HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive


    375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 5:10 AM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Today the Tides was officially deemed to be topped out, which means that soon a construction crew will be freed up and looking for a new project.

I wonder how that factors into the planning of this one? Especially given BVic's report of the waiting list...
Yeah, but The Tides is strictly rental.
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 6:03 AM
Pru Pru is offline
Contemplator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
^ I vote for X/O and Park Michigan, not at all based on design (both nice of course) but rather because of precedent, if both of these can get approved and built it would be a nail in the coffin of the surging NIMBYism in the south loop and it would be fantastic to have these towers shoved up their a$$es. Conversely, if they manage to shoot down both projects, it would likely spell the beginning of the end of the South Loop boom.
Ditto...

Though I must admit I'm in love with Park Michigan just on design and placement alone. But yes, getting it built in that area would be a huge step in the right direction.

Arquitectonica -- I'd put this high on the list, especially if the modern elements in the design work. Otherwise it's a really really tall apartment building from the early sixties. ...oh, yeah -- with a hole in it.
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 6:08 PM
Ryan81's Avatar
Ryan81 Ryan81 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 323
It's got a ways to go

....It's got a long ways to go, but my model is taking shape. Soon we will be able to see this proposal from various vantage points in the city. It's been sort of difficult to figure out just exactly what happens to the facade as it transitions from top to bottom. Once I get all the details modeled though, I think it will be close enough for me.



Last edited by Ryan81; Aug 20, 2007 at 6:22 PM.
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 6:49 PM
Dr. Taco Dr. Taco is offline
...
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 92626
Posts: 3,415
wow, ryan, you make me excited about life. thanks!

seriously, I wish I had skills, and I really applaud yours

I'm sure the tower will have design modifications when the next renders come out, but I wonder how extensive those modifications will be. but for now, I don't really have that much of a beef with this tower
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 7:12 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,588
Nice perspective, Ryan. Thanks for sharing.
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 10:05 PM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
Good looking model. I would like to see it in the skyline though.
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 11:26 PM
Untitled's Avatar
Untitled Untitled is offline
Back in the Windy City
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 232
Impressive work there, Ryan.
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 12:09 AM
djvandrake's Avatar
djvandrake djvandrake is offline
I'm going slightly mad.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 784
Nice model! I'd say you're off to an awesome start with it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:55 AM
EarlyBuyer's Avatar
EarlyBuyer EarlyBuyer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 885


Nice work Ryan81.
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 5:33 AM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,629
I agree, great job Ryan81.
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 4:45 PM
X-fib X-fib is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 220
Yes Ryan81, great job! This building will be noteworthy, if only for the hole, its size, and impact on the lakefront/LSE skyline. I am still not sold on the design but will reserve judgment until I see more detailed renderings.
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 4:04 AM
Ryan81's Avatar
Ryan81 Ryan81 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 323
Progress Update.......

     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 1:45 PM
Dr. Taco Dr. Taco is offline
...
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 92626
Posts: 3,415
^very nice progress. itd be pretty cool to own the balcony immediately over the hole
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 5:35 AM
bnk bnk is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 12,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Progress Update.......


I know the renders do not show windows looking into the hole, but will there be any window utilizing this empty space and if not than why the void?

To get taller and save dollars by avoiding filling up units in the middle? Or do the developers think that a hole will sell the building as a hole[sp]?

Any other benefits other than the hole itself?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 6:50 PM
Knightwing's Avatar
Knightwing Knightwing is offline
Cleared for takeoff
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Any other benefits other than the hole itself?
Aesthetics and wind effect reduction. (Boundary layer separation)
     
     
  #456  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 7:05 PM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
Has anyone noticed how the base massing is very similar to the first Prudential building? I am especially thinking of the asymmetrical "bustle" that protrudes near the end of Wacker Drive.
     
     
  #457  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 10:26 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Has anyone noticed how the base massing is very similar to the first Prudential building? I am especially thinking of the asymmetrical "bustle" that protrudes near the end of Wacker Drive.
Possibly. Several modernist buildings went for such a massing at the base. The first that comes to mind is One Penn Plaza.
     
     
  #458  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 4:28 PM
a chicago bearcat's Avatar
a chicago bearcat a chicago bearcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 328
I'm guessing that the elevator bays for the floors below take up the area where the hole is above, and they drop away as in any tall residential tower. Only instead of having an atrium, or setbacks, they've hollowed out this area allowing for greater efficiency of the floorplates on the higher floors because the units are more crowded around the elevator bays, meaning less hallway, and less "unsellable" Floor area eating into the overall FAR

that would be my guess, and I'd guess that the reason there aren't too many windows is because they are using that inner part of the hole as some sort of shear wall to make the hole possible.

that's what I'd deduce from experience
     
     
  #459  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 6:15 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,833
From the "blueprints" that i saw the other day, I must announce that this tower more than likely will not even break the 900' mark. While the skematics that I saw might be preliminary, this is the current status.

Why I didn't write down the exact height while I was there, I really can't think of an answer for other than that I was in a rush.

Hopefully this status will change when more "hard information" on this tower is released.
     
     
  #460  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 2:03 PM
Dr. Taco Dr. Taco is offline
...
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 92626
Posts: 3,415
^ thats pretty dissapointing, but i can cope

anyone know when more information on this could possibly come out?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.