HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2681  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 9:03 PM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
"overthrow" and "coup" generally involve lining people up against the wall and shooting them. is this what you have in mind, majin?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2682  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 9:05 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
"overthrow" and "coup" generally involve lining people up against the wall and shooting them. is this what you have in mind, majin?
Something a little less extreme.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2683  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
Web Web is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Also, does anybody know how I would go about contacting John Saca?

Go into a Filco store and ask......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2684  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:12 AM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Something a little less extreme.
Okay then...I was worried you were going to end up like Yukio Mishima!

Contacting John Saca:

http://www.saca.biz/index.htm
77 Cadillac Drive, Suite 150
Sacramento, CA 95825
Call916) 920-0400
Fax916) 641-0400
Email: [email protected]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2685  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:14 AM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,790
I withdraw any support I had of Heather Fargo in the past! She is a NIMBY and is now showing her true colors. Get that 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 out NOW! For once, I'm with Majin!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2686  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:41 AM
BOTC's Avatar
BOTC BOTC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
I withdraw any support I had of Heather Fargo in the past! She is a NIMBY and is now showing her true colors. Get that 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 out NOW! For once, I'm with Majin!



Self expression isn't a problem for you is it neuhickman...

Last edited by BOTC; Jan 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2687  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:42 PM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTC View Post



Self expression isn't a problem for you is it neuhickman...
I'm a Leo, I'm gay, and I sing and write music! I think I'm okay in the self expression department!

Last edited by creamcityleo79; Jan 14, 2008 at 7:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2688  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:41 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
C'mon, all we have is me and neuhickman so far? We have been sitting here bitching on the forums for the past 2 years and it's got us nothing. We need to stop bitching and start taking some action.

Lets come together and get this thing started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2689  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:57 PM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
C'mon, all we have is me and neuhickman so far? We have been sitting here bitching on the forums for the past 2 years and it's got us nothing. We need to stop bitching and start taking some action.

Lets come together and get this thing started.
Who will lead this movement? I believe about 2 1/2 years ago 6 or 7 of us
tried something like this to see it fizzle after a few months. Remember "SACFRG"?
TowerDistric even got a website up and going for SACFRG.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2690  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:53 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Who will lead this movement? I believe about 2 1/2 years ago 6 or 7 of us
tried something like this to see it fizzle after a few months. Remember "SACFRG"?
TowerDistric even got a website up and going for SACFRG.
We can get our members together and vote someone to lead, but we all contribute equally to the cause. Ironicly, I think maybe wburg should (for now) be leading things since it seems like he knows far more than us about how things currently work. He may have very different opinions than most of us, but I think even he can agree the current administration is broken and needs to be fixed (gee, where have we all heard this before??).

Whats the url for the website again? We need to get our talking points on the website, with our plan to get the current administration out, and what we want to bring to the table.

I can also spiffy up the website a little if its needed (i'm also a web designer). I'm ready to pull my full time effort into this outside of my normal work hours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2691  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:13 PM
econgrad econgrad is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 795
^ Good luck with that you guys.

It is kind of sad, I predict West Sacramento rising upwards while Sacramento just kind of...fizzles...

Last edited by econgrad; Jan 15, 2008 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2692  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
Sorry, I'm already on too many community boards...besides, I'm probably going to vanish again as soon as the semester starts at Sac State! It's too bad that the city has cancelled the latest "Planning Academy" session: that was a fantastic way to learn how the city runs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2693  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 2:59 AM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2694  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:47 AM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Ok, the lack of response is kind of sad.

I guess its back to bitching on the forums for another 2 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2695  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:07 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Ok, the lack of response is kind of sad.

I guess its back to bitching on the forums for another 2 years.


Oh puh lease!!


Listen you were invited repeatedly to come down and join us (to get involved when SACFRG was an idea beeing floated around) and the only interest you ever showed was to volunteer to help establish a website; (which you never stepped up to the plate to follow through). So you'll excuse us if we don't take this latest offer of yours too seriously..

I used to have an interest in getting SACFRG off the ground and in fact i wrote letters and hand delievered them to memers of the Assembly & Senate when Mr. Bow Tie; Godzilla menacing the dome was trying to put the breaks on 301 CM...

I've spoken at various council meetings, commissions and boards and honestly Majin if you wanted to get involved why in the world have you waited this long?

I want to see Sacramento enjoy quality growth, but I have zero interest investing any more energy getting anything off the ground, when it's pretty clear people either don't have time, don't have a burning desire or perhaps just prefer bi^ching on SSP.

And lastly the people of Sacramento elect people like Fargo, Cohn and Hammond, so we have nobody to blame but ourselves.


My involvement from here on out will be limited to writing a check for a mayoral campaign challenger to Fargo and to casting a vote.

Oh and bi^ching on SSP for the next two years.
__________________
Sacramento
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2696  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:38 PM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600
Some thoughts...

I don't think there necessarily needs to be a calculated objective to form a
group that seeks to see well designed developments are approved by the
City Council. The objectives that many of us here share are already built into
the City development process. The problem is when things break down for
personal reasons that don't relate to established development guidelines.

This latest case of the Mayor giving veto to a building that has been
approved by the Planning and Design Commission is a unilateral attack
on the development with none of the guidance and assistance that the other
commissions provide. In other words - she doesn't like it, so she's gonna
make it impossible to build. The commissions giving projects like the
Metropolitan their due oversight were appointed to make such decisions
and to uphold the thousands of minute individual concerns that surrounding
residents have established in the past.

We don't make 30-year General Plan updates to target new high density
growth areas adjacent to job centers and transit, only to refuse them
because the project is too "sleek" or blocks the view of the Capitol from
City Hall. Those two buildings don't share anything other than their
occasional inner disfunction.

But I digress... I think that there is no problem with simply writing to the
Mayor, your council representative, Planning, Design, or Preservation
Commission and advising them to uphold their responsibilities using their
own verbiage. We often complain about individuals, companies, and/or
government organizations taking advantage of the system to exploit their
concerns - but the truth is that they're doing everything within their power
to see things happen their way.

We hold the same responsibility. I'm no William Kopper, Enviromental and
Divorce Attorney extraordinaire, but a few well written and well placed letters
can make a difference when it comes time for a developer to stand in the
face of a misguided and confused council - and even better if you can show
up and read said letter at a hearing to make sure they're listening to, if not
reading what you have to say.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
Map of recent Sacramento developments
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2697  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:44 PM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600
(and just how can the Council call Metropolitan be too "sleek" for it's historical
surroundings when the new City Hall addition sits right in its own backyard?)
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
Map of recent Sacramento developments
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2698  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:36 PM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
td: The new City Hall was designed to complement the historic City Hall, and does a pretty good job, in detail, materials, and massing. Take a look at the brick patterns on new city hall and you'll note that they reflect the historic building too. It's certainly not impossible to design a modern building that complements a historic environment.

I took a look at the video and Councilmember Tretheway's criticisms of the building sound a lot like sentiments I have seen posted here regarding the building at 15th and K or 621 CM: the side facing the city plaza doesn't have enough architectural interest or detail to meet up to the standard set by the library, city hall, the Citizen, or even the US Bank tower on 9th and J. I don't think the Metropolitan looks sleek so much as plain: it looks like it's made out of Legos in the renderings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2699  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:07 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
"Sleek" is deffinately NOT the word I would have used for the Metro... Maybe "Slack."

Perhaps there is a slightly silverish-looking faux-aluminum foil lining to this decision. Hopefully, developers will start making buildings that have 360° appeal instead of the ghosttown-facade facing the south...
__________________
Giant Meteor 2024
Just end it all already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2700  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:18 PM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600
I'm not bagging on the City Hall addition. I think it looks great. And I know a
building can be designed to compliment historic surroundings, but at what
cost? The materials used in your good examples, were built a loooong time
ago when natural materials were dirt cheap. And the other is a modern office
building, built over 10 years ago, for a different clientele.

The City has watched all it's prized projects fall through the cracks because
they were cost prohibitive, and now they have a few late-comers that are
scaled down and realistic. Reality has obviously set in for housing developers,
when will it kick in for the council? Also, developers are building these glass
towers, not because their architects can't think of anything better - but
because that's what people want to live in.

I don't think the Metro is going to win international design awards, but it's
neither an architectural abomination. I see a lot of function in it's utilitarian
aesthetic. I also see a lot of benefit in seeing it's construction through.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
Map of recent Sacramento developments
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.