Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
This man is serious about getting this project started. He deserves our support.
|
Completely agree. As both an event and agricultural venue, this facility is important for the city and the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
Don't get me wrong, I surely know the pros of this project, I just think the cons of this project will out-way the pros because I just have hunch that they won't do it right because I'm not convinced yet that the city and county will finance the right amount needed to do it right, the limited space there, and because of government security issues that are more mandatory nowadays.
I can see it now... the beautifully redesigned Court Square and/or Court and Montgomery Streets will eventually have to be blocked or partially blocked for "government security" issues...
...Lack of adequate parking will mean the erection of a parking deck with no wrap-around store fronts or office/living space on top (because you know it won't be designed right)...destroying another "pedestrian friendly" city block and defeating the very purpose of so-called smart-growth regulations implemented for downtown. You know the preservationists and SG proponents are going to be all over this once the 'naked' parking deck rendering is shown...I really hope I'm wrong about all of this...
Any other time, you know I'm all for the much needed infill and parking decks downtown, but I know that this would not work well without the rail-cars helping to alleviate the obvious parking congestion problem that will surely be one of the main problems in getting this plan to work as intended.
Yes, yes...I know I say this without looking at the complete plan, but all I'm saying is that if it's going to be done, do it all and do it right the first time. Otherwise you are going to have a similar situation with the new Statehouse...but this time the problem will be outside space.
|
I agree that the cons are likely to outweigh the pros of this alternative, for the same reasons. This thing is likely to be done on the cheap. I hope it doesn't involve tearing down any buildings around Court Square other than One Court Square - that would be the last thing that downtown needs.
I'm opposed to the idea of extending the Capitol to the east and closing part of Union St. as well. I'd much rather see a new building on the surface parking lot to the east of the current State House, preferably built as liner buildings wrapping a parking deck for the Capitol complex. A five or six story structure there could provide buku office space and parking, and allow for a new public square on the surface lot between the current State House and the Folsom building.