Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias
Are there active proposals for either of the two lots on the east side of the block between Wacker, Franklin, Washington and Randolph? I don't see any listed, but maybe someone knows something that didn't make it to the list?
It just seems odd that the SE corner of the block wouldn't even be a parking lot if there was no active plan for it.
|
No, there are not. The Crown family made a bad decision to tear down the Mercantile Exchange, and then when confronted by preservationists, they tore the fully-leased building down anyway (perhaps to prove a point).
The city responded not that they would protect the building, but that they would "demand" the finest architecture. We'll see. I think Pelli's firm was hired for a spell, but those plans never went anywhere. This appears to be stuck in a long-term holding pattern until the next boom, I'd guess. Since the owners are so rich, they don't seem to be in any hurry to improve the lot, if even with just surface parking.