HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3721  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 2:45 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Sandy lifts curtain on theatre - City has both funding and developer in place

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695254728,00.html

Sandy has been studying the issue for about a year and a half and has the funding in place for a development near 10100 south and 250 West that would include a theater...

...In addition to the theater, the project will include 850,000 square feet of office space, 600 high-rise condominiums and 300,000 square feet of retail and entertainment space , according to documents made public Tuesday.


.

Hmmm, very interesting. I think it's interesting how the county plans to study the feasibility of a theater and then determine the best location. Seems like the smart thing to do.

While it would seem a little back handed, not that Sandy hasn't done anything backhanded. I think Mayor Becker needs to package any sort of incentives he can in order to get a theater put in downtown. I would wager on the fact that if Sandy has a 2,800 seat theater and downtown SLC has a 2,800 seat theater I would say 8 out of ten productions would choose downtown. Hell my mother lives in Cottonwood Heights just a few miles away from Sandy and even she knows that the logical choice for a theater is in downtown. Maybe it's a good thing I'm not Mayor yet, because I would simply give Sandy the finger and get one started in DT right now.

I would honestly questions a study that say a theater will make $300,000 a year or more. Besides a few markets, NY, Chicago, LA, San Fran Toronto and maybe one or two more, I would venture to guess that the majority of theaters are subsidized in some way or another.

Maybe Mayor Becker needs to sit down with the LDS church and see if they would be willing to transer title of a piece of property to the city and allow them to build a theater on it. I know that the LDS church would rather have a theater in DT than in Sandy, it only increases the amount of foot traffic to CCC and to Temple Square. Case in Point all the property in red is owned by Zions, blue is Utah Power. A theater could easily be built on the space in red, even without taking down the Dinwoody building, maybe it could be incorporated into the overall design of the theater.


I understand Sandy wanting to be all growed up but come on, creating a DT is an evolution over time. You can't just make one. 600 residents, come on!

Last edited by Future Mayor; Feb 20, 2008 at 3:47 PM.
     
     
  #3722  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:49 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I don't see why they can't go back to the classic base. I think the windows offer a far better look than what they have proposed.

Not perfect, but to give you an idea...

We're too late. I walked by last night and the've already started installing the new awning and facade.
     
     
  #3723  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:51 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,756
^^^
^^^
Certain elements of this development in Sandy do seem a little far-fetched, don't they. Well, I guess we'll see. I can see this possibly happening over a phased, ten year period. However, I think downtown's time is NOW for a theatre. Mayor Becker's office should be anxiously engaged in promoting all angles of this theatre downtown. For example,naming rights for a Marriott, Huntsman, Holding, Eccles, or Tanner etc. should be pursued as is being done with the Leonardo. I think with the CCC and Salt Palace next door that a downtown theatre would be highly successful.
     
     
  #3724  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:54 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
We're too late. I walked by last night and the've already started installing the new awning and facade.
Could you tell yet Ark what this metallic like material is that they are using?
     
     
  #3725  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:21 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Could you tell yet Ark what this metallic like material is that they are using?
They hadn't applied any finish materials yet, just the framing for that monsterous awning and the odd orange vertical thing.
     
     
  #3726  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:22 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
Not too happy about the theater in Sandy, but my curiosity is piqued at the mention of high rise residential.....
     
     
  #3727  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:33 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I too agree that a major theater should be in downtown Salt Lake. I do like the idea of Sandy getting high rise residential buildings.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #3728  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:19 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
So, I found this:



...and then I drew this:


What do you think? I forwarded it to the Canyon Rim Community Council.

I feel this possible solution will help create a more dramatic entrance or gateway, and sense of arrival into the Canyon Rim Community. Also, this could create both opportunity for beautification around this area, and opportunity to develop the land that would be freed up by my proposed on-ramp realignment. Also I feel my proposed route for the trail will be a good connector of neighborhoods throughout this community.

In my opinion, the current 2300 E. on-ramp alignment is dangerous since the smoothed out curves allow vehicles to gain speed/momentum prior to the very sharp turn to the west. Many collisions happen at this sharp turn in the road. The car paint found on the road barriers proves this. If the on-ramp were realigned to 2700 S., there would need to be sharper turns throughout, causing cars to naturally slow down, until they are passed the last sharp turn.
     
     
  #3729  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 3:21 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Broadway Tower Apartments to be converted to Condominiums

I posted this awhile back, but heres a small blurb and bump about it...



old apartment page....

http://property.onesite.realpage.com/tem...44&t=template_04privilege&siteid=1015344


new condominium page....

http://www.broadwaytower.com/




The site says that they are currently working on a roof-top terrace on the 13th floor. I wish they would do something with the exterior facade.
     
     
  #3730  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:53 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
So, I found this:



What do you think? I forwarded it to the Canyon Rim Community Council.

If the on-ramp were realigned to 2700 S., there would need to be sharper turns throughout, causing cars to naturally slow down, until they are passed the last sharp turn.

I like it. I wish they could open up 23rd to motions in all four interchange movements instead of only two, but I do agree the current interchange needs work. I don't see sharper turns coming. It needs to meet interstate standards, and I bet the current interchange barely meets code right now.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
     
     
  #3731  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:11 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Well, I got a bit carried away with your plans Urbanboy, and I ended up taking out 14 houses. I think you're biggest snag is 2700 South is too far north to really connect to.

__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
     
     
  #3732  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 8:05 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Heh, this is my neighborhood. In fact, my house is right off 2700 S and 2000 East. I just use the 1300 East entrance. Not too hard.
     
     
  #3733  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:32 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
^^^
Hey Comrade,

I grew up in Canyon Rim and went to Canyon Rim elementary school.
     
     
  #3734  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:37 PM
Northernlad Northernlad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 545
Some Reality news about real estate. It looks like Utah, who was late with joining the rest of the nation in the most recent booming housing market 2 - 3 years ago, is feeling the effects of what was bound to happen. This isn't good news for all of the condominium towers proposed and I fear that we might see some stalled or numbers of units changed in recent proposals to better compete with a flailing market. Some agents in an office in the same building I work are actually looking for supplemental income because the market is rumored to get worse before it levels out. They tell me that condo sales are the hardest sells in a buyers market because people would rather have a single family home.



http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8322123
New home sales plunge, Utah builders put brakes on house construction
By Lesley Mitchell
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/21/2008 06:40:30 AM MST


Two new reports out Wednesday show that demand for new homes along the Wasatch Front has plummeted, leaving the area with a glut of unsold houses.
Builders along the Wasatch Front took out permits for the construction of 242 homes in January, the lowest level since 1990, a report by Construction Monitor shows.
January's total is down 74 percent from 937 in January 2007, said the service, which tracks building activity throughout the West.
Builders are adjusting to a record glut of newly constructed houses that remain empty, according to a second report, by Newreach, real estate research company in Salt Lake City.
In Salt Lake County in the fourth quarter, there were a record 1,037 completed-yet-unoccupied houses and condominiums, up from 340 units in the fourth quarter 2006, Newreach said.
"It's a record level, but it could be far worse" if builders had not curbed new-construction levels so quickly as the market began to sour," said Jason Eldredge of Newreach. In other areas of the country, such as Phoenix and Las Vegas, builders took longer to reduce their construction levels, which aggravated the downturn.
     
     
  #3735  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:46 PM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Heh, this is my neighborhood. In fact, my house is right off 2700 S and 2000 East. I just use the 1300 East entrance. Not too hard.
I didn't take out your house did I? Sorry if I did.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
     
     
  #3736  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:52 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Hey I-215,

What program did you use to render that?
     
     
  #3737  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:34 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlad View Post
Some Reality news about real estate. It looks like Utah, who was late with joining the rest of the nation in the most recent booming housing market 2 - 3 years ago, is feeling the effects of what was bound to happen. This isn't good news for all of the condominium towers proposed and I fear that we might see some stalled or numbers of units changed in recent proposals to better compete with a flailing market. Some agents in an office in the same building I work are actually looking for supplemental income because the market is rumored to get worse before it levels out. They tell me that condo sales are the hardest sells in a buyers market because people would rather have a single family home.



http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8322123
New home sales plunge, Utah builders put brakes on house construction
By Lesley Mitchell
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/21/2008 06:40:30 AM MST


Two new reports out Wednesday show that demand for new homes along the Wasatch Front has plummeted, leaving the area with a glut of unsold houses.
Builders along the Wasatch Front took out permits for the construction of 242 homes in January, the lowest level since 1990, a report by Construction Monitor shows.
January's total is down 74 percent from 937 in January 2007, said the service, which tracks building activity throughout the West.
Builders are adjusting to a record glut of newly constructed houses that remain empty, according to a second report, by Newreach, real estate research company in Salt Lake City.
In Salt Lake County in the fourth quarter, there were a record 1,037 completed-yet-unoccupied houses and condominiums, up from 340 units in the fourth quarter 2006, Newreach said.
"It's a record level, but it could be far worse" if builders had not curbed new-construction levels so quickly as the market began to sour," said Jason Eldredge of Newreach. In other areas of the country, such as Phoenix and Las Vegas, builders took longer to reduce their construction levels, which aggravated the downturn.

I have been worried about that too. However I think it's self to say that Tower one is a done deal and that it will stay at 32-stories since the crane is up and the work as already began. However I would be more worried about Tower 2 and Tower 5 since crews still need to dig out the holes on both those sites. But CCC is well under way.
I would be more worried about South Salt Lake and with that 27-story condominium tower. That could get stalled back and we could lose a few floors on that since ground hasn't even broke yet. I hope not.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #3738  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:48 PM
WASDEN's Avatar
WASDEN WASDEN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kailua HI
Posts: 391


What do you guys think about this kind of allignment for 27th South? More allowable maneuvers, uses less space, and doesn't interfere with existing homes.
     
     
  #3739  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:49 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I didn't take out your house did I? Sorry if I did.
Na', my house is a little bit west of the homes you took out.
     
     
  #3740  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:55 PM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post


What do you guys think about this kind of allignment for 27th South? More allowable maneuvers, uses less space, and doesn't interfere with existing homes.
Any way you can get the photo bigger?
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.