HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2161  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:38 AM
Jugernagt's Avatar
Jugernagt Jugernagt is offline
Moving target
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 60
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
WAFF TV
A green neighborhood is coming to Huntsville. The green residential neighborhood will be near the northeast intersection of Douglass road and Indian Creek Road in Huntsville.
...

http://www.goparksidehomes.com/green.html
Great, another stupid Providence. Over priced houses with small lots and more students for Providence school that no one wants to go to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2162  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 2:23 AM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,441
^ in this age of out-of-control sprawl, small lots are not necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2163  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 1:59 PM
marvingardns marvingardns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 92
Quote:
Great, another stupid Providence. Over priced houses with small lots and more students for Providence school that no one wants to go to.
Providence is, in the least, a very refreshing development compared to places like Hampton Cove. I believe the school is specifically BoE's problem.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2164  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 2:15 PM
Huntsville_secede Huntsville_secede is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post
Providence is, in the least, a very refreshing development compared to places like Hampton Cove. I believe the school is specifically BoE's problem.
I like urban developments but I believe the houses in Providence are too overpriced for this area. I know they are trying to portray this urban northeast type of place (next to several car dealerships) but this still is Huntsville not Providence, Rhode Island.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2165  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 6:12 PM
BKOTH97 BKOTH97 is offline
Huntsville Metro Now!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I like urban developments but I believe the houses in Providence are too overpriced for this area. I know they are trying to portray this urban northeast type of place (next to several car dealerships) but this still is Huntsville not Providence, Rhode Island.
I think that the market will decide if they are too overpriced for this area. thus far, it looks like they are selling pretty well and the resales look to be moving at higher prices than when they were originally purchased. I really wish that they would tie the Greenway at Providence into the Indian Creek Greenway. That would be a really great development for Madison / West Huntsville.

From what I understand, the new Midtown on the park development will have a much wider range of housing and should provide some good affordable housing in essentially the same area as Providence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2166  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:18 PM
Huntsville_secede Huntsville_secede is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
I think that the market will decide if they are too overpriced for this area. thus far, it looks like they are selling pretty well and the resales look to be moving at higher prices than when they were originally purchased. I really wish that they would tie the Greenway at Providence into the Indian Creek Greenway. That would be a really great development for Madison / West Huntsville.

From what I understand, the new Midtown on the park development will have a much wider range of housing and should provide some good affordable housing in essentially the same area as Providence.
Forget the market I'm talking common sense I don't know why people would pay 500K to live next to car dealerships and mediocre restaurants. Same with these 300K townhomes and condos everyone will eventually figure out these prices are ridiculous for Huntsville come on we are still talking about Huntsville this isn't Atlanta. In larger cities people pay to live midtown for convenience, all of the attractions and things to do. Huntsville for instance, we have a Target shopping center next to the condos on University, and Providence has Cheeburger Cheeburger and Grille 29 and some more mediocre restaurants wooohoo. I really want to move to these places to enjoy the bustling fantastic city life that I can't experience in the suburbs. So they've down a good job convincing people Providence is really like living in the urban part of a northeast city. Or better yet maybe because the demand was already ridiculous on the west side and Providence is off of 72 and close to Research park is the reason why the houses are selling so good. I think the second answer is probably more likely the reason. I'd take Hampton Cove over Providence any day. The area is more beautiful, bigger lots, and much more reasonable prices, Providence is just much closer to research park. I know we need to address the problem of sprawl in Huntsville, but making everyone have super small Chicago sized lots isn't the solution. How about Huntsville start developing closer to its central core in Madison County instead of trying to annex land all the way in Morgan and Limestone counties. Or building huge subdivisions deep in the country where there are only two lane roads and never attempting to widen any of them. There's plenty of land here that there is no need to scrunch everybody up in a half acre lot, it just needs to be developed more wisely.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; Mar 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2167  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
marvingardns marvingardns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 92
Quote:
Forget the market I'm talking common sense I don't know why people would pay 500K to live next to car dealerships and mediocre restaurants. Same with these 300K townhomes and condos everyone will eventually figure out these prices are ridiculous for Huntsville come on we are still talking about Huntsville this isn't Atlanta.
Emerging markets reward risk-takers. The profit margin, if these homes can turn for these prices, was worth it to the risk-taker. I agree they are overpriced, but I will take Providence and its car-lot neighbors over the tumorous garbage growing elsewhere around Harvest and Monrovia.

Besides, Five Points, Olde Towne, Blossomwood and Whitesburg is where its all at anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2168  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
BKOTH97 BKOTH97 is offline
Huntsville Metro Now!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Forget the market I'm talking common sense I don't know why people would pay 500K to live next to car dealerships and mediocre restaurants. Same with these 300K townhomes and condos everyone will eventually figure out these prices are ridiculous for Huntsville come on we are still talking about Huntsville this isn't Atlanta.

There is an easy solution. Don't buy a house there. If enough people feel the same way you do, then the prices will come down. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, but maybe you are right. There are thousands of people moving in from NoVA and DC. they are coming with lots of equity and they will have a ton of money to put into a house.

I personally don't want anything to do with Hampton Cove. It is too far away from Research Park and getting over the mountain is a nightmare. I don't understand why anyone would live over there when there are tons of great places in Madison.

You can stay in Hampton Cove, I will stay in Madison and we can all be happy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2169  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 11:14 PM
Huntsville_secede Huntsville_secede is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
There is an easy solution. Don't buy a house there. If enough people feel the same way you do, then the prices will come down. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, but maybe you are right. There are thousands of people moving in from NoVA and DC. they are coming with lots of equity and they will have a ton of money to put into a house.

I personally don't want anything to do with Hampton Cove. It is too far away from Research Park and getting over the mountain is a nightmare. I don't understand why anyone would live over there when there are tons of great places in Madison.

You can stay in Hampton Cove, I will stay in Madison and we can all be happy!
Oh I like Madison even less, its overrated. It has nothing special to offer but its proximity to Huntsville and supposedly its schools but there are other good schools in the area too. It hasn't been able to lure any major retail within the city limits for the most part. When the land owner of the Debartlo development wanted his land annexed into Huntsville, Madison had a fit, but nobody has confidence in Madison's ability to handle anything big. Hampton Cove is much more beautiful than Madison, and thanks to Madison's inability to handle its growth, its getting increasingly difficult to get around in Madison too. I never said I lived in Hampton Cove I just said I'd pick it over Providence any day. Not everyone wants to live in over-hyped Madison, plenty of people live and move to the more beautiful eastern, and southern portions of Huntsville instead. Whats so great about Madison please tell me I've been trying to figure it out for years, I've just decided its another one of these phases where people are following what everybody else is doing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2170  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 11:16 PM
BKOTH97 BKOTH97 is offline
Huntsville Metro Now!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Not everyone wants to live in overhyped Madison, plenty of people move to the more beautiful eastern, and southern portions of Huntsville instead of thousands of subdivisions surrounded by shut down dollar generals.
Not even going to justify this with a serious reply.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2171  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 1:37 AM
AlabamaGuy2007's Avatar
AlabamaGuy2007 AlabamaGuy2007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
Not even going to justify this with a serious reply.
I wouldn't bother to try. It doesn't matter how over-hyped a place is if people are moving there. I personally think Madison is overrated too, but that doesn't mean it's not a nice place to live. The school system is pretty good, and the parts of town I've seen are nice. But, the city could do a lot better as far as traffic management goes.

Cities like Madison are always going to exist with areas growing like this one is. They are just masses and blobbs of houses that are somehow organized into a single city. It's funny how it works out, but it's usually because a large group of people don't like how one city or the county is running things. Look at places like Vestavia Hills. Nice place.

Don't worry Madison, soon enough, you'll have a twin across the river. Well, maybe not twin, it'll be smaller, but Priceville is going to eventually be like Madison I'm betting.
__________________
Decatur, Alabama: 54,528
Morgan County, AL: 115,237
Decatur Metro Area: 149,549
Huntsville-Decautr CSA: 526,302
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2172  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:19 AM
Rail Claimore's Avatar
Rail Claimore Rail Claimore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Oh I like Madison even less, its overrated. It has nothing special to offer but its proximity to Huntsville and supposedly its schools but there are other good schools in the area too. It hasn't been able to lure any major retail within the city limits for the most part. When the land owner of the Debartlo development wanted his land annexed into Huntsville, Madison had a fit, but nobody has confidence in Madison's ability to handle anything big. Hampton Cove is much more beautiful than Madison, and thanks to Madison's inability to handle its growth, its getting increasingly difficult to get around in Madison too. I never said I lived in Hampton Cove I just said I'd pick it over Providence any day. Not everyone wants to live in over-hyped Madison, plenty of people live and move to the more beautiful eastern, and southern portions of Huntsville instead. Whats so great about Madison please tell me I've been trying to figure it out for years, I've just decided its another one of these phases where people are following what everybody else is doing.
I'm still trying to figure out what's so great about Madison. If anything, it's gotten worse over the past 10 years.

Hampton Cove is nice because it's within Huntsville city limits. You get what you pay for with property taxes in the city: curbs, sidewalks, streetlights, 5-lane roads instead of two or three, etc.
__________________
So am I supposed to sign something here?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2173  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 12:52 PM
luvinhsv luvinhsv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
There is an easy solution. Don't buy a house there. If enough people feel the same way you do, then the prices will come down. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, but maybe you are right. There are thousands of people moving in from NoVA and DC. they are coming with lots of equity and they will have a ton of money to put into a house.

I personally don't want anything to do with Hampton Cove. It is too far away from Research Park and getting over the mountain is a nightmare. I don't understand why anyone would live over there when there are tons of great places in Madison.

You can stay in Hampton Cove, I will stay in Madison and we can all be happy!
I will stay in Hampton Cove, thanks! If you don't understand why people would want to live here, you must not have much experience with the area. Even though I wouldn't want to live in Madison, I totally understand the FOR THE RIGHT PERSON, Madison is a great place to live. Close to shopping, work for most, airport. My problem with Madison is that is grew too fast and its infrastructure wasn't able to keep up with growth. The traffic is too congested for me during morning and afternoon commutes. 2 -lane roads abound and turning onto these roads can be frustrating. I travel from Hampton Cove to Madison (medical complex area) every morning. Getting over the mountain isn't near the "nightmare" that Wall-Triana is in the morning! Actually ever since Cecil Ashburn opened, getting over the mountain is a piece of cake! Your comment makes me assume you rarely travel the road.

I like Hampton Cove because of the scenery, quiet, schools, tight-knit sense of community, etc... I'm sure I would like parts of Madison since I would be closer to better restaurants, more shopping etc...and especially the airport. However, please don't question the intelligence of someone based on personal choices! Makes you look a little foolish.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2174  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 1:53 PM
Huntsville_secede Huntsville_secede is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Huntsville wins hospital vote
State board OKs application for Madison facility
Thursday, March 20, 2008
By STEVE DOYLE
Times Staff Writer, [email protected]

MONTGOMERY - Finally.

That was Madison Mayor Sandy Kirkindall's reaction Wednesday after the state Certificate of Need Review Board approved Huntsville Hospital's application to build a 60-bed hospital near the Limestone County line.

Although Kirkindall had endorsed Crestwood Medical Center, he said he was happy just to see the hospital project voted on after six long years of debate.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/120600451253510.xml&coll=1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2175  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:18 PM
marvingardns marvingardns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 92
Madison perplexes me. The school system is very good. This is probably more generalization than truth (as are most opinions), but I tend to think of Madisonians as more conservative and faith-based. The returns on the primary race that were disclosed in the Times actually showed Madison clearly leaning on Huckabee while Hampton Cove and Jones Valley favored Romney and McCain. Then again, many of Huntsville's faith-based organizations are only now penetrating Madison (i.e. Young Life).

What I don't understand is the "Shop Madison First" campaign. I think its absurd. My general impression of Madison's leaders and local business interests has been that they suffer from a severe inferiority complex and an unfounded sense of self-importance to North Alabama as a whole. The city interests are a proxy to the interests of residential developers. They are allergic to the perception that Madison is dependent on Huntsville, including bearing a hospital with Huntsville's name on it.

Well... they are. It is Huntsville Utilities that runs under Kohl's, Staples, Lowes and every other NON-local business that dominates Madison's squat and sprawling "business district."

Personally, I hope Madison elects Paul Finley as the next mayor, who appears to have made 'detente' with Huntsville a central theme of his campaign. For Madison, at least, there is true self-determination that comes with its quirky personality. For Hampton Cove, there is not. Luckily there is a mountain between Huntsville proper and Hampton Cove, and whatever goes in Hampton Cove stays in Hampton Cove. Some of the worst and most pretentious personalities I have met were probably fostered and hardened in the 'natural selection' of its desperate suburban scene. Thank God for Cove Methodist.

Last edited by marvingardns; Mar 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2176  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:26 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post
Madison perplexes me. The school system is very good. This is probably more generalization than truth (as are most opinions), but I tend to think of Madisonians as more conservative and faith-based. The returns on the primary race that were disclosed in the Times actually showed Madison clearly leaning on Huckabee while Hampton Cove and Jones Valley favored Romney and McCain. Then again, many of Huntsville's faith-based organizations are only now penetrating Madison (i.e. Young Life).

What I don't understand is the "Shop Madison First" campaign. I think its absurd. My general impression of Madison's leaders and local business interests has been that they suffer from a severe inferiority complex and an unfounded sense of self-importance to North Alabama as a whole. The city interests are a proxy to the interests of residential developers. They are allergic to the perception that Madison is dependent on Huntsville, including bearing a hospital with Huntsville's name on it.

Well... they are. It is Huntsville Utilities that runs under Kohl's, Staples, Lowes and every other NON-local business that dominates Madison's squat and sprawling "business district."

Personally, I hope Madison elects Paul Finley as the next mayor, who appears to have made 'detente' with Huntsville a central theme of his campaign. For Madison, at least, there is true self-determination that comes with its quirky personality. For Hampton Cove, there is not. Luckily there is a mountain between Huntsville proper and Hampton Cove, and whatever goes in Hampton Cove stays in Hampton Cove. Some of the worst and most pretentious personalities I have met were probably fostered and hardened in the 'natural selection' of its desperate suburban scene. Thank God for Cove Methodist.
Kohl's is in Huntsville. Madison in the late 90s twiddled their fingers while Huntsville bogarted all that prime Commercial land on Highway 72 and gerrymandered it to prevent Madison from getting prime tax $$$ and being able to annex north of 72 into Monrovia/Harvest. Thanks a lot Chuck.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2177  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:37 PM
tdawg's Avatar
tdawg tdawg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,986
My little brother built a beautiful house for his family in Hampton Cove. They really love it there. Being a New Yorker, i'm of course shocked at how removed it is from Huntsville but to each his own. Plus, I enjoy the trip up and over Four Mile Post Road (not sure i would want to do it twice a day, though).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2178  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 2:00 AM
-=skywalker=- -=skywalker=- is offline
That Golfer Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 75
Another big draw of Hampton Cove is the RTJ Golf Trail venue, I know I'd prefer living along the Highland Course instead of some McMansion in a Madision subdivision, where it's flat and little to no greenery. That's one thing I hate about the subdivisions going up in Madison, they clear cut all the trees...a damn shame.
__________________
visit my city: Charlezville
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2179  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 6:54 PM
HSVTiger's Avatar
HSVTiger HSVTiger is offline
America's Mars Rocket
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 3,873
A fair article about how the Seetwater project(BassPro) may impact the Von Braun Center. Once Huntsville sees what is planned, the VBC will respond with and expansion and overhaul. Some of the comments are either stupidity or lies and would raise some warning flags.
Gary Glovers comments, about having never heard of John Q. Hammons.
Hammons is probably the biggest and most successful hotel/convention center developer in the country. He has developed Bass pro sites as well.
Glover is out of touch if this is true.
This comment by him shows he has no idea of what he is talking about.
"My thinking is this is probably more of a thing to meet the needs of Huntsville because Huntsville doesn't have the opportunity to expand the Von Braun Center," Glover said.

Not only is there room but an expansion has been in the planning stage for years.
And Mayor Spencers comments about it not being a major threat is probably a smokescreen. Right now it isn't but if the city doesn't do anything over the next 3-5 years it will be. The VBC is a different type of venue than this will be
so overall it will be a positive for all of North Alabama. A bigger question is does this mean Decatur will never have a downtown convention center which at one time was considered a priority for downtown development?


By KEITH CLINESTimes Staff Writer [email protected]
Sweetwater could compete with VBC for smaller events

The proposed hotel, convention center and entertainment arena in the Sweetwater development in Decatur could compete with Huntsville for some of the same conferences and entertainment.

The first phase of Sweetwater in the southwest corner of Alabama 20 and Interstate 65 will include a Bass Pro Shops store, an all-suite hotel with more than 300 rooms, an 80,000-square-foot conference center attached to the hotel and an entertainment venue that will seat 5,000 to 8,000 people.


Decatur Mayor Don Kyle said the Sweetwater hotel and conference center won't have as much space available for conventions as the Von Braun Center in Huntsville.

"I think it would compete on the moderate to smaller-sized situations," Kyle said.

Kyle said he has not seen drawings of the hotel and conference center, but he has been told that it would seat up to 2,000 people for meals.

Charles Winters, vice president of marketing for the Huntsville-Madison County Convention and Visitors Bureau, said the proposed Sweetwater convention center could provide "a little more competition" for Huntsville.

Sweetwater would be another option for groups that hold conferences, Winters said, but Huntsville appeals to groups with a large number of attendees.

"We serve as the anchor of North Alabama as far as sleeping rooms and shopping availability," he said.

Huntsville Mayor Loretta Spencer said she doesn't view the Sweetwater convention component as a major threat because the site seems far from other amenities
Gary Glover of Genesis USA Development LLC, which is developing Sweetwater, said it's too early to talk about details of the hotel and center.

Glover, a Nashville resident who is among about 25 people from across the country who formed Genesis for the project, would only say that it would be a four-star hotel.

Gaylord Entertainment, which owns Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center, owned part of Bass Pro Shops until it sold its 13 percent interest in the company for $222 million last year.

Glover said a Gaylord hotel at Sweetwater "would be news to me."

John L. Morris, who started Bass in Springfield, Mo., in 1971, at one time worked with Springfield-based hotel developer John Q. Hammons to build Bass Pro Shops and Embassy Suites hotels at the same locations.

Glover said he has never heard of Hammons, who developed the Embassy Suites Hotel in Huntsville.

Sweetwater's first phase with the hotel, conference center, Bass Pro Shops and another 300,000 square feet of retail space will be built on 125 acres and require an investment of up to $200 million, officials said.
Glover said it is too early to discuss specifics about entertainment prospects at the Sweetwater arena because all of the details have not been decided. He also said another partner in Genesis is "the keeper of the vision of the entertainment aspect" of the development.

Glover said he doesn't expect the Sweetwater arena to compete with the VBC for all of the same entertainers.

"My thinking is this is probably more of a thing to meet the needs of Huntsville because Huntsville doesn't have the opportunity to expand the Von Braun Center," Glover said.

Kyle said some of the Genesis investors "are tightly connected" to the entertainment industry. He said those industry connections and how near Sweetwater will be to Nashville helps the prospect of attracting stars of all levels.

The VBC arena seats up to 8,000 people for concerts, depending on the size and configuration of the stage. It seats about 6,600 people for sporting and other events held on the arena floor.

Kyle said he has been told that the Sweetwater arena would be an entertainment venue with theater-type seating.

That setup would rule out the arena hosting sporting events such as indoor football and minor league hockey.

"The initial thought has been for entertainment events," Glover said when asked if the Sweetwater arena could be used for sporting events.

Steve Maples, executive director of the VBC, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.


Later phases of the development on the 540-acre site could represent an investment of up to $1.3 billion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2180  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 8:25 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,621
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/travel...4538f5c37&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

^Ok, so any chance in the medium term that Open Skies will do a growing Airport like HSV well? Give me a Transatlantic RyanAir!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.