HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3381  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:18 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Can someone think up a list of the all the projects in and around downtown Regina? Including Under-Construction, proposed, rumoured, etc..

I'm going to draw them all onto a nice map, but I know I'm forgetting some. Here's what I can think of off the top of my head..

U/C or soon to begin construction
- STC
- Wingate
- Victoria Place
- Old Superstore land
- IPSCO Place expansion
- Leader Building

Proposed
- Mosaic Stadium Expansion
- Qu'appelle Diocese towers
- new 10-15 story office tower for Saskpower
- "New Development" on old Coronet site

I feel like I'm missing a lot. What needs to be added?
- Broad Street Corssing (Tim Hortons and Canadian FOod Inspection Agency) On that thought, they added a sign to the side of the building that says "Tim Hortons COming Soon...."

- Maple Leaf Estate (near the General Hospital)

- Tourism Regina (moving downtown, not sure where yet)

- Legion building (perhaps?) same group as the Leader building, turn the Legion into a performance venue, with a new home for the Regina Plains Museum.

- Cornwall Professional Building (renewal of the whole building, currently there is a vacant retail space on the main floor, you can see work being done inside.)

- Donahue building (no idea whats going on inside,, perhaps an expansion of the Adult Campus, but some of the windows have PCL construction signs in them)

- COnstruction ongoing in the retail space in the Greenfell (sp?) tower. There was a former Subway restaurant...not sure what is planned.

- New federal government parkade on Rose next to the Alvin Hamilton (sp?) federal government building.

- Glass studio building expansion at Hamilton and...14th?

Rumours
- New office tower??

- Casino hotel in the Post Office? Probably not, but its been mentioned.

- Several projects apparently will be announced within the next 6th months according to the Mayor as said on the Wolf radio station.

- Perhaps something to do with the Travellers building? It was mentioned on here that the adjacent lot was sold, as well the Fun House has taken down its sign and cleared the merchandise after how many years? Perhaps, but who knows.

- Not a rumour, but probably me just making something up, but I've noticed several times people in one of the Westland properties on Hamilton, the for lease sign is still up...so I'm not sure.

Plans
- Downtown Master Plan

- Core Renewal Plan

New Stores..

- Metro Pet Market, next to SaskEnergy

- What has the Cornwall added? Dollorama....uhh I forget what else...

- New Mexican restaurant on Scarth

I know there's more, I just can't remember....this probably isn't that important.

Perhaps that's all for now...if anything else comes to me I'll let you know.
     
     
  #3382  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktonite View Post
I'm sure out of the loop but when was there a proposal for a new 10-15 story office tower for SaskPower or the Mosaic Stadium expansion? Any links to the proposals?
It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago that SaskPower would buy the old STC building and build a new 7-10 story building. Wonder if the election will have any influence on this?

Here's the link.
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/n...?id=66b9d68a-aa5d-4a17-8b5b-19382f1fc5b6

As for Mosiac, Hopson said the other day they were looking at expanding.
     
     
  #3383  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:28 PM
yorktonite yorktonite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago that SaskPower would buy the old STC building and build a new 7-10 story building. Wonder if the election will have any influence on this?

Here's the link.
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/n...?id=66b9d68a-aa5d-4a17-8b5b-19382f1fc5b6

As for Mosiac, Hopson said the other day they were looking at expanding.
Thanks. I hope the election doesn't influence their current plan in any bad way.
     
     
  #3384  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 5:14 AM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 986
CCF, as for new stores in the Cornwall Centre;

-2 The Nines
-Dollarama
-Feet First
-Booster Juice
-Stitches
-the renovated Second Cup (which id really nice for those of you who havent seen iy yet)
-And we can't forget the sesonal HOHOHO store.

Thats all i can think of for now.
     
     
  #3385  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:39 AM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
- Broad Street Corssing (Tim Hortons and Canadian FOod Inspection Agency) On that thought, they added a sign to the side of the building that says "Tim Hortons COming Soon...."

- Maple Leaf Estate (near the General Hospital)

- Tourism Regina (moving downtown, not sure where yet)

- Legion building (perhaps?) same group as the Leader building, turn the Legion into a performance venue, with a new home for the Regina Plains Museum.

- Cornwall Professional Building (renewal of the whole building, currently there is a vacant retail space on the main floor, you can see work being done inside.)

- Donahue building (no idea whats going on inside,, perhaps an expansion of the Adult Campus, but some of the windows have PCL construction signs in them)

- COnstruction ongoing in the retail space in the Greenfell (sp?) tower. There was a former Subway restaurant...not sure what is planned.

- New federal government parkade on Rose next to the Alvin Hamilton (sp?) federal government building.

- Glass studio building expansion at Hamilton and...14th?

Rumours
- New office tower??

- Casino hotel in the Post Office? Probably not, but its been mentioned.

- Several projects apparently will be announced within the next 6th months according to the Mayor as said on the Wolf radio station.

- Perhaps something to do with the Travellers building? It was mentioned on here that the adjacent lot was sold, as well the Fun House has taken down its sign and cleared the merchandise after how many years? Perhaps, but who knows.

- Not a rumour, but probably me just making something up, but I've noticed several times people in one of the Westland properties on Hamilton, the for lease sign is still up...so I'm not sure.

Plans
- Downtown Master Plan

- Core Renewal Plan

New Stores..

- Metro Pet Market, next to SaskEnergy

- What has the Cornwall added? Dollorama....uhh I forget what else...

- New Mexican restaurant on Scarth

I know there's more, I just can't remember....this probably isn't that important.

Perhaps that's all for now...if anything else comes to me I'll let you know.
Some others not mentioned

-the new Apt/Condo development across from the TC Douglass/WRC on 23rd Ave.

-new condo on the corner of Elphinstone/Montague and Regina Ave (Can't remember the name of it)

-Large Apt Building behind the Tim Hortons on South Albert

-Some kind of construction south of the Regina Ave 'loop' out at the airport

-New Coop GasBar and strip mall on the site of the old Capitol Ford at Albert St and Avonhurst Dr.
     
     
  #3386  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:37 PM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
CCF, as for new stores in the Cornwall Centre;

-2 The Nines
-Dollarama
-Feet First
-Booster Juice
-Stitches
-the renovated Second Cup (which id really nice for those of you who havent seen iy yet)
-And we can't forget the sesonal HOHOHO store.

Thats all i can think of for now.
Shopper's is moving into a bigger location, if that counts? There was some other store that was hiring for the end of August but never materialized. Not sure what happened there. I think you've got 'em all, though!
     
     
  #3387  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:53 PM
babo's Avatar
babo babo is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I don't like elevators.
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs
-Large Apt Building behind the Tim Hortons on South Albert
And that building is, for sure, apartments? If so, awfully hotelish looking apartments. And ugly. At least it's set a good distance from Albert Street, away from decent folk.
     
     
  #3388  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Ugly?

It doesn't even have any siding yet! Lets reserve judgement until it's more than 25% finished.
     
     
  #3389  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:50 PM
cutterp's Avatar
cutterp cutterp is offline
#1 King Champ
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 261
The Donahue Building is indeed having the third floor upgraded for our Adult Campus school.
     
     
  #3390  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:58 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Welcome to the forum.
     
     
  #3391  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:03 AM
cutterp's Avatar
cutterp cutterp is offline
#1 King Champ
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 261
Thanks I've read this entire thread over the last two days. Very interesting and am looking forward to contributing some interesting content.
     
     
  #3392  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:12 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
I hope you have more inside sources than the rest of us!
     
     
  #3393  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:39 AM
yorktonite yorktonite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 189
Does anyone know what's going up behind the Sobeys/strip mall in the east end? It's a bigger than normal 3 story building. I see it from a distance daily but I didn't get a chance to get up close to view any possible information.
     
     
  #3394  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 1:08 AM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 986
im only guessing, and i think it would have to be an apartment building/condos. Because that entire area behind sobeys in the east end is zoned residential. Agian im only guessing.
     
     
  #3395  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 1:09 AM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktonite View Post
Does anyone know what's going up behind the Sobeys/strip mall in the east end? It's a bigger than normal 3 story building. I see it from a distance daily but I didn't get a chance to get up close to view any possible information.
I've seen it fairly close up and I still can't figure out what it is! The only thing that really makes much sense is condos...but it still doesn't look quite right.
     
     
  #3396  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:40 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what's above Colin O'Brians? I love that building, and I'm just curious as to what the other floors are used for.
     
     
  #3397  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:18 AM
DowntownRiderFan DowntownRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what's above Colin O'Brians? I love that building, and I'm just curious as to what the other floors are used for.
I think that at least the top floor is residential... I seem to recall this past spring there was a condo unit for sale in that building.
     
     
  #3398  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:21 PM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 986
There is a yoga studio up there, isnt there?
     
     
  #3399  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:26 PM
cutterp's Avatar
cutterp cutterp is offline
#1 King Champ
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 261
There have been some more rumors floating around about a possible expansion on Mosaic Stadium. Looking at expanding capacity to 40,000.

The rumor was confirmed in a Newstalk 980 radio interview (Oct 29, 2007) when Rider CEO, Jim Hopson, mentioned the possible expansion.

This would be great! More seats means a better chance for me to get playoff tickets next year when we host ANOTHER playoff game. GO RIDERS!!!
     
     
  #3400  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:36 PM
cutterp's Avatar
cutterp cutterp is offline
#1 King Champ
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 261
Oh and they are building a Chili's restaurant on Vic East beside McDonalds.

Also the city is doing major repairs to the former Sk Learning building on 4th Ave. They just finished repointing the bricks on the west side of the building and are working on the front facade.

Last time I was in the building some of the pillars supporting the roof were detached from the floor and I honestly thought the place should be imploded. Guess it's cheaper to rebuild it than knock it down.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.