HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2481  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 1:46 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Seriously could there be any more positive things going on in Salt Lake City and in Utah right now?

The steady economy and continuous job growth along with a continued increase in property values(avoiding the pop of the real estate bubble). I'm so excited to finish my degree and get back to Salt Lake City and be a formidable part of what is going on.

I didn't know a whole lot about Becker before the primary but I am glad that my local counterparts voted for him. As a fellow planner he has my full support as our next Mayor.
     
     
  #2482  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 2:47 PM
Utaaah!'s Avatar
Utaaah! Utaaah! is offline
Expatriate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
while the design is nicer than usual, it is my opinion that the garages, in some of the renderings, are too prominent. Also, some of the "cottages" do not interact well with the street. Notice where most of the walkways lead: to the driveway, not the sidewalk. Though it may not be obvious, this design reinforces, in our subconscious, this idea that the automobile is higher on the "food chain," if you will, than the pedestrian.

Also, welcome to the 100th page
I agree. What's up with this one? (see below) Why doesn't the approach run from the sidewalk to the front door -- it would save a load of concrete. The owners will likely enter the home from directly from the garage, so what's the purpose of running a narrow strip of concrete from the driveway to the front door?

     
     
  #2483  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 6:41 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Seriously could there be any more positive things going on in Salt Lake City and in Utah right now?

I didn't know a whole lot about Becker before the primary but I am glad that my local counterparts voted for him. As a fellow planner he has my full support as our next Mayor.

Quote, Ralph Becker:
Upon taking office, I will immediately pursue the following: 1) the creation of a downtown cultural district, in coordination with Salt Lake County, which would include preservation of the Utah Theater and development of a Performing Arts Center;

One of many priorities I like about Mr. Becker
     
     
  #2484  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 7:15 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utaaah! View Post
I agree. What's up with this one? (see below) Why doesn't the approach run from the sidewalk to the front door -- it would save a load of concrete. The owners will likely enter the home from directly from the garage, so what's the purpose of running a narrow strip of concrete from the driveway to the front door?

I wouldn't put too much stock in what you see in the renderings.
Chances are the architect sent his plans to a professional renderer and he just put in exterior hardscape and landscape as he saw fit to make the rendering look nice. That has been my experience at least. Usually renderings, especially residential ones aren't always 100% as far as exterior improvements are concerned.
     
     
  #2485  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:37 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
- Implement elements of Downtown Rising and the Downtown Transportation Plan. I will prioritize action steps to implement the Downtown Rising plan and the Downtown Transportation Plan (which is currently in draft form). Upon taking office, I will immediately pursue the following: 1) the creation of a downtown cultural district, in coordination with Salt Lake County, which would include preservation of the Utah Theater and development of a Performing Arts Center; 2) the creation of a year-round Public Market; 3) working with the state of Utah for a Global Exchange Place; 4) the creation of a Downtown Parking Authority; 5) the initiation of a downtown transit circulator system; 6) capitalizing on the completion of commuter rail from the north and our Intermodal Hub Central Station with bike lockers, bike rental facilities and a safe bikeway system downtown; and 7) developing, in conjunction with the University of Utah, an extension of the campus to our downtown and along the transit lines of University Boulevard (also known as 400 South) with research, classroom and housing facilities in a manner that is compatible with existing neighborhoods.


Becker has got his head on straight. I would love to see all of those ^ things happen.
     
     
  #2486  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:57 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
^^^
Also like very much the pronounced emphasis of a serious bicycle culture, and 400 south as a natural extension of the University of Utah. I too would like to see all of his targets implemented.
     
     
  #2487  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:14 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,281
I worry about snowpack in the Oquirrh's.. I'm excited to see the plans though!
     
     
  #2488  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:03 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Procter & 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Update - Washington, California, and Missouri identified as three other states in the race

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695217602,00.html

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_7142935


Procter & 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Company


..

Last edited by delts145; Oct 11, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
     
     
  #2489  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:02 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I had talked early today on the CCC thread about the need for council to amend the current sign ordinance, to allow awnings and blade signs. I mentioned that there is a newly redeveloped street here where I'm at that has become one of the nodes of entertainment and life in the city. Until a few years ago this street was for the most part completely empty. The developer has created this nice entertainment and residential hot spot. All the buildings have about three levels of loft apartments and condos above the restaurants.

The awnings and blade signs really give it a great feel and a welcoming atmosphere.

The street actually closes to traffic in the summer to allow for more outdoor dining, and is one way traffic during the winter.


This is taken from the other end of the street. I love the bowling alley concept. It's a very chic' high end martini bar/sports bar type of a feel, it's a restaurant and a bowling alley. Very nice, always packed.
Looking at Future Mayor's post and entertaining hopes of what the future might hold for our newly revived mid-block thoroughfares at CCC.

This is the old Commercial Street,mid-block between Main and State and 100 and 200 South. Wow, even in black and white, the beauty of these buildings gives me chills. We all are pressing for beautiful skyscapers. Let's also push for the revival of these architectural gems to our downtown. Can you imagine some of these around Gateway, with maybe a couple more floors vs. some of those recent offerings. I say give us options like these to live and work in. Do developers not realize that there are many people out there who would want to live, work,and set up shop in these type's of structures? This kind of beauty would definately attract Class A tenants.



     
     
  #2490  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 6:21 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I think that Salt Lake can become a living breathing city. I think that the key will be to disect the city some, to bring back once existing mid block streets (as they are attempting to do in CCC, Richards, Regent/commercial, and social hall. The rebirth or creation of these mid block streets will create a more walkable city. These streets will be more intimate and inviting.

We truly have lost some great old buildings in our city. It seems that other cities grew out and left the old behind, and now the old is being brought back(such as my example). It seems as if SLC has simply redeveloped the same parts of the city over time, case in point; the old was taken down for the new, (Crossroads, ZCMI cntr) and yet again the old is being taken down for the new (CCC). I think the fact that this has happened is simply because of the LDS church headquarters. I'm not blaming the LDS church for the city not having these old buildings I'm just stating an opinion as to why we don't have that stock of old buildings that some cities do. The church is concerned about having a vibrant city especially on the immediate blocks to Temple Square. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that the malls coming down is a bad idea either.

I plan on being a developer/planner I truly intend to focus on recreating some great neighborhoods and streets within the city. I would love to recreate the old Deseret News Building that has been posted previously on here, sand stone exterior and all. Yes we have lost many buildings but I think that responsible architects and developers can rebuild many of the buildings we have lost. Yes it will be obvious that they are new, but I think the architecture is what is important, plus in another 25 years + people won't remember when that great looking old building was built. I think this can be accomplish with infill project and re use project. I think a great example is the Brooks Arcade building, Alphagraphics on State and 300 S.

While I like new buildings and modern amenities, they can in no way continue to be built at the cost of older buildings that have historical value from different periods. I think planners, city officials, and developers need to have a vision of what the future generation will want. I understand why many old buildings came down, they were old at the time but were not classic. I guess it could come down to our discussion about the PSB, I don't have any desire for it to stay, but in 20 years it may be posted on here as "look at what was lost in the early part of the century" just as we say about the buildings in the above post.

I've rambled enough.

Save the Shubrick, Save the Utah/Pantages!
     
     
  #2491  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:56 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
^ I feel the same about the development and constant redevelopment of the blocks. We should build on all the open land spaces we have with sustainable development. Then worry about tearing down buildings when it is a necessary action. I too am excited for CCC like the next, but I hope that what we get is nothing like the last renderings we saw.

We need ALOT more mid block streets. Here is an example of one I would love to see built because it would really connect 1st ave and it's urban residences better with the rest of downtown. I live on 1st Ave in the Brigham apartments so I am always walking down that hill to state street but when walking to traxx I have to walk down to south temple then cross the street to the south side, then to the west side. ... I know this is something that will never happen because what's done is a done deal but I always thought that it would have made more sense to have a light at 1st ave and state street(no median) where the entrance to the COB plaza is and make that a road that goes straight until the old Church administration building, then it curves south at that point between the old church administration building and the JSM building to meet at south temple where there is already a mid bloock light. then could make it a one way only (only option to go west) or something because I believe that there is going to be an entrance for CCC Parking in the middle or the south side of south temple. ... I realizee this will never happen because the church is pretty dead set on their fortress complex, but even if it was just a mid block light for pedestrians on 1st Ave and State street it would be helpful.

I also think that pierpont ave on 400 west should be extended to the pierpont ave on 200 west (there is an empty lot between them I believe) with lights that instersect the bigger roads. ... there are many more I think should happen, but I've made this post long enough.
     
     
  #2492  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
You make some good points. You would have a hard time connecting Pierpont though. If my memory serves me correctly Pierpont runs directly into the front doors of Red Rock or close to that spot. I would hate to see an establishment that was somewhat ahead of the revitalization of downtown be taken out just to connect pierpont, plus on the other side of the block you have the Greek Orthodox Church that I don't think would be willing to give up the parking lot space, which is used for the Greek Festival in the fall as well as in the plans for the churches future expansion.

Bad news on the fight to save Port O' Call/Shubrick, I got a response today that I sent to the planning department, I received a reply from a person in the office of City Council.

Here it is
I want to apologize for not responding to your request in a timely manner. We received a response to your inquiry from the Planning Division. The project is being overseen by the GSA (General Services Administration) out of Denver. According to the Planning Division, the Shubrick Hotel (Port O 'Call) was not originally part of the proposal, however the owners wished to sell and were successful in getting the plan changed to require GSA to buy and demolish the hotel. The Odd Fellows building is being moved across the (Market) street. The project is tentatively scheduled to begin this month (October). If you would like additional information, you can contact Al Camp, General Services Administration, 303-236-8000 x 2244.

Thank you for your inquiry. I hope this information is helpful. Sylvia Richards


     
     
  #2493  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 12:18 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,281
I saw the plans for the Market Station Development in South Salt Lake today. It's pretty impressive. 8 or so mid rise residential towers and 1 high rise residential tower.
     
     
  #2494  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 1:43 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I saw the plans for the Market Station Development in South Salt Lake today. It's pretty impressive. 8 or so mid rise residential towers and 1 high rise residential tower.


Sounds cool. Is there a website or a link where we can view these plans?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2495  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 3:55 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,281
Haven't found anything online.. I just saw the plans today at work. Looks like the mid rises will be 6-8 stories and the high rise looked to be 15 stories..
     
     
  #2496  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 4:21 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900

Found this last weekend...It contains a small section of the Makret Station development.
http://www.standardarchitects.com/pdf/0622MSP1.pdf

http://www.westmillennium.com/featured_projects/market_station/index.php
     
     
  #2497  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:02 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
You make some good points. You would have a hard time connecting Pierpont though. If my memory serves me correctly Pierpont runs directly into the front doors of Red Rock or close to that spot. I would hate to see an establishment that was somewhat ahead of the revitalization of downtown be taken out just to connect pierpont, plus on the other side of the block you have the Greek Orthodox Church that I don't think would be willing to give up the parking lot space, which is used for the Greek Festival in the fall as well as in the plans for the churches future expansion.

Yeah I wouldn't want to lose red rock either, I will be over in that area on Saturday and will check it out. As far as the Greek Orthodox Cathedral goes. Like you said it is just their parking lot. Hopefully in the future (like with Becker's parking authority) we could see city owned parking garages so we can free up some of the land that is just used as surface parking.

... I like your idea for the Deseret Building. I can't wait to see the designs for this development you're creating.
     
     
  #2498  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Metro-Park City - Real Estate Development Fortune in the Making.
Medical devices billionaire James LeVoy Sorenson is using his riches to develop a massive real-estate venture

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_7154312?source=rv

In sheer size the development can only be called massive, set to eclipse even huge developments such as Daybreak...


Developer James Sorenson gives a tour of the massive development near Jordanelle Reservoir that is under construction. The complex, to be called Jordanelle Ridge, is geared toward well-to-do buyers. (Scott Sommerdorf/The Salt Lake Tribune ) (Scott Sommerdorf/The Salt Lake Tribune )


Jim Sorenson pauses to refer to a map of Jordanelle Ridge during a drive through, pointing out some of the features. Among other things, there will be a golf course along the upper ridges. (Scott Sommerdorf/The Salt Lake Tribune )

     
     
  #2499  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 3:15 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120

Why doesn't he invest in downtown? This is just more sprawl on agricultural land or open space. If any of you on this forum become billionaires, and want to invest it in a similar way, please invest it in our existing communities with infill and restoration projects, not on sprawled developments on the outskirts town. These just eat up the possibility of a green belt, which would help our air quality, therefore, improving our quality of life.
     
     
  #2500  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 3:56 PM
SLCforme SLCforme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 403
did I read that right futur mayor, that the move of the oddfellows building should begin this month? that would be cool to watch it come down and be reassembled right across the street. it is going directly across the street isn't it? I'm sorry to hear about the shubrick. Did I read that part correct too? that it wasn't initially planned to be part of the project but that the owner petitioned to have it included? if that really is the case then we can't get mad at the federal court for demolishing it, we have to get mad at the owner of the building.

Another question. Is the existing courthouse going to remain after the completion of the new building? I read that the new one will be built next to the existing one but hadn't heard about whether thier keeping the old one. anyone know?

Hey urbanboy. If I'm ever a millionaire I'll invest downtown and help to increase density and not sprawl, you have my word.. If fact I really think I would donate money to puplic projects. things such as a new performing arts complex/broadway style theater. then it could be named
"The SLCforme Theater"
__________________
"Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
George Orwell, "1984"
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:04 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.