," said George Leblanc, a mayoralty candidate. "With this new stadium it gives us an edge and a natural venue for that."

"Sure - absolutely - I would be interested in looking at that (the CFL)," he added.

A stadium would be viable, agreed Pierre Michaud, who is also running for mayor.

"We can easily attract people from Halifax, Fredericton, Saint John (N.B.) and so on," he said. "This is very important, Moncton has the ability to attract things like that."

Four years ago Moncton and Halifax both tried to land a CFL franchise - but nothing developed.

In the battle for regional bragging rights, this time around Graham says New Brunswick will have the edge - especially over Halifax - adding a major stadium could mean not only a CFL team but also major summer concerts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1982  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:56 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
Maybe I'm just being picky, but isn't the 28,000 seat number only temporary seating? I thought the permanent capacity was just 10,000, which isn't really big enough for CFL standards (I believe the smallest CFL stadium right now is the Montreal one and it has 20,000-25,000 in permanent seating).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1983  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:07 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Maybe I'm just being picky, but isn't the 28,000 seat number only temporary seating? I thought the permanent capacity was just 10,000, which isn't really big enough for CFL standards (I believe the smallest CFL stadium right now is the Montreal one and it has 20,000-25,000 in permanent seating).
I believe the technical term for that kind of article is Puff Piece. I'm fairly sure the editor of the Transcript is a huge football fan. Every time someone mentions the letters CFL, they run about 15 stories about how Moncton should definitely get a franchise etc.

As for the size of the stadium, every thing you read quotes a different number. As far as i can tell though, there will be:

10,000 permanent seats
8,000 to 10,000 possibly temporary bleacher seats
and room for 8,000 seats on the field for concerts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1984  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:22 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Fantastic news to hear that you guys are getting a stadium and a possible CFL franchise. There is nothing I'd enjoy more than going on a road trip for a Riders game out in NB.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1985  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:39 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
Like Kwajo said the CFL wants 25 000-seats. I think the fixed bleachers are took into account but temporary bleachers don`t. I mean the same area taken up by 5k temporary bleachers could likely be filled by more permanent seats/fixed bleachers along with 10/15 corporate boxes if an owner ever stepped forward and decided to make a permanent expansion. That could get the numbers closed to the desired level in order to meet CFL requirements.

Anyway, I think this is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1986  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:00 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Fantastic news to hear that you guys are getting a stadium and a possible CFL franchise. There is nothing I'd enjoy more than going on a road trip for a Riders game out in NB.
That would be great. However, without the support of others Atlantic Canada areas, I doubt it would happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1987  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:58 PM
kirjtc2's Avatar
kirjtc2 kirjtc2 is offline
Nashwaaksissy
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,280
Especially since Nova Scotians (from my experience) tend to be more parochial than New Brunswickers...I honestly think NBers would be more likely to go to a game in Halifax than NSers to Moncton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1988  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 7:14 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
Especially since Nova Scotians (from my experience) tend to be more parochial than New Brunswickers...I honestly think NBers would be more likely to go to a game in Halifax than NSers to Moncton.
Hey! Don't ever underestimate how parochial New Brunswickers can be!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1989  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 7:29 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
Especially since Nova Scotians (from my experience) tend to be more parochial than New Brunswickers...I honestly think NBers would be more likely to go to a game in Halifax than NSers to Moncton.
Well they might say that at first, but really if a team did come to Moncton they would come...That being said the likely-hood of this ever happeneing is 1 in a million...but who knows, if we got backed by the right people...maybe if Assumption Life, Major Drilling, Blue Cross, Pizza Delight, Armour, ALC and Doolys and a few of the others listed here: Click got in on it...MAYBE we could pull it off...with a TON of local support and also a lot of support from all of NB and NS and PEI....than MAYBE we could pull it off...just maybe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1990  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 7:31 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Especially since Nova Scotians (from my experience) tend to be more parochial than New Brunswickers...I honestly think NBers would be more likely to go to a game in Halifax than NSers to Moncton.
This is definitely true, and even for within NB where SJers don't like Moncton much. I know I once said that if MEC ever opened a store in Moncton, I would still drive to the Halifax one instead.

Anyway, I think a team could work, but only if they follow the model of the New England Patriots or Saskatchewan RoughRiders and don't put the city in the team name, but define it as a regional team who just happen to play in a stadium in Moncton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1991  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:11 PM
Smevo's Avatar
Smevo Smevo is offline
Sarcstic Caper in Exile
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,121
I think a regional team would be the only way a franchise would survive in either Moncton or Halifax. As for the draw Moncton would have, you'd probably be more likely to get the Amherst to Truro population and North of Truro than you would be likely to get anything significant from Halifax. There'll always be a few — football fans who'd go because it's football and close, but for the most part I'd think Halifax would only really support a Halifax-based team.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1992  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:57 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
This is definitely true, and even for within NB where SJers don't like Moncton much. I know I once said that if MEC ever opened a store in Moncton, I would still drive to the Halifax one instead.

Anyway, I think a team could work, but only if they follow the model of the New England Patriots or Saskatchewan RoughRiders and don't put the city in the team name, but define it as a regional team who just happen to play in a stadium in Moncton.
Could this finally be the birth of the 'Atlantic Schooners'???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1993  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 9:04 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Could this finally be the birth of the 'Atlantic Schooners'???
Or the "Atlantic Lighthouses" or "The Lobstermen" or maybe even "Irvings Heros".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1994  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 9:35 PM
MonctonGoldenFlames's Avatar
MonctonGoldenFlames MonctonGoldenFlames is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
This is definitely true, and even for within NB where SJers don't like Moncton much. I know I once said that if MEC ever opened a store in Moncton, I would still drive to the Halifax one instead.
I'm calling you out on this one. You'd drive the extra 2.5 hrs just to avoid stopping in Moncton? You must really have some beefs with Moncton, which I'm guessing are mostly bologne to begin with. You may have gone thru this before, but why the dislike for Moncton? I mean, you are from Saint John, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1995  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 9:45 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
I'm calling you out on this one. You'd drive the extra 2.5 hrs just to avoid stopping in Moncton? You must really have some beefs with Moncton, which I'm guessing are mostly bologne to begin with. You may have gone thru this before, but why the dislike for Moncton? I mean, you are from Saint John, right?
I can see someone doing this 5 years ago, just out of spite, but with gas at 1.20+ someone would really have to hate the city to do that, I mean thats like an extra 80$ in fuel... unless they didnt care about the money (which I certainly do)...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1996  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
Well to be fair, when I said that I thought I'd make it an excuse to visit family in Halifax
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1997  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:49 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Well to be fair, when I said that I thought I'd make it an excuse to visit family in Halifax
haha, yeah I guess that works out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1998  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 10:50 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Story in the National Post about our new stadium

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=464300
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1999  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 11:09 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Story in the National Post about our new stadium

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=464300
Always great to see Moncton in the national news for something other than a suspected hostage situation or the death of a homeless guy.

I think they're really putting the cart in front of the horse on this one though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2000  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 11:12 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
BTW, post 2000!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.