HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 11:34 PM

Eloy to get at least a 12-story high-rise as part of an amusement park.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...rk1107-ON.html

Rock 'n' roll theme park proposed for Eloy
Ronald J. Hansen
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 7, 2007 01:24 PM

A Phoenix-based investment team said today it wants to build a 240-acre rock 'n' roll theme park in Pinal County intended to rival Orlando's Disney World complex and the Busch Gardens amusement parks across the country.

The $800 million project, which is proposed to include a luxury hotel and retail space, would be known as Decades Music Theme Park. One of the consultants for the project was a project manager of Disney's Epcot Center.

Key state lawmakers seem intrigued by the proposal, said Kevin DeMenna, a lobbyist who is pushing for legislation that would help provide bond funding for the park.

Jason Rose, another lobbyist working for the project, declined to identify the private investors who intend to help support Decades.

The park would be located in Eloy, with roller coasters and other rock-themed rides divided into sections associated with music through the decades, starting in the 1950s.

With the state's usual tourism base and with residents of Phoenix and Tucson nearby, Decades could attract at least 5.4 million visitors annually, according to Peter Alexander, the Epcot project manager and a consultant who worked on other parks, including Disneyland and the Six Flags chain.

Eloy is roughly 65 miles from downtown Phoenix and 60 miles from downtown Tucson.

"It's the only large metropolitan market . . . that doesn't have a theme park," Alexander said of the Phoenix area. "Obviously, it's the perception that it's too hot here."

But the heat index in the area averages 93 degrees in July compared with 92 in Orlando, Fla., home to Disney World, Alexander said. And Orlando was a small, sleepy town before the park opened there, he added.

Arizona's theme-park laws would have to be rewritten to allow Pinal County to establish a locally controlled district with bonding authority, DeMenna said.

If approved, it would allow the park's builders access to a $1 billion state fund for theme park construction, he said. Sales taxes that could reach 9 percent at the park would help repay the project's construction costs.

Martin West, the creative director of Decades, said he first envisioned a rock-themed amusement park more than a decade ago.

He and Alexander publicly discussed the proposed theme park a day after Mesa voters easily approved a land sale that helps clear the way for Waveyard, a water-sports resort planned for that city.

Next spring, Myrtle Beach, S.C., expects to open Hard Rock Park, a 140-acre, $400 million rock 'n' roll theme park after years of planning and construction.

Like the Decades plan, that park is divided into different sections based on genres of music. Decades is positioned as the West Coast counterbalance to that rock-themed park, which is owned by another investment group.

Decades' design plans include an 850-room luxury hotel on the park's grounds as well as at least 120,000 square feet of retail space.

West envisions an amphitheater similar to the former Compton Terrace in Phoenix and a 55,000-seat indoor concert hall.

Attractions could include an MTV logo in the center of the park intended to resemble the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and busts of rock legends reminiscent of Mount Rushmore.

Rose said licensing agreements with the various musical artists are among the details that need to be worked out if the state provides help with the legislation.

Check out the rendering.

--don

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 1:05 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I'll pass, the theme alone is corny as hell.

Maybe if they tried a different approach it would be something, but I just don't see it rivaling Disney World or Busch Gardens.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 2:19 AM

NEVAH happen.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 2:24 AM
Stay Thirsty.

I agree. What a waste of money and time. I see this kind of idea turn into one of those "world's biggest toilet" attractions in a decade or two. It simply won't have the same appeal as Disney and Universal and others, especially if they are putting it IN THE MIDDLE OF ARIZONA. Put it outside of Phoenix if you have any sense at all.

Or just not build it. There's an idea.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 2:38 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Because when I think Rock'n'Roll, I think Eloy. Absolutely horrid idea. I love theme parks (I once drove 16 straight hours just to visit Cedar Point), but this idea is doomed to fail.

First off, the developers chose a terrible location, I understand their thinking is to try to get both people from Phoenix and Tucson, but in all likelihood, they'll get neither. A location like this will mean a full day trip for anyone who wants to visit it, making it hard for locals to spend much money there.

Furthermore, the theme is obviously corny and doesn't fit the area at all. Most "theme" parks don't even have themes these days and they're better off for it. Cedar Point, Six Flags, Bush Gardens, Paramount Kings Island, et cetera don't all rely on one lame theme, they rely on quality coasters, and thats what people want. Disneyland is the only park that can get away with the 'terrible rides, lots of theming' approach, because of their cartoons and movies.

If you want a park to be successful in Arizona, the first thing you need is a better location. An ideal location would be on the Pima Indian Reservation in the NE Valley, there's lots of open land, but its still close to millions of people. This is a good location because its near the prime areas of fall-spring tourism, but its also near enough to the city for locals to use it in the summer. Since no one is traveling to a desert in the summer, its imperative to have enough local support during that time.

Secondly, forget some hokey theme, no one cares about that crap. The only theme that would even work here is Western/Cowboys or whatever, but that stopped being popular when we put a man on the moon. If you wanted to have lightly themed different sections of the park, that may work, but its rare that a park can survive with such a narrow theme (save maybe Holidayworld).

Thirdly, you'd need a park with a ton of water rides, shades and indoor attractions. A lot of theme parks have a neighboring water park, that wouldn't work here, you need them to be intertwined. Have lots of shaded arcades, maybe something like the Fremont St Experience in Vegas in part of the park would work well.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 3:11 AM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Because when I think Rock'n'Roll, I think Eloy. Absolutely horrid idea. I love theme parks (I once drove 16 straight hours just to visit Cedar Point), but this idea is doomed to fail.

First off, the developers chose a terrible location, I understand their thinking is to try to get both people from Phoenix and Tucson, but in all likelihood, they'll get neither. A location like this will mean a full day trip for anyone who wants to visit it, making it hard for locals to spend much money there.

Furthermore, the theme is obviously corny and doesn't fit the area at all. Most "theme" parks don't even have themes these days and they're better off for it. Cedar Point, Six Flags, Bush Gardens, Paramount Kings Island, et cetera don't all rely on one lame theme, they rely on quality coasters, and thats what people want. Disneyland is the only park that can get away with the 'terrible rides, lots of theming' approach, because of their cartoons and movies.

If you want a park to be successful in Arizona, the first thing you need is a better location. An ideal location would be on the Pima Indian Reservation in the NE Valley, there's lots of open land, but its still close to millions of people. This is a good location because its near the prime areas of fall-spring tourism, but its also near enough to the city for locals to use it in the summer. Since no one is traveling to a desert in the summer, its imperative to have enough local support during that time.

Secondly, forget some hokey theme, no one cares about that crap. The only theme that would even work here is Western/Cowboys or whatever, but that stopped being popular when we put a man on the moon. If you wanted to have lightly themed different sections of the park, that may work, but its rare that a park can survive with such a narrow theme (save maybe Holidayworld).

Thirdly, you'd need a park with a ton of water rides, shades and indoor attractions. A lot of theme parks have a neighboring water park, that wouldn't work here, you need them to be intertwined. Have lots of shaded arcades, maybe something like the Fremont St Experience in Vegas in part of the park would work well.
You make some good points. If they want to make this work , it should probably be closer to Phoenix and drop the corny theme. Good rides and shade other top notch amenities should be incorporated.

Speaking of water rides, Waveyard in Mesa was approved by the voters. It an interesting concept and its right here in Phoenix(metro). I think it stands a good chance of success. Its sure to be a unique experience. (yeah yeah...before anyone starts screaming about water usage, I doubt that it will exceed by much what Riverview Golf Course used.)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 5:36 AM

I think the location is actually the least weak of the "proposal" for one reason: cheap land. Factor in easy access to cheap labor (lots of cheap homes near Eloy) and at least it's... cheap. Everything else stinks though. Please Legislature, show some brains and don't give them any money...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 6:04 AM
Skyriser

www.decadesusa.com

BUILD IT!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 6:21 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

That drawing is hilarious. I love what middle aged white men come up with when trying to make something 'cool.' I wonder how they plan to get the rights to use all of those musical tie ins. A very, very weird concept indeed.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 7:05 AM
BANNED

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 7:21 AM

I thought that drawing was a joke at first. Then I clicked on the link and found to my horror that it is not a joke at all, but a serious proposal.

I don't know whether to be horrified or amused. Big cojones they have.

--don

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 12:16 PM
Todo para la familia

I think it's funny but I'll go to see what it's like. 240 acres is a pretty good size but a ROCK N ROLL Theme???? Jesus, and what's with the Mt. Rushmore of Rock?????? Seriously? If this does get built, I will check it out and if I regret it.....then so be it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:14 PM

Okay, let's think about the demographics. Visitors to theme parks -- you know, the frequent visitors who keep the money flowing -- are teenagers dropped of by parents or driving in with friends. Does this age group give a damn about Bob Dylan etc? Makes absolutely no sense.

Still, I think the location makes sense and I love the idea of having a theme park nearby (people in LA drive 60 miles all the time to Magic Mountain and much farther from NYC to Great Adventure).

If they don't start from scratch on the theme, though, this will never happen. Ever.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:20 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
I think it's funny but I'll go to see what it's like. 240 acres is a pretty good size but a ROCK N ROLL Theme???? Jesus, and what's with the Mt. Rushmore of Rock?????? Seriously? If this does get built, I will check it out and if I regret it.....then so be it.
I had the same shock with the Spice Girls movie "SpiceWorld." What a freakin joke! I've never walked out of a theatre before. I think I've learned my lesson, and would pass on the "Thunderstruck" coaster.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:48 PM

I've never seen anything so out of touch actually get announced. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???? "Beach Boys' Beach???" Pink Floyd's The Wall wall? M from MTV made to look like th' freakin' Arc d' Triomphe?? "Rock Around the Clock" FERRIS WHEEL???
Wow, this makes my head hurt. It would appear these investors are targeting Baby Boomers and their 3-year-old grandchildren with this terrible, awful, no good proposal.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:49 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
I had the same shock with the Spice Girls movie "SpiceWorld." What a freakin joke! I've never walked out of a theatre before. I think I've learned my lesson, and would pass on the "Thunderstruck" coaster.
Personally I would rather see them pursue that Six Flags deal that more or less fell through than see this theme park.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest