According to Socketsite, there's NIMBY mischief afoot:
"Fox Plaza Guy" (perhaps afraid of losing some of his view) says:
Quote:
Have you ever tried standing on this corner when the wind is blowing? I'm a 190# guy and got blown right into traffic the other day by a gust of wind at the crosswalk. As it stands, this development will only cause the wind buffeting to be worse. This development is so wrong as envisioned! It needs to be smaller or its going to be a disaster.
The developer received several exceptions and variances for this project. There is expected to be a contingent of neighborhood residents at the Board's meeting next week (8/29) to opppose this project as envisioned and appeal the exceptions and variances granted to the developer. The meeting is at 5PM Wednesday 8/29 in City Hall, 4th floor. In order to get the developer to revise the plan, we need 4 out of 5 commissioners to support the appeal, so please come!
Support the development, but just not as it is planned. It is dangerous for the pedestrians in the neighborhood.
|
Pretty ironic considering which building it is that causes the street-level wind. And there's no certainty another tall building will make it worse--another such building could actually be designed to mitigate local winds though I have no idea if that was part of the design consideration at Heller Manus.
And "anonarch" goes on:
Quote:
|
I would oppose this project just for being ugly. Is this project trying to be a retro 60's Florida High Rise, or if one is critical of this bad architecture, should I then assume that I will be told that I am a "Victorian" lover? Why must the choices we are given in the city be so extreme? Super ugly super tall high rise condos of poor design, OR, keeping the old existing urban fabric without any changes? Both of these choices are not acceptable, and I wish some of the new urban in-fill projects could be of different massing and scale. One Rincon may have won the SFCurbed contest for the ugliest building in S.F., but I would give this sad project the ugly prize if it is built.
|
Source of both quotes:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2007/...h_and_market_development_details_an.html