HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 1:44 AM

University Of Calgary - Urban Studies / 1st year.

Hello to everybody! My name is Chris and im going to take urban studies at the u of c in the fall.

Any insight or comments about the program would be greatly appreciated ! ^_^

-thanks

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:21 PM
Industrial Might

Well i can only comment on UBST 253, which i took for my option last year. The course runs over the basics of urban studies, encompassing everything from history to design to social impact, etc.

We had a new prof last year, since the other one was on leave. However this is how course was set up last year:

Mid term: MC / Essay Questions

Projects:
Calgary Project- an essay about some aspect of calgary with respect to the content of the course
Film Review: View a film that has significant urban setting and tell how the city impacts the characters.

Final: MC +T/F + Essay

Overall i found the cousre very easy, compared to my engineering studies. If you put time and effort into the essays you will recive a good mark. And you don't nessisarily have to read every last thing in the book, as long as you note the main points and review the lecture notes.

Best of luck with your studies!

-Rise_of_the_West

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:38 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_of_the_West View Post
Well i can only comment on UBST 253, which i took for my option last year. The course runs over the basics of urban studies, encompassing everything from history to design to social impact, etc.

We had a new prof last year, since the other one was on leave. However this is how course was set up last year:

Mid term: MC / Essay Questions

Projects:
Calgary Project- an essay about some aspect of calgary with respect to the content of the course
Film Review: View a film that has significant urban setting and tell how the city impacts the characters.

Final: MC +T/F + Essay

Overall i found the cousre very easy, compared to my engineering studies. If you put time and effort into the essays you will recive a good mark. And you don't nessisarily have to read every last thing in the book, as long as you note the main points and review the lecture notes.

Best of luck with your studies!

-Rise_of_the_West
Heh, you were probably in my class, I took UBST253 last fall... and UBST451 in the winter.

And I read the whole book...

Being an Urban Studies Major myself... I can give some commentary...

- First of all, you will actually being doing very little urban-related stuff in the degree. The bulk of your work will be in geography/sociology/anthropology/etc.

- Getting courses can be... frustrating. I usually find myself on my appointed registration dates looking for 10 courses and only have a couple dozen to choose from (remember, there are scheduling conlicts as well as prereqs to complete)

- The courses themselves require some reading, but are fairly easy to complete. Once you are in the higher level courses (UBST 451 and 591) a lot more work will be required, but the source material (urban theory, dialogue, history, etc.) is still pretty much the same.

- If you decide, or have decided, that you are going full-tilt into Urban Studies (I was a Law & Society Major in my first year), make sure you get that course material all gobbled down. You won't be able to remember all of it, most of the stuff can be pretty vague, but a paper becomes a whole lot easier when you can think of names like James Howard Kunstler, Jane Jacobs, Jeremy Bentham, Frank Lloyd Wright, David Harvey, Ebenezer Howard, Frederick Law Olmstead, La Corbusier... and be able to associate them with their beliefs and theories.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 7:29 PM

I would suggest taking the opportunity to do a lot of technical geography options to complement the more on-technical urban studies courses. Pick up some GIS and quantitative geography and you will be ahead of the game. They are good tickets to getting that first job, giving you a foot in the door.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 9:07 PM
Industrial Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
Heh, you were probably in my class, I took UBST253 last fall... and UBST451 in the winter.
I must have been, you had Mr. Ghitter (might have misspelled his name, sorry.) as a prof for it?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 10:51 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_of_the_West View Post
I must have been, you had Mr. Ghitter (might have misspelled his name, sorry.) as a prof for it?
Yes, and the spelling is correct.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 6:21 AM
City Maker

I think the first thing you need to know is what Urban Studies actually is and if it’s what you actually want to do. I say this because after I took UBST201, now 253, I knew I wanted to become an urban planner and I switched into the Urban Studies program thinking that was probably the best way to go. After taking a bunch of urban geography, sociology, and anthropology courses that have pretty much gone over the same material but with a different focus, I’ve realized that I have a broad knowledge of all things urban that will very much help me when I become a planner, but that’s going to take a while. Although I chose a good path that is providing me with a wide array of skills, I didn’t choose the most direct path. Ryerson’s site gave me the best break down of what I got myself into:

Urban studies look at cities, people, and processes occurring within cities, but it does not have an action orientation as in planning.

If you just want to study the urban realm looking at what goes on, has gone on and will go on in cities, as well as why, then urban studies is the program for you. If you want to become a planner and would like to do so quickly/directly then you might want to look into planning programs at other universities, off the top of my mind Ryerson and Waterloo offer bachelors of planning. If you want to become a planner with well rounded knowledge of urbanity and don’t mind taking it slow, a BA in urban studies and a masters in planning might be for you.

Now, a little about the Urban Studies program at the U. Like Boris said earlier, a lot of your course will not be Urban Studies course but rather geography, sociology, and anthropology. The UBST program is quite small and has a limited amount of UBST courses, this leads to two major piss-offs:
1) You are at the mercy of other faculties most of the time. Aside from geography you’ll probably have a helluva time trying to get into senior level courses that you’ll need as core subjects. This has led me to changing my path at least once a semester.
2) Overlay, get ready for a lot of this. Since you are taking the urban side of a variety of subjects you are going to hear a lot of the basics of the urban realm repeated. This does make the courses easier but annoying at the same time, you might skip class thinking it’s about the same shit you heard the semester before but the bloody bastard of a prof sneaks some new material in there!
Aside from this stuff the Urban Studies program is really interesting and enlightening. Although it’s going to take me forever to become a planner I’m confident that this program has provided me with a well rounded knowledge that will probably give me an edge later on. For example, I’ve taken a shit load of sociology courses so I now have a sound knowledge of how people interact. This has made me very sensitive to the relationships that planning affects, I’ve come to believe that design can foster interaction. This leads me to what The Geographer was talking about, choose courses that will help you out later on and also interest you. He/she mentioned GIS and quantitative geography courses.

Although GIS is a big part of Urban Planning, I hate it! Instead of GIS I have opted to take an analytical methods (spatial statistics analysis) course in geography and two courses in social research methods. These have been immensely helpful in understanding how other researchers have come to their conclusions and where they may have fallen short.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 6:48 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Although GIS is a big part of Urban Planning, I hate it! Instead of GIS I have opted to take an analytical methods (spatial statistics analysis) course in geography and two courses in social research methods. These have been immensely helpful in understanding how other researchers have come to their conclusions and where they may have fallen short.
Heh, those social research methods courses can definately be interesting. However, I think in terms of usefulness, I think at best they can help you with picking apart arguments that are based on erroneous conclusions. That is to say, it is more of a way to enhance your analysis and make you a sharper critic.

I have actually enjoyed my GIS courses a lot, at least once I got the hang of the process. A well-working model is a beautiful thing, as it is way easier to make changes and be creative than when using the step-by-step crap that they teach you in the junior level courses. I guess it would be very useful skill if you worked for a big land developer.

On another note, I found Transportation Studies 301 to be a very good course, even if the knowledge was a bit predictable. No, I can't remember the exact steps, in order, of a UTMS system (workplace and residence allocation; trip assignment; route analysis; mode choice?) but it at least gives you a handle on concepts like induced demand; and a background on the history of modern transportation. It also provides a connection between GIS and Urban Planning, and you can take a GIS-T course now if you are interested in pursuing that.

Above all, what intrigues me the most about Urban Studies is that it is a course capable of connecting just about every course you can take in a university career. The history of our cities is the history of civilization itself.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 3:18 PM

Well, if it makes everyone feel any better, Urban Studies is not the only program where it is impossible to match all the courses you want due to poor administrative planning. Geography is a mess; especially this year. They haven't even made sure the most important geography courses don't overlap with each other.

Anyway, I will give some more specific advice from the geography point of view. While Riise is right that GIS can be a boil on one's ass, it is good to get at least one course just to say you did. The stats/methods courses are good, and I would recommend going that extra mile and picking up 439 even though most just stop at 339. It really gives a more rounded understanding of what you started to learn in 339.

For "methods" take (in this order of priority... you shouldn't need remote sensing for any of these):
Geog 357 GIS I
Geog 339 Stats and methods I
Geog 401 Transportation GIS
Geog 457 GIS II
Geog 439 Multivariate stats and methods II
*Geog 557 Urban GIS

*The reason this one is lower is that I don't know if there is anyone to teach it, and the course itself hasn't really been fine-tuned. I wouldn't "count" on it, so instead make other plans and arrangements while keeping your eye on it.

Urban geography is getting new profs for these courses, but I imagine they will still be good:
Geog 351 Urban Social Geography
Geog 451 Urban Systems
Geog 551 (changes from year to year)

I think Miller (from Urban Studies) teaches Geog 565 (Urban political geog), but I don't know anything about it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 4:49 AM

hello all!

Ubst 253 is going pretty good right now. My prof is b.miller and he seems pretty good, yet lectures are a bit boring. The text i use is the "city reader". I have a midterm coming up..and i was just wondering if anybody can give me insight to sample questions the test can throw at me, and what would be wise to review in the text, i have no idea what to expect -_-''

-thanks ^_^

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation