HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1461  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 12:45 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Well..mabye they are doing something to brighten up the construction site. Look at LA Live. Their fences have all of that children designed stuff. Who knows?
I don't think that most people would consider a fence filled with graffiti and ads "brightened up" but I could be wrong. But you guys are probably right that there's some sort of explanation. Here's a picture that I took today of the fence along Figueroa.



Now that's definitely not temporary for a film shoot. I guess that it's possible that the film company just scouted this location and maybe even planned with Moinian to coordinate the shoot. Like I said, I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can shed some light on what's going on this weekend.
     
     
  #1462  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 4:04 AM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
^ That's a construction fence, not a temporary fence for a film shoot. A film shoot would not cement anything into the ground. It would be a completely unnecessary expense.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #1463  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 8:11 PM
LongBeachUrbanist's Avatar
LongBeachUrbanist LongBeachUrbanist is offline
Ridin' The Metro
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Metro Blue, Wardlow Stop
Posts: 2,578
There was a small fire on the St. Vibiana's block today. My first thought was that the old church was on fire. When I finally got to it, it turned out it was just a dumpster.

BTW, the Tofu Festival is pretty packed. I hope to see some of the other Nisei Week activities tomorrow.
__________________
COMPLETE THE CENTRAL SUBWAY BY 2020!!!
     
     
  #1464  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 8:26 PM
funhaus's Avatar
funhaus funhaus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I don't think that most people would consider a fence filled with graffiti and ads "brightened up" but I could be wrong. But you guys are probably right that there's some sort of explanation. Here's a picture that I took today of the fence along Figueroa.

Now that's definitely not temporary for a film shoot. I guess that it's possible that the film company just scouted this location and maybe even planned with Moinian to coordinate the shoot. Like I said, I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can shed some light on what's going on this weekend.
The construction fence on 12th was dressed Friday afternoon for a Friday evening film shoot. The blank fencing was covered with aged plywood and many prop flyers and posters -- looked like it had been there for months!

When I walked by after work Friday I watched some stunt drivers in police cars and another car coordinating their encounter on 12th Street (which was closed temporarily) in front of the fencing, with the Staples Center looming behind.

Today it's back to normal - a pristine construction fence for the LA Live site.
     
     
  #1465  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 9:33 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
So have any of the steel beams of the Ritz started sprouting?
__________________
Revelation 21:4
     
     
  #1466  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 12:52 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhaus View Post
The construction fence on 12th was dressed Friday afternoon for a Friday evening film shoot. The blank fencing was covered with aged plywood and many prop flyers and posters -- looked like it had been there for months!

When I walked by after work Friday I watched some stunt drivers in police cars and another car coordinating their encounter on 12th Street (which was closed temporarily) in front of the fencing, with the Staples Center looming behind.

Today it's back to normal - a pristine construction fence for the LA Live site.
Thanks for that! So I'm not crazy after all. I saw the fence this afternoon and it was back to normal and the film crew was gone.
     
     
  #1467  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 5:28 AM
edkao's Avatar
edkao edkao is offline
Californication
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Thanks for that! So I'm not crazy after all. I saw the fence this afternoon and it was back to normal and the film crew was gone.
It was for a Warner Bros tv show.
     
     
  #1468  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 5:40 AM
edkao's Avatar
edkao edkao is offline
Californication
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 110
On my way home tonight I noticed the renamed Grand Ave Club is open for business. Crash Mansion LA is the new name. The entrance to the club is now located the second floor, facing Olympic.

It did not seem too crowded, hopefully there will not be any 2AM drag races down Grand Ave.

http://crashmansionla.com/
     
     
  #1469  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 4:48 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
So have any of the steel beams of the Ritz started sprouting?
Not yet. From the looks of it, it seems as though they just finished digging the foundation.
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
  #1470  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 10:03 PM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
The heavy equipment that was in the LA Central parking lot before the TV shoot is now gone. I'm not gonna speculate anymore. I'll just leave it at that.

     
     
  #1471  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:09 AM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
^ ^ ^

Well if its cancelled, you can thank the @#$% citizens that act childish when they whine about the traffic.

Back on the East Coast, it doesn't require a genius to realize that the theory behind city growth is that as more people come in the city, revenue increases, thus providing better public services.

What these unwise fools don't realize is that they are discouraging people from coming into the city, and when that happens, the economy goes down, the revenue for Los Angeles stays the same, and therefore.......it can't pay for upgrades to the very things that transform American society:

Healthcare
Public Transportation
Public Safety
Housing services
Education
Power, gas, Water
Sewage Treatment

.....The list goes on and on.
__________________
Revelation 21:4
     
     
  #1472  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:17 AM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
What are you going on about? LA Central isn't cancelled.
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
  #1473  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:26 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
What are you going on about? LA Central isn't cancelled.
Yeah, he does get carried away. I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was cancelled. It's just that most of us probably thought that the equipment on property was there to break ground. Now that it's gone, it obviously wasn't. I assume that the bobcat type stuff is still there although I didn't really look.
     
     
  #1474  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:39 PM
JRinSoCal's Avatar
JRinSoCal JRinSoCal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Yo momma's house
Posts: 542
Jesus, why are we so damn inpatient? LA Central just got approved and we immediately wanna see a crane rising on the site.
     
     
  #1475  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 5:22 PM
LongBeachUrbanist's Avatar
LongBeachUrbanist LongBeachUrbanist is offline
Ridin' The Metro
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Metro Blue, Wardlow Stop
Posts: 2,578
Watching the forums and blogs everyday makes it easy to get impatient. But it's important to remember that high-rise development is a very complex process. There are many obstacles (economic, bureaucratic, legal, logistical) that must be overcome, and none of us are having to deal with these obstacles.

Real information on these forums takes the form of news reports, press releases, eyewitness reports, and photos. Everything else is speculation.

We don't know if LA Central has been canceled, or delayed, or even started. We don't know exactly where that project stands. All we know is that a semi-permanent-looking fence is up, and that it got legislative approval ten days ago. On that basis, I would guess that things are moving forward.
__________________
COMPLETE THE CENTRAL SUBWAY BY 2020!!!
     
     
  #1476  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 6:02 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
Jesus, why are we so damn inpatient? LA Central just got approved and we immediately wanna see a crane rising on the site.
I call it the citywatch effect. It's a virus one contracts from being exposed to too many "Gaah!" and "banging head against brick" smileys.

On another note, I went to Pete's last night for a beer and saw that the asphalt at the Medallion site has been removed all the way to Main Street on the 4th Street side, and halfway to 3rd Street. So approximately half (if not a bit more) of the site has been cleared.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #1477  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 7:23 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
I'm well aware of the monthly process that takes place for a project. And never implied L.A. Central was cancelled. I only said that IF it was ever cancelled.
__________________
Revelation 21:4
     
     
  #1478  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 8:16 PM
funhaus's Avatar
funhaus funhaus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 158
Still no activity on the infamous "Glass Tower" - can't wait until a construction fence starts to appear on that corner.

Here's a rendering from the architects website (in work/on the boards). It's different than the ones at theglasstower.com though it doesn't reveal anything different or new.

     
     
  #1479  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 9:33 PM
DTLA's Avatar
DTLA DTLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 84
^It's slightly different cause on this render there are open balconies, where as the original renders showed the entire side enclosed.
     
     
  #1480  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 10:01 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
You know a building has stalled when you totally forgot about it.

There is also a giant crane hovering over Nokia.

http://clarkconstruction.oxblue.com/lalive/
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.