HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2441  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
VALLEY IN MIDST OF OFFICE SPACE EXPLOSION !!



.

"Another wrinkle: Much of the development and growth is concentrated in the southern part of the valley in cities such as Draper, Sandy, West and South Jordan, with over 500,000 square feet of office space to be completed by year's end."

I wish more Office Space could get built in downtown Salt Lake. There's alot of 5-story buildings getting built right now in Sandy and South Jordan. Just think that could be been a 30+ story building right there if built downtown.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2442  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:34 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post


I wish more Office Space could get built in downtown Salt Lake. There's alot of 5-story buildings getting built right now in Sandy and South Jordan. Just think that could be been a 30+ story building right there if built downtown.
Your wish is very close to becoming a reality Projects. As the tremendous growth in Wasatch Front Mass-Transit comes on line, it becomes more attractive for commuters to the north and south in places such as Utah Valley and Davis/Weber Valley's to commute into downtown. I have seen the downtown of Los Angeles undergo a huge transformation in the past fifteen years, since the completions of its many mass-transit lines. This will also happen for the Metro Wasatch, and the hub of Downtown Salt Lake. Developer's such as Wasatch, Hamilton, The LDS Church,Boyer,etc. know this, and the current construction boom downtown will only accelerate and begin to translate into more towers.
     
     
  #2443  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:46 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


I agree with you delts that DT Salt Lake City is truly on the verge of major growth. While Mass Transit projects often times encourage sprawl, (giving people access to work from farther away), yet can lessen the increase in traffic it also encourages dense growth in the urban core. Mass transit works in both directions as well, people can live in an urban setting yet still attend events in the burbs without the need to drive. While I would have liked to see Real Stadium downtown, the location of the stadium is in a good location. People that live downtown won't have to drive to see Real game.

The continued growth of office towers in Downtown, in conjunction with Mass Transit will have a overall growth effect to the downtown core. More people will want be employed downtown and will enjoy what it has to offer retail wise and culturally. That will conintue to spur the demand for residential.

While some may think that with CCC, Gateway, and Trolley is to much retail for downtown I'm pretty confident that the residential sector will keep up and will be able to support all three, along with everything else.

I think we will see some great adaptive re-uses in downtown as well. I think the Hotel Monaco was just the first of countless reuses or older spaces. I'm developing the plans right now for an adaptive reuse (mixed use) space. I (obviously) think will be a great addition and create some great urban infill to the CBD.

I'm truly excited about the direction of Salt Lake City and the entire state.
     
     
  #2444  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 4:05 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
I love your enthusiasm Future Mayor and look forward to your occupancy of City Hall.

One thing you have to promise me. Look into and push hard for the development of the Northwest sector of Salt Lake City proper. There's a lot of talk about it in certain circles and I'm all for it. Two things are paramount for the Northwest Sector, "an urban dense plan, with light rail access along No. Temple." Also, how about pushing for merging So. Salt Lake into Salt Lake City proper.
     
     
  #2445  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
I must say, as a portlander, i am very envious of the transportation options that utah will have in the near future. Light rail will explode in the next 5 years, as well as commuter rail--add to that the excellent freeway system and you guys will have the complete package. I just hope people will take advantage of the rail and use it, alot.
As an Angelino, I very much agree with you Pdxman.
     
     
  #2446  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
Transit will definently help and I hope this article about the office explosion is right, I hope the down turn in the economy dose not slow things down just as these buildings near completion.
I would like to make two points concerning this:
1.) insted of building alot of 20-30 story buildings I think we need to build a 50story(600ft)+ building insted, we need to brake free of the 35story(500ft) barrier.
2.) I read in the Deseret News that some of the suburban citys have no corporate Tax and that is one thing attracting corporations away from downtown, I think if SLC wants to create more growth downtown they should look at the Tax code and re-write it to make it more competitive for business.
     
     
  #2447  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Transit will definently help and I hope this article about the office explosion is right, I hope the down turn in the economy dose not slow things down just as these buildings near completion.
I would like to make two points concerning this:
1.) insted of building alot of 20-30 story buildings I think we need to build a 50story(600ft)+ building insted, we need to brake free of the 35story(500ft) barrier.
2.) I read in the Deseret News that some of the suburban citys have no corporate Tax and that is one thing attracting corporations away from downtown, I think if SLC wants to create more growth downtown they should look at the Tax code and re-write it to make it more competitive for business.

agreed.
     
     
  #2448  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 12:31 AM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Transit will definently help and I hope this article about the office explosion is right, I hope the down turn in the economy dose not slow things down just as these buildings near completion.
I would like to make two points concerning this:
1.) insted of building alot of 20-30 story buildings I think we need to build a 50story(600ft)+ building insted, we need to brake free of the 35story(500ft) barrier.
2.) I read in the Deseret News that some of the suburban citys have no corporate Tax and that is one thing attracting corporations away from downtown, I think if SLC wants to create more growth downtown they should look at the Tax code and re-write it to make it more competitive for business.
As a tax accountant, I can tell you that none of the cities in Utah have a corporate tax. The state of Utah has a 5% corporate tax but not the cities. The cities only get there share of the property taxes on homes and businesses and sales and use taxes. Some of the different cities may have incentives when it comes to these types of taxes but not the corporate tax. That would have to come from the state.
     
     
  #2449  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:02 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Kennecott to build a new 3,150-acre ski resort in the Oquirrh Mountains

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695216242,00.html

"All indications are the market can handle it," Fox said. "With the population potential out on the west bench, it's going to continue to impact the other ski resorts over time."

"We're in our fourth record year in a row and our industry here in Utah seems to be doing nothing but shooting upward," said Rafferty...

Kennecott will also be building hiking and biking trails in the Oquirrh Mountains...



Oquirrh Mountains Ski Area as seen while departing the Salt Lake City airport


.
     
     
  #2450  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:32 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Lake Powell

Uber-Luxe Resort takes shape

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_7100352


canyonequity images
Resort spells big bucks for Big Water/People seeking an isolated residence among the towering sandstone towers of southern Utah - and pampering by one of the most luxurious resort companies in the world - will have a chance beginning Oct. 15.



A crane rises against cliffs south of Big Water in Kane County where the luxury resort hotel for Amangiri is being built. (Mark Havnes/The Salt Lake Tribune )


..
     
     
  #2451  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 3:28 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Kennecott to build a new 3,150-acre ski resort in the Oquirrh Mountains
.
If they really do put it in the Soldier Flats area, that'll be beautiful. I've been up in there several times in summer and winter (got stuck up there with some friends in '05), and it's a fantastic area. We were snowshoeing, but with lifts, lodges, and other amenities...wow. Great area.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #2452  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:18 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695216239,00.html

The signs they are a-changin'



The Walker Center Building's blue-and-red electric sign that indicated coming weather for generations of Salt Lake Valley residents will be reinstalled atop the 20-story building at 175 S. Main, with letters in a vertical pattern on a steel tower harking back to the 1940s.

The tower and letters will be reinstalled Friday through early Monday, Oct. 12-14. Electrification will be completed by the end of the month. The reinstallation was postponed the weekend of Sept. 22 because of strong winds.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #2453  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 1:15 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Transit will definently help and I hope this article about the office explosion is right, I hope the down turn in the economy does not slow things down just as these buildings near completion.
I would like to make two points concerning this:
1.) insted of building alot of 20-30 story buildings I think we need to build a 50story(600ft)+ building insted, we need to brake free of the 35story(500ft) barrier.
It will definately be interesting RC14 to see how the national drop-off in housing affects the Wasatch Market. Experts predict that our local commercial boom will absorb much of the drop-off in new housing starts. For various reasons the Wasatch economy has shown itself to be a lot more resilient than the national market over the past 20 plus years, and will typically land more softly.

Builders and lenders in this area have been far less speculative than elsewhere. Our commercial real estate market is responding more to a game of catch-up, rather than speculation. While our economic growth can definately slow, as we have become a leading, western hub of manufacturing and distribution, we have not overreached to the extent of many other regions.

I guess only time will tell, as the length and depth of this slow-down becomes more apparent nationally.

As far as building fewer 20-30 story towers, and the ushering in of the 40-50 plus story towers, we can only dream for the moment. Even a huge national/international market like downtown L.A. is heavily vested in new 20-30 story towers. Perhaps, one of the new mystery towers will be our new, '40 story plus.' In order to get in to that 40-50 plus story range we will need two things to happen.

1. First of course, we will need a demand for that height, which will make economic sense,(such as the building of a corporate headquarter's, or perhaps the build-out of prime east side real-estate.) These types of demands will eventually play-out, and we will see the taller towers.

2. Second, and probably our best chance of seeing a 50 plus tower downtown sooner than later, will be the vision of a deep-pocketed, big spender. Take William Holding for example. His Grand America and its over-the-top expense, was not a response to the market demand. Yes, we definately needed a new,large hotel. We just didn't need one with millions of yards of hand-woven English carpet, hundred's of hand-blown Italian chandeliers, etc.,etc. The extent of extravance seen in this hotel is far beyond what is typically constructed. Outside of Vegas, and Dubai, it just isn't done on such a grand and extravagant scale these days.

Many do not understand that the Grand America was more a philanthropic gift to Salt Lake City, than a profit inducing machine. It will be many years before Holding recoups his investment. However, this was his long-held dream, since he was a young man. My sister-in-law was his chief accountant before her passing, and mentioned this particular dream of his before it was built.

Anyway, we need someone who has a vision for the taller,landmark towers, and the deep-pocket money to be patient not to receive a profit for perhaps a few years to come. A local Visionary, such as Miller, Holding, Huntsman, or a Mariott. Once one of these types steps in and builds, others will often follow.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 7, 2007 at 2:02 PM.
     
     
  #2454  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 2:00 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
One reason we lack a really tall tower 40-50 + is that a large proportion of those tall towers, are due to a corporate headquarter wanting to be the big kid on the block, besides some of the really large cities were it is simply demand. A corporation decides to build a new headquarters and wants to show it's muscle by building the tallest building in town. Then another company that either had the former tallest or wants to build a new building goes even higher. Considering we don't have many fortune 500 headquarters in Salt Lake City it might be awhile until we see the "Mine is bigger than yours" tower building. Case in point; when American Stores moved to town they built a new tallest, although it doesn't look the tallest because of the elevation of the COB, but it was definitely the new BEST LOOKING tower.

Hopefully governor Huntsman can woo some corporations that are dissatisfied with their pool of potential of uneducated employees in the Mid-West, or East and lure them to SLC. That would be a huge step forward in getting a new tallest. If we could get a nice 30-40 story tower build simply out of demand, not by a corp, in downtown then when a new corporate headquarters moved in they would potentially go at least 5-10 taller.

It seems that banks really tend to have the "Mine is Bigger than yours" mentality.

So here's to hoping Hunstman can lure a national bank or other corporate head quarters to Downtown.
     
     
  #2455  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 2:14 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
^^^
Agreed, Future Mayor. The extent of Huntsman's allure as our Govenor cannot be over-exaggerated. On so many fronts he will prove himself an invaluable tool, especially with the Orient. Already, many first's for the area are being realized because of Huntsman's savvy and leadership. To me, Huntsman is a crucial part of a 'Perfect Storm.'

Last edited by delts145; Oct 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM.
     
     
  #2456  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:32 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
If they really do put it in the Soldier Flats area, that'll be beautiful. I've been up in there several times in summer and winter (got stuck up there with some friends in '05), and it's a fantastic area. We were snowshoeing, but with lifts, lodges, and other amenities...wow. Great area.
Nice to hear from one of the group who's actually been up in that bowl. From this photo it looks like it will make an incredible area for winter sports. Unbelievable how close it will be to the airport and Main Street, Magna. I'm assuming it's the north facing,forrested slopes. Am I right Jedi?


Another thought. Imagine what this could do for Magna's historic Main Street. Wow, that would be like another Park City in the making,(rich mining history included). How cool would that be!! The old Main Street backs right up to the foothill. I think the days of Magna being strictly blue collar are coming to an end in the near future.

by Kevin Delaney


.
     
     
  #2457  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:51 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


I had never thought about the Park City angle on this, but you make a great point Delts.

I think they have already done a great job at starting to improve Magna Main Street with new curbs and new street lights, as can be seen in the photo. If I were a resident of Magna I would push for incorporation and give the city control over how the new ski area relates to Main Street. If nothing else they need to at least form a township to be able to control zoning issues.
     
     
  #2458  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:23 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747


So Magna is not already an incorporated city? Hmmm, I always thought is was?
     
     
  #2459  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:36 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Nope, it is in unincorporated SL County. There is supposed to be a vote soon as to what the residents want regarding their status. Incorporate with another city, form a township or stay unincorporated.
     
     
  #2460  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:07 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
I guess for the time I can only dream of a 50story building in SLC, but if I ever become a billionare the first thing I'll do is build a 50story building in our city.

Back to the more serious stuff. I'm very excited about that ski resort being built, I've been wishing we had a ski resort here in the valley I think it's just what we need, alot of people probubly associate Salt Lake with skiing it would be great to have a resort here in the valley. I think it will be especialy nice to have one near Magna it'll probubly help revitalize that part of the valley.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.