HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #321  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 9:03 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Raising up buildings using hydraulic jacks is not uncommon; it's used at Bonzai Airport in Japan to level the building as the island it is built on is constantly sinking
That's Kansai Airport near Osaka. Itr's not a constuction method - its just a way to counteract different rates of settling over different parts of the airport. i.e. the runways do not sink quickly, while the heavier terminal structure does. There was a Discovery Channel show on it a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #322  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
Cypherus's Avatar
Cypherus Cypherus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,759
Update on the Shangri-la view from the Numinous Web cam: Looking good with the snowcapped mountains.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #323  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 10:42 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
That's Kansai Airport near Osaka. Itr's not a constuction method - its just a way to counteract different rates of settling over different parts of the airport. i.e. the runways do not sink quickly, while the heavier terminal structure does. There was a Discovery Channel show on it a few years ago.
We actaully had to do that to my house. It was built on unstable clay, and it was in danger of sinking into the river behind us, so we had to lift up the house on hydraulic jacks and redo the entire foundation. Pretty 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 few months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #324  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 11:02 PM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Towerguy, what kinda drugs are you on dude?
I often wonder that also.....care to share bro?
__________________
Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #325  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:53 AM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
the mountains were gorgeous this morning. oh, and shagri-la too

here's a great shot from flickr.com

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #326  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:10 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
^Sweet shot. Thanks Delirium.

It's always so crazy when you can see such a well-defined line of altitude where the temperature effectively hits 0. Especially when over a period of a few weeks or so it starts creeping further and further down and you know its just a matter of time until it hits the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #327  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:27 AM
androo3's Avatar
androo3 androo3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 213
looks like shangri la is above the snow line!!... Kidding. Great Shot!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #328  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:32 AM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
ha ha, yea. All the other buildings cower below the snowline, then there is Shangri-la who is all like "Mwa-ha-ha 🞵🞵🞵🞵 you jackass" standing tall above the mountains.

Shangri-la Vs. Teresen is like David vs. Goliath.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #329  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:37 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is online now
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,747
Gorgeous shots. I want to come back for Christmas!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #330  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:14 AM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,699
After discussing it with the editor at Emporis, I just wanted to point out that the basis for the adjustment to the total height for Living Shangri-la on Emporis.com (to 62 storeys and 659 ft) did indeed come from a credible source.

Whether or not the source is correct or mistaken remains to be seen, but thought it was worth noting that the person is neither lying, nor is this merely second-hand info from some guy on the street in an orange vest...

While I remain skeptical as to how the height would increase without being made public (through the City of Vancouver), and while it is still unclear as to whether this is just floor numbering, or accounting for the fins (which could theoretically go to 660 ft without requiring City approval), this has been researched and verified by Emporis and they're not changing it for the time being.

Just thought it was worth mentioning since Emporis takes a lot of heat on this board, some of it undeserved. If they are incorrect on this, which I still think they are, they'll have to change it early in the new year!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #331  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:01 AM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
would be nice if the change was because they went with the old fin dimensions in addition to the new floor. Would be a much nicer finish to the crown of the building.

I'm still not holding my breath however.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #332  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:42 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
would be nice if the change was because they went with the old fin dimensions in addition to the new floor. Would be a much nicer finish to the crown of the building.

I'm still not holding my breath however.
I think I vaguely remember hearing something about the city allowing extra height to the fins so that they would be proportionate with the rest of the building since adding the additional floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #333  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:38 PM
towerguy3 towerguy3 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,124
it's not high enough
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #334  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:20 PM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I think I vaguely remember hearing something about the city allowing extra height to the fins so that they would be proportionate with the rest of the building since adding the additional floor.
I know we talked about the concept when the additional floor was first approved, but I don't remember any hard evidence.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #335  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:58 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,768
Pic taken today (Nov 30):
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #336  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 12:05 AM
Hot Rod's Avatar
Hot Rod Hot Rod is offline
Big City Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle-Vancouver-Osaka-Chongqing-Chicago-OKC
Posts: 1,187
very nice pic!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #337  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 1:33 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
I know we talked about the concept when the additional floor was first approved, but I don't remember any hard evidence.
No, I think it was in the Vancouver Sun awhile back. Who knows. I guess it won't be that long until we see the finished product anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #338  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 1:37 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic taken today (Nov 30):
Awesome, it now dwarfs everything around it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #339  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 1:40 AM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
No, I think it was in the Vancouver Sun awhile back. Who knows. I guess it won't be that long until we see the finished product anyway.

When is the glasswork supposed to be finished anyways?
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #340  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 2:39 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is online now
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,747
Sorry, OD, but I had to straighten out the photo. It's the compulsive photo nerd in me. I hope you don't mind.


Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.