HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:00 AM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
They catch the smoke and collect the ash.
Indeed. They do this in many European cities and the ironic thing is that it actually improves the air quality more than if they had let the garbage sit in a landfill. As long as you put very strict regulations on it and invest in the right technology, incineration is actually environmentally sound.

I would be more concerned about where the cups come from in the first place. What resources are being reaped, how much, and what damage is that doing to the environment?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:31 AM
trist_p trist_p is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
What's the point of anything being biodegradable if it's just going to end up in a landfull? It's not like we are going to be looking to our landfills to supply us with fertilizer in 50 years. So what if a plastic cup or bag sits there forever, it's in a landfill, where it's supposed to be. Rocks don't biodegrade either.
Both arguments are complete cop outs.

Firstly, composting does exist. So incase anyone is confused, you still have to recycle the cups (in the sense that composting is a form of recycling). The fact that we currently do not have the option of doing so is a problem. Sure, we could always punish ourselves and deprive ourself of coffee, but who's going to do that? Considering that Tim Hortons already composts, and already has recycling bins in their coffee shops, the option of composing isn't a stretch.

Secondly, in reference to your "its not like we'll be looking to landfills to supply us with fertilizer in 50 years", think again. Check out http://www.terracycle.net/index.htm - this company already turns garbage into fertilizer. Look for Terracycle products at your local walmart or homedepot.

Lastly, are you arguing that rocks don't biodegrade, therefore, human produced waste is okay? Hopefully you're not so anthropocentric that you're against restoring the land back to its natural environment.

Am I alone on this one? Does anyone else think we should distinguish garbage from rocks?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:34 AM
Greco Roman Greco Roman is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by trist_p View Post
Both arguments are complete cop outs.

Firstly, composting does exist. So incase anyone is confused, you still have to recycle the cups (in the sense that composting is a form of recycling). The fact that we currently do not have the option of doing so is a problem. Sure, we could always punish ourselves and deprive ourself of coffee, but who's going to do that? Considering that Tim Hortons already composts, and already has recycling bins in their coffee shops, the option of composing isn't a stretch.

Secondly, in reference to your "its not like we'll be looking to landfills to supply us with fertilizer in 50 years", think again. Check out http://www.terracycle.net/index.htm - this company already turns garbage into fertilizer. Look for Terracycle products at your local walmart or homedepot.

Lastly, are you arguing that rocks don't biodegrade, therefore, human produced waste is okay? Hopefully you're not so anthropocentric that you're against restoring the land back to its natural environment.

Am I alone on this one? Does anyone else think we should distinguish garbage from rocks?

No, you are definately not alone on this. Although, on a forum geared towards manmade progress, I am not surprised to find a majority of "who gives a —" attitudes here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:39 AM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
^ I don't think that's true at all. In fact, many urbanists are also environmentalists, and vice versa. Compact, clean, safe communities and environmental protection go hand in hand IMHO. And after all, I don't want the pollution leaking into MY water supply.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:05 AM
trist_p trist_p is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I would be more concerned about where the cups come from in the first place. What resources are being reaped, how much, and what damage is that doing to the environment?
People keep making arguments like this. That there are better solutions. I'm not denying that there aren't other things we couldn't be doing that could help solve environmental problems. I could focus on deforestation. I could join greenpeace.

The argument that since there's something better I could be doing somehow justify's doing nothing is pathetic!

But this is the trajedy of the commons. In economics, you can think of it as an overfishing equilibrium. People will continue to fish until it is in their best interest to do so until it is too expensive to fish the last few from the sea, or until they really do just run out. The social equilibrium, is the amount fished whereby society benefits the most - when fish stocks can be maintained continuously at a high level. The problem is that this equilibrium requires regulation, because most individuals will act against the social interest if it in their self interest.

This can be extended to any common, air pollution, forests, land - it's the reason why suburbia exists! It's cheaper for developers to build out, than to build up. No developer has enough power to make a difference. Don't you see? Their argument is that if they don't develop, then somebody else will. And they're right! Someone else would profit. Thus, the tragedy of the commons- all the land is gobbled up creating environmental may-ham (and traffic nightmares). If builders didn't have fire-standards, would they implement them voluntarily? Probably not if nobody else did. But the guess what happens when your neighbor's house catches on fire? Seriously ask the third world squatter villages what happens- the whole slum goes up in smoke.

Nobody wants to stand alone and make a difference, because a. they won't be followed, and b. they would loose out themselves, and no, loneliness is not the tragedy, it is simply, perhaps the justification as to why we ought not to do something, along with the general inconviennce, and perhaps the sheer knowledge that is is unlikely that others will follow, or that we really cannot make a difference. This is probably why you wouldn't waste your time trying to investigate those problems, and is enitirely why I hate "Well, what I would do..." type arguments, because they are completely fraudulent. You might as well be saying "well, what I wouldn't do" because you're not doing anything! The statisical chances of you having not done something, if you've done nothing, is 100%. If you toss heads on a coin, and I asked you, what is the probability that you've got heads, 100% is the right answer. It's the same reason why when people tell me "Well, I could've done better on that test..." I think to myself, "no, you couldn't have done better". You could do better next time, but there's no future in what you have already done.

Jumping back to my original point, that nobody wants to make a difference (or at least not enough to actually do so), the only thing that keeps me going is that people obviously care about the issues. This is why I created a facebook group advocating Biodegradable coffee cups at Tim Hortons in the first place. Because joining a facebook group is just about the laziest way you could support a cause.

And I'm unhappy to report, that nobody on this forum even cares enough to do that. Please, reconsider.

http://uwo.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7578298645

P.S. if you actually did join based on this, I'm sorry for lumping you into a group of apathetic critics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:10 AM
ScottFromCalgary's Avatar
ScottFromCalgary ScottFromCalgary is offline
Calgreedian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by trist_p View Post

P.S. if you actually did join based on this, I'm sorry for lumping you into a group of apathetic critics.
Sorry I gapped out...which species of whales are we saving again???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:15 AM
trist_p trist_p is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Sorry I gapped out...which species of whales are we saving again???
The ignorant ones.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:33 AM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by trist_p View Post
The argument that since there's something better I could be doing somehow justify's doing nothing is pathetic!
I never said this...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is offline
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,998
trist_p, why are you here? Is it just to essentially advertise? All your posts have only been in this single thread. May I suggest you take your crusade elsewhere if that's all you're interested in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:00 PM
trist_p trist_p is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 34
I came here and raised the issue - land use in the form of waste management is a relevant. I proposed a solution, which people have hampered and criticized. I thought it'd be something that people here would be concerned with. I was wrong.

But you do make a clear point. People here just aren't interested, and that I should stop. So I will leave the issue to rest.

And by the way, this is my first post on set account, not ever, and, like many I suspect, just because I don't respond to forums doesn't mean I don't read them. It's because of this exact sort of nattering back and forth that I tend to avoid posting, in lieu of meaningful discussion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:23 PM
The Kid's Avatar
The Kid The Kid is offline
Kid Dynamic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by trist_p View Post
I came here and raised the issue - land use in the form of waste management is a relevant. I proposed a solution, which people have hampered and criticized. I thought it'd be something that people here would be concerned with. I was wrong.

But you do make a clear point. People here just aren't interested, and that I should stop. So I will leave the issue to rest.

And by the way, this is my first post on set account, not ever, and, like many I suspect, just because I don't respond to forums doesn't mean I don't read them. It's because of this exact sort of nattering back and forth that I tend to avoid posting, in lieu of meaningful discussion.
Thanks for coming out! Now back to the really important subjects like "Are Bells Frank and Gordon gay"...............
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:33 PM
PhilippeMtl's Avatar
PhilippeMtl PhilippeMtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rosemont-la-petite-patrie, Montreal
Posts: 2,170
Yesterday, I decided to try the chicken salad sandwich (it was my first time in a Tim Horton's for years) and it was disgusting, the chicken was too humid, the bread was a bad imitation of what I used to call bread. They put too much lettuce. The taste was fade. It is a shame to sell this bad thing and call it a sandwich!

Last edited by PhilippeMtl; Nov 30, 2007 at 3:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:54 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
In my experiences (one), Tim Horton's sandwiches are just bread with a couple things inside. Even Subway has better sandwiches than Tim's, and Subway —.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:26 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
How much carbon monoxide is produced daily by the thousands of idling vehicles as they slowly crawl through the thousands of Rim Whoreton's Drive-Thru's?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:29 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
How much carbon monoxide is produced daily by the thousands of idling vehicles as they slowly crawl through the thousands of Rim Whoreton's Drive-Thru's?
Isn't that the truth! Those lineups just seem to get longer and longer, usually cutting into the road that the Tim Hortons feeds off of!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:17 PM
Danny D's Avatar
Danny D Danny D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 116
It's not that bad here in Thunder Bay. It might be because we build 3 new ones a year though. In fact there is a new one just about finished across the street from my house...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:20 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
And six more are proposed!

It would be nice if they would chose empty lots instead of tearing down established local enterprises (Northwest Coffee company, the automotive shop on Arundel, the dental surgery on Cumberland, the Harveys, that place on Waterloo that had those old trains, the TV repair store on East Ave, etc.) to set up shop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:24 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
^How many Timmies are in Thunder Bay and who's got the most per capita in Canada? Regina seems pretty stupid with 10 and another three on the books to come, including, apparently, the biggest one ever.

Come on Timmies, fill, fill, fill those landfills.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:27 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Thunder Bay has 8 Tim Horton's, with one under construction and one on hold. We have 14 Robin's Donuts, including two facing each other in the food court in Victoriaville Mall.

Our biggest is in the old Harvey's on Memorial, it's about three times the size of a normal one and I think it has a double drive-through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:29 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
Oh, wait. Went to Timmies website. Did the store locator...St. John's...NL...within 10 miles...

35?!?

What have I done?!?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.