Quote:
Originally Posted by ladowntowner
In a few weeks, workers will finally begin removing the structure. As planners originally promised, it will be replaced by something more architectural: a Frank Gehry-designed condo and shopping complex clad in glass, concrete and limestone.
The structure went up in a matter of months in 1969 as a quick fix for a pressing problem.
|
Almost 40 yrs later & we're still waiting for that deadzone to be locked up & thrown away! It was supposed to have been done 2 months ago, but I can wait. But for no more than just a few more days....wks.
I can think of countless times thru the yrs I'd drive south on Grand, north of 1st, or either west or east on 1st St, & see that parking lot sitting there & wanna throw my hands up & go
Thanks for the pics, colemonkee, k3d, & fridayinla via westsidelife. They're a great reminder that even without any new groundbreakings this yr, there's still alot to keep track of & to look forward to. And until I saw downtowncharliebrown's image of what 717 9th's height will look like compared with other nearby bldgs, I almost forgot just how much that condo tower will add to the skyline.
However, although I can hardly wait to see that day, & the time when other bldgs like LA Live's hotel are topped off, because of all the uncertainty with the economy right now, I also find myself saying: slow down, ppl! Slow down, concerto! Slow down, Muerelo! As for the Medallion, that appears to be moving slowly enough.
Muerelo's 717 tower does seem to be rising exceptionally fast, & I'd rather have bldgs like that open with as much breathing room as possible, at a time when as many existing condos & apts are filled up.
So I do find myself no longer wondering when work will begin on LA Central, not to mention parkfifth. However, I don't have any more patience for further delays on the Grand Ave proj. Get moving, ppl!!!
And I wish the govt finally would get work underway on its federal court house bldg at 1st & Broadway.
BTW, I notice some of the columns of the 717 condo tower & LA Live hotel are, for design reasons, tilted at an angle. Not as extreme as Disney Hall, but still unusually tilted by past standards. I'm guessing engineers have determined that such a design will be as good as any during an earthquake.