HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2721  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:35 PM
Los_Lobo's Avatar
Los_Lobo Los_Lobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dixon, CA (Sacramento ??)
Posts: 273
email to Mayor and Council

I sent an email message a couple of days ago to the group saying I was appalled at the statements of 3 members (Fargo, Cohn and Hammond) that their view to the Capitol would be blocked by the Metropolitan. I told them it was a conflict of interest and they should be more concerned with a view of a vibrant city than a self-serving view of the Capitol.

I haven't heard a peep from anyone.......



(Here's a big HELLO to Sactivity. Hope all is well up north.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2722  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:36 PM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los_Lobo View Post
I sent an email message a couple of days ago to the group saying I was appalled at the statements of 3 members (Fargo, Cohn and Hammond) that their view to the Capitol would be blocked by the Metropolitan. I told them it was a conflict of interest and they should be more concerned with a view of a vibrant city than a self-serving view of the Capitol.

I haven't heard a peep from anyone.......

(Here's a big HELLO to Sactivity. Hope all is well up north.)
Good!

You should also forward it as a letter to the Planning and Design Commission.
It would be even better if you could find a specific contact with the City that
is handeling the project. There is probably a planner assigned to the project
that would field such letters and make sure they accompany the attachments
forwarded onto the commission.

I've got that information before through the developer. In this case:

Saca Developement Employees
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
Map of recent Sacramento developments
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2723  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:58 PM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
Okay, here's kind of an out-of-the-blue question:

Would you rather see a 40-story condo tower built downtown, or five 8-story condos in midtown?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2724  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:12 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
If midtown and downtown were on equally footing as of right now, I would probably take the five 8-story buildings in midtown. That fills in many more gaps and surface parking lots than one building.

But I think downtown needs the boost of residents much more than Midtown at this present time. So I would go for the 40-story.

Hell, as long as they were dense (remember 800j is still a dense 190 DUA) and had a good ground floor presence, I would take five 8-story buildings in DT.

Last edited by sugit; Jan 17, 2008 at 7:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2725  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:28 PM
ltsmotorsport's Avatar
ltsmotorsport ltsmotorsport is offline
Here we stAy
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Parkway Pauper
Posts: 7,758
Completely agree, sugit. Though I would like to save some lots for highrises in the future.
__________________
Riding out the crazy train
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2726  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:12 PM
BrianSac's Avatar
BrianSac BrianSac is offline
CHACUN SON GOÛT
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat? View Post
My email to: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>; [email protected]; [email protected]; "[email protected]" <[email protected]>; [email protected]; "[email protected]" <[email protected]>; [email protected]; "[email protected]" <[email protected]>; "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

The Metropolitan project

Good morning,

I would like to register my extreme disappointment with Mayor Fargo's illogical quest to impose height limits on such structures. I'd like to see Sacramento develop into a world-class city and the mayor seems hellbent on preventing this from occurring. I know her arguments for the height restrictions and I find them to be without merit.

Thank you,
Good letter! Thanks for posting those email addy's.

I'll compose a similar letter and send to the same people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2727  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:12 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
If midtown and downtown were on equally footing as of right now, I would probably take the five 8-story buildings in midtown. That fills in many more gaps and surface parking lots than one building.

But I think downtown needs the boost of residents much more than Midtown at this present time. So I would go for the 40-story.

Hell, as long as they were dense (remember 800j is still a dense 190 DUA) and had a good ground floor presence, I would take five 8-story buildings in DT.


I agree 100%

As you pointed out, all things are not equal and downtown is in dire need of new residential units whether it's one 40 story high-rise or four 10 story (whatever), just put them downtown.
__________________
Sacramento
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2728  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 4:28 AM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,790
Here was mine. I hope you didn't mind I used the beginning of your email Rivercat.

Quote:
To whom it may concern:

I would like to register my extreme disappointment with Mayor Fargo's illogical quest to impose height limits on such structures. I'd like to see Sacramento develop into a world-class city and the mayor seems hellbent on preventing this from occurring. I know her arguments for the height restrictions and I find them to be without merit. As a longtime resident of Sacramento I have seen this city take a wonderful turn toward smart, responsible growth and up until now, I was under the impression that Mayor Fargo and the Council was behind this all the way. Now I hear this from the Mayor and, if this holds true, I can no longer support her. This is exactly the definition of the word NIMBY! NOT IN MY BACKYARD! This is shameful coming from the Mayor/Council who has led this city well up until this point. Please reconsider your feelings on the Metropolitan development and don’t get caught up in the negativity and selfishness that is displayed by the parties who are suing you like Mo Mohanna and William Kopper. I trust that you will make the right decision in this matter and continue to lead Sacramento into a new era of smart, urban growth that will bring MORE developments like the Metropolitan that will benefit generations to come.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2729  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 6:12 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
From the Biz Journal on the East End Gateway sites.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2730  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 7:04 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Whats the timeline for construction after the march approval?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2731  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 7:07 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
November 2008 - July 2010 for 16th and N.

The smaller two buildings on 16th and O in July/August - Oct 2009
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2732  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:22 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
I was running by the CADA office this morning and saw the agenda for next weeks meeting and approving the DDA for sites 2 and 3 is on there.

Glad to see they got it hammered out. Now let's just hope the same doesn't happen as last time where the bids for the Loftworks project came in way too high even after the DDA was approved.

East End Gateway Sites II and III
16th and O Street
Developer: Ravel Rasmussen Properties
Architect: Chang Partners
Site II: 4 Stories, 24 Apartments, 4900 sf retail
Site III: 5 Stores, 60 Apartment, 7100 sf retail

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2733  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:10 PM
jsf8278's Avatar
jsf8278 jsf8278 is offline
Edge_City
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 211
Looks like CADA is really on a roll. Those three projects will really add a lot to that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2734  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:05 AM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
Yup, but I will wait until they are actually u/c before I cheer. If they can get these three, and Capitol Lofts on R Street going this year, that would be a great year. That would come out to over 300 housing units.

My contact at CADA also says they will probably be offering the site at 16th and P to developers again now that Lambert pulled out a few months ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2735  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:22 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Yup, but I will wait until they are actually u/c before I cheer. If they can get these three, and Capitol Lofts on R Street going this year, that would be a great year. That would come out to over 300 housing units.

My contact at CADA also says they will probably be offering the site at 16th and P to developers again now that Lambert pulled out a few months ago.

In this housing market i wont be holding my breath for any of the projects to break ground...



On a side note i don't know if anyone mentioned it but the News Beat On L street is moving from it's longtime location across from the Capitol.

Apparently they wantd to expand into the space next door after the Avid readed relocated, but the city wanted that site for the wine tasting toom (which is no longer happening btw). Anyway by the time the city figured out the wine tasting room wasn't going to happen the News Beat had already signed a lease in MAARS. So now the city will have two vacant store fronts in a high profile area..

Also i just read SacTwon for Dec/Jan and caught the article about the Planetarium and noted a mention that the lights on the Ziggurat maybe coming back on. Anybody else catch that?
__________________
Sacramento
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2736  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 5:42 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
For Capitol Lofts and 16th and N, I would agree a bit. But each is getting a subsidy though, so that should help a long. Plus the projects won't be done until 2010, that gives the market time to shake out a bit.

The two sites on O Street are rentals though, that is a strong market right now so I would expect that to happen, barring costs again that killed the last project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2737  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
TWAK's Avatar
TWAK TWAK is offline
Resu Deretsiger
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clearlake, CA Micropolitan Statistical Area
Posts: 17,172
more apartments would be cool for downtown.
like cheap apartments that I can afford. If I am ever a multi millionaire I'll build a middle class rental tower in Sacramento. Mark my words.
__________________
#ruralurbanist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2738  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:01 AM
jsf8278's Avatar
jsf8278 jsf8278 is offline
Edge_City
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 211
does anyone know the status of Globe Mills? There webiste says completition by January of this year...that can't be right. There's really not much info on any websites. I suppose I could look for myself but I figured I would just ask.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2739  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 8:50 AM
Phillip Phillip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
On a side note i don't know if anyone mentioned it but the News Beat On L street is moving from it's longtime location across from the Capitol.

Apparently they wantd to expand into the space next door after the Avid readed relocated, but the city wanted that site for the wine tasting toom (which is no longer happening btw). Anyway by the time the city figured out the wine tasting room wasn't going to happen the News Beat had already signed a lease in MAARS.
Unless someone works at the Capitol MAARS seems like a better overall location for NewsBeat. Parking isn't easy near MAARS but it's better than on L Street across from Capitol, and there's synergy between magazines/newspapers and the coffeshops/pizza by the slice at/near MAARS.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2740  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:41 PM
DALINSAC's Avatar
DALINSAC DALINSAC is offline
Ugliest Lamps on Earth!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
Unless someone works at the Capitol MAARS seems like a better overall location for NewsBeat. Parking isn't easy near MAARS but it's better than on L Street across from Capitol, and there's synergy between magazines/newspapers and the coffeshops/pizza by the slice at/near MAARS.
That would be pretty cool.
BTW/ Does anyone know how many more retail spaces are available at MAARS?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.