HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 3:51 AM
Ute_City's Avatar
Ute_City Ute_City is offline
Gone Fishing.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC Metro
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Careful Viperlord, I'm sure that this is very insulting to anyone who is gay , lesbian , or bisexual . Using homosexuality as an insult or pejorative is most inappropriate!
Oh give me a break. Enough of this politically correct 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵...
__________________
Something witty...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:25 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ute_City View Post
Oh give me a break. Enough of this politically correct 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵...
Do you honestly see something incorrect about my statement?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:19 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I don't think it's the fact that people hate soccer. I think it's the fact that people hate Sandy. If this project ( Stadium ) was in downtown SLC or Fairgrounds then no one would be bitching about how it's a wast of money.
There's alot of people we could blame. Dave ( The owner ), Rocky Anderson, or even Earl Holding for not selling or giving up his land on 400 South and Main Street that could of been a great spot of a stadium. Sandy had the land....Salt Lake didn't.
Bah...Bah...Bah...What's done is done. Let's look forward and hope for better luck with the NFL or MLB being in SLC.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:02 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Viperlord, as a gay man living in SLC I am not offended by your statement. I can't speak for the rest of the forum.

As a soccer fan, I am just curious as to whether or not urbanboy has been out to the fairgrounds? That neighborhood would do nothing to attract more visitors. It is a downtrodden neighborhood that certainly needs an economic injection, but a stadium is not the solution. Placing TRAX down North Temple and encouraging TOD's with some more density is the right solution. I think that it would be a horrible location for the stadium. This is a state of the art facility. If it could not be located downtown, where a viable location was never announced, then I would much rather see it in Sandy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:32 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I am just curious as to whether or not urbanboy has been out to the fairgrounds? That neighborhood would do nothing to attract more visitors. It is a downtrodden neighborhood that certainly needs an economic injection, but a stadium is not the solution. Placing TRAX down North Temple and encouraging TOD's with some more density is the right solution. I think that it would be a horrible location for the stadium. This is a state of the art facility. If it could not be located downtown, where a viable location was never announced, then I would much rather see it in Sandy.
Hey UTPlanner, I have been in that area, and I think a soccer stadium would have been the perfect match! Had the Stadium been placed at the fair grounds, it could have sped up the Airport TRAX spur (at least to the fairgrounds), bringing more people to the area, helping economic development along North Temple, and so on. Plus, although this is a generalization, the demographic in those neighborhoods surrounding the fair grounds love soccer. A stadium would have been a great anchor for the fair grounds, really helping to make our fairgrounds world class.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:49 PM
TimeSaltlake's Avatar
TimeSaltlake TimeSaltlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
I think the Fair Grounds would be a good host to a stadium. As urbanboy stated, the trax will be going through. Plus that area is set for a change when trax is built to service there.

Two, I have to say that I am not a fan of having to drive to Sandy to get to the game, but I will do it anyways, or die trying to cross the State street after I ride the Trax.

Three. If you look at the demographics of the region, Sandy would benefit the most, simply because of the "Family and Jones effect." If it was built in the fair grounds, you would have a larger Latino (I'm a Latino myself) economic base, which would not bring or cause as much spending in the "preferred" businesses such as dinning and lodging. But Coronas Sells would be thru the roof
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 7:17 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Well, thankfully beer sales will be availabe at the stadium, so you and I can both enjoy a corona or two...or more. I will be taking TRAX to the games hence the beer. I'll be more worried about crossing State Street after the game in an inebriated state. (Wow, now I really sound like a drunk.)

The reason I disagree is that a stadium takes up a lot of space and in all reality is rarely used. The "west side" needs development that will spur development that is utilized daily. I would rather see North Temple become a truly mixed-use boulevard-- with residential, retail, and other commercial uses. I do not think that building a stadium would be a good catalyst for this kind of development in the area.

On a positive note I do like seeing the CitiFront project on North Temple expanding itself. I realize it is not an example of great architecture but it is bringing residents into the area. Hopefully, others will follow the trend.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 7:31 PM
blm3034L!fe's Avatar
blm3034L!fe blm3034L!fe is offline
Denver is the M/W Father!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSaltlake View Post
Three. If you look at the demographics of the region, Sandy would benefit the most, simply because of the "Family and Jones effect." If it was built in the fair grounds, you would have a larger Latino (I'm a Latino myself) economic base, which would not bring or cause as much spending in the "preferred" businesses such as dinning and lodging. But Coronas Sells would be thru the roof



Mabe even a Modelo or Tecate? LOL I drink both of those Cervezas!!!
__________________
We're either progressing or retrograding all the time.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:14 AM
Ute_City's Avatar
Ute_City Ute_City is offline
Gone Fishing.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC Metro
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Do you honestly see something incorrect about my statement?
Yes I do. You are trying to create 'a mountain out of an ant hill' with his comment. Viperlord gave a tongue-in-cheek description of Dolan's and Checkett's business relationship...I did not intrepret it as a blast against homosexuals. Quit trying to create a controversy.
__________________
Something witty...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 2:58 AM
TimeSaltlake's Avatar
TimeSaltlake TimeSaltlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
Ute City, Don't add to this. You know that there are plenty of other things to bother oneself about. I don't think that either Viperlord or Urban Boy were truly upset by each others comments, and if they where, they are adult enough to diplomatically voice their concerns, and handle it.

Lets go get a cerveza since UTPlanner is buying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:28 AM
Ute_City's Avatar
Ute_City Ute_City is offline
Gone Fishing.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC Metro
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSaltlake View Post
Ute City, Don't add to this. You know that there are plenty of other things to bother oneself about. I don't think that either Viperlord or Urban Boy were truly upset by each others comments, and if they where, they are adult enough to diplomatically voice their concerns, and handle it.

Lets go get a cerveza since UTPlanner is buying.
Hey I'm just defending Viperlord...
__________________
Something witty...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:03 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
I don't think Viperlord needs defending since I wasn't attacking him. Those things I said were only meant to be a friendly reminder.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:08 AM
UTvision UTvision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 138
So, how bout that stadium?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:21 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTvision View Post
So, how bout that stadium?

I think it's looking good UTvision.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 11:14 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,746
RSL stadium picks concessionaire. Bring appetite for more than soccer

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_8687385?source=rv

.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #456  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:13 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Right on. Real food during a Real Soccer game.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #457  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 11:05 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,746
Real Salt Lake: Things are looking up, RSL owner reflects on mistakes, is cautiously optimistic for the future

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695265028,00.html


Dave Checketts, right, hopes the new season will have Real Salt Lake holding their heads high rather than suffering through another losing soccer season. (August Miller, Deseret Morning News)



August Miller, Deseret Morning News
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #458  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 11:31 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,746
Real food: Soccer stadium goes upscale with its cuisine

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/
1,5143,695264909,00.html



Stuart Johnson

Stuart Johnson

Stuart Johnson






.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #459  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:16 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
All that food sure does look good. If I know about it I would of been there. LOL
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.