HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2181  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 10:32 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
Nice pics of progress!....5 more days, and its SHOWTIME!
My mom and her cousin both actually want to see "The Eagles" play on one of the days of their concert in NOKIA.
The prices start at only $85 per seat!

BTW, why is everyone ignoring my question about the Zoning Changes?
I have a question, and I need it answered.
So would anybody be so kind as to fill me in on the details?
     
     
  #2182  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
...BTW, why is everyone ignoring my question about the Zoning Changes?
I have a question, and I need it answered.
So would anybody be so kind as to fill me in on the details?
Okay here's my answer:
I don't know.
I hope that helps.
     
     
  #2183  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 10:56 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
^ ^ ^
LOL, thanks for trying though.
     
     
  #2184  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 12:42 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
That interior is still a bit disappointing. It has a generic office feel to it. I like to be wowed when I enter a lobby of a performance theater like when you step into Radio City's opulent design. I am a fan of that lighting however. So have we confirmed those 6 towers won't be LED but rather screen projections?

I don't know if you've ever personally been inside Radio Music Hall, but I've seen pics of its lobby & it is quite elaborate. However, in regards to the interior of that theater & what til now has been LA's largest traditional auditorium, the Shrine, I think the latter has served major events in the city quite well for a long time. And, as you say, by comparsion, the interiors of Nokia, probably cuz of cost factors, are plain & generic. But that just means a historic bldg like the Shrine will continue to have its own special niche.

And so Nokia will be good for certain things, while the Shrine will be good for other things.

As for the light towers, I'm getting antsy right now cuz I thought the bare bones look of them was temporary, & that some sort of circular cover was going to be installed on them, or closer to what drawings have indicated. But with the light screens already attached to them, & what looks like a finished white paint job on the tower's tinker toy or ladder design, I'm starting to think the tower's bare bones, deconstructionist look is the final product.

BTW, thanks for the pics, LA311. They're the next best thing to actually being there, & are the first set of up close shots of the theater.
     
     
  #2185  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 1:13 AM
ksep's Avatar
ksep ksep is offline
übersupermegascraper
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: los angeles
Posts: 321
^ i kinda like the light towers being bare bones like that. much better than having a cheap plastic banner wrapped around them. i'm ecstatic over the led wrap at the nokia entrance and the upcoming one for staples - didn't know about that either - nice touch.
     
     
  #2186  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:52 AM
JRinSoCal's Avatar
JRinSoCal JRinSoCal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Yo momma's house
Posts: 542
So those ARE LED screens wrapping around the Nokia Theatre? Can someone confirm this?
     
     
  #2187  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:03 AM
edluva edluva is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,118
"I'm here!" says the Nokia Plaza

those white lighting towers look like partially deconstructed scaffolding with giant pioneer speakers 🞵🞵🞵? Why am I not surprised about the pomo 80's office interior meets korean nightclub look? Looks like they got all their furnishings directly from a local Staples. Very appropriate. Where's the imitation-leather manager's chair with matching deskmat?
     
     
  #2188  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:28 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
That interior is still a bit disappointing. It has a generic office feel to it. I like to be wowed when I enter a lobby of a performance theater like when you step into Radio City's opulent design. I am a fan of that lighting however. So have we confirmed those 6 towers won't be LED but rather screen projections?
I haven't been inside, but it's definitely unusual and maybe impressive looking in from the outside. You know how they say that the outside of the theater can change colors depending on the lights that they use? Well, it's the same for the interior. I was there tonight I watched the interior lights go from green to yellow to blue to red, etc. And the changes are NOT subtle. My pics don't really do it justice. Let's just say that it looks much better in person.

     
     
  #2189  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:37 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
And my overall impression from what I saw is that Nokia and LA Live are gonna have lights EVERYWHERE. On a scale that we have NEVER seen before in LA. If it all turns out to be a failure it WON'T be because no one knew it was there.

I was never a fan of the hyperbole, but after LA Live, LA Central, and the rest of the surrounding projects are completed the comparison with Times Square may turn out to make more sense than I at first thought.
     
     
  #2190  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:49 AM
edluva edluva is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,118
a comparison with Yonge-Dundas would be more fitting
     
     
  #2191  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 7:11 AM
ocman ocman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Burlingame
Posts: 2,712
I knew they were going cheap, but wow. They must have used the same interior designer that they've used for their Regal Cinemas.
     
     
  #2192  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 7:28 AM
edluva edluva is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,118
I've seen some better Regals Cinemas. But of course I'm just being a pessimistic 🞵🞵🞵. When I saw the renderings for the first time, I was just being an 🞵🞵🞵 then as well - I mean who would have guessed this project would have turned out so great, like a complete 180 from those initial renderings! This project might as well be in London or Paris. Cutting-edge design for a cutting-edge populace! I am so there when Debbie Gibson books a concert!

Listen up world, downtown los angeles has finally arrived
     
     
  #2193  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 7:42 AM
k3d's Avatar
k3d k3d is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
I've seen some better Regals Cinemas. But of course I'm just being a pessimistic 🞵🞵🞵. When I saw the renderings for the first time, I was just being an 🞵🞵🞵 then as well - I mean who would have guessed this project would have turned out so great, like a complete 180 from those initial renderings! This project might as well be in London or Paris. Cutting-edge design for a cutting-edge populace! I am so there when Debbie Gibson books a concert!

Listen up world, downtown los angeles has finally arrived
When I'm there, I'll feel so much better knowing that you won't. Also, we're not making DTLA for you anyway.
     
     
  #2194  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 7:59 AM
edluva edluva is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,118
OUCH!

But why won't I be there? I just said I'm so there when Debbie Gibson books. And from the look of things, it's just a matter of time.

Also, you made DTLA? That's some heavy stuff. Which building was your favorite to build? And if not for me who did you make it for anyway? midwestern conventioneers from 1991? Well, whatever, it looks great. The only extra thing I'd add is maybe a laser-show on the theater wall facing the plaza, and maybe some confection booths under the lighting towers. Oh, and a double-decker trolley like the one at the grove.


p.s. a sincere thanks for the pics LA311. no sarcasm intended.

Last edited by edluva; Oct 14, 2007 at 8:13 AM.
     
     
  #2195  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 8:30 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3d View Post
When I'm there, I'll feel so much better knowing that you won't. Also, we're not making DTLA for you anyway.
When you're there, you might want to take pictures as well.
     
     
  #2196  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 8:55 AM
k3d's Avatar
k3d k3d is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
OUCH!

But why won't I be there? I just said I'm so there when Debbie Gibson books. And from the look of things, it's just a matter of time.

Also, you made DTLA? That's some heavy stuff. Which building was your favorite to build? And if not for me who did you make it for anyway? midwestern conventioneers from 1991? Well, whatever, it looks great. The only extra thing I'd add is maybe a laser-show on the theater wall facing the plaza, and maybe some confection booths under the lighting towers. Oh, and a double-decker trolley like the one at the grove.


p.s. a sincere thanks for the pics LA311. no sarcasm intended.
Uh yes, I am making DTLA. In the first place you don't know what I do. Also, 12K property tax and likely many more K in spending in the DT area per year makes me "making" DTLA. And AEG is involved with bringing trolly cars to DTLA. And yes, I do like lasers. I don't like debbie gibson but I don't go to the debbie gibson forum and make sarcastic remarks just because of it. If you don't like something about designs, etc, just describe your objection and others will describe there appreciation. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean we all have to suffer your negative sarcasm.
     
     
  #2197  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 8:57 AM
jlrobe jlrobe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
I've seen some better Regals Cinemas. But of course I'm just being a pessimistic 🞵🞵🞵. When I saw the renderings for the first time, I was just being an 🞵🞵🞵 then as well - I mean who would have guessed this project would have turned out so great, like a complete 180 from those initial renderings! This project might as well be in London or Paris. Cutting-edge design for a cutting-edge populace! I am so there when Debbie Gibson books a concert!

Listen up world, downtown los angeles has finally arrived
Downtown doesnt need to be ornate or historic like london or paris. It just has to have a thriving city center. Carpets are nice, but they dont mean a thing. If the acoustics of our theatres are great and people flock downtown in droves and actually stay downtown after the show, the mission will be accomplished. AEG seems to have included tons of workable space and have rigged the whole area with state of the art electronic gear. LA live will be fine. Technology, sapce, programming, and Economics are the big things in 2000, not italian renassaince architecture.

I dont care if the regal movie theatre has ugly carpet either. If it has the technology and programming equal to the landmark in West LA, it will do fine!

AEG is putting all its money in superior technology and functionality, not aestetics. They arent skimping on the lighting, the plaza, or the greening of the area, just the lobby of the theatre. I think given a fixed amount of resources, they are making fairly good decisions.

What is most important is if the Hotel and restaurants have great decor. We will have to wait and see how they turn out before judging LA live.
     
     
  #2198  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 9:03 AM
k3d's Avatar
k3d k3d is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
When you're there, you might want to take pictures as well.
Yes, I will. It seems we are up to date for a while thanks to LA311
     
     
  #2199  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 9:20 AM
Echo Park Echo Park is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: cardboard box on skid row
Posts: 1,745
And then we wonder why L.A. has no sense of place while new construction goes up with disregard to public aesthetic. edluva is quite on the money about Nokia Theater and all this blind optimism and apologist excuses will enable developers to continue building clueless designs. I wouldn't care if I weren't so offended by Los Angeles continuing to call it self a world class city.
     
     
  #2200  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 9:22 AM
bjornson's Avatar
bjornson bjornson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Posts: 622
Hahah and to continue on with edluva's criticism, it almost resembles the Metropolis project in Dundas Square. Almost.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.