Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan ren
Ron, come on, that's a rather poor comparison. If we were going to revert to old names then neither Taipei nor Taihoku would be used. The historic name of the settlement is actually Mankah.
|
Well as I implied, splitting hairs on cartographic issues is a game for map collectors... which it seems we both are.
By the way, I lived two years in Wanhua, the current name
for old "Mankah" or "Banka" on the Tamsui River. But there I go again...
[/QUOTE] What's wrong with acknowledging the original French name given to the Point? Isn't the name St. Jean (Saint John) also from this period?[/QUOTE]
There is nothing wrong in giving a tip of the hat to ANY old topographic name. If the intent were for ethno-cultural political reasons or carelessly handled, in a proud city like Saint John, there might be some local opposition. If it's done by the marketing team of a condominium project, and assuming the development becomes wildly popular landmark, the new moniker might even be adopted as a place name by the city. Who knows?
I was just making a case for "🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Point", which is a name that does not offend me in any way. I was mildly suggesting that the name "🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Point" might resonate with some of the American tour passengers, they whom the planners in Saint John seem to covet.
In my ignorance perhaps, I thought the name "Bruyeres Head" must be a reference to a British artillery officer, and not an echo of the earlier French colonial period. I will have to look it up, verify, and get back to you. I ban't remember everything, alas.
Ron Jack in B.C.