HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 5:59 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Oh and I thought there was news when I saw UNREAD. HAHA!

It's called the Nevergreen Line
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 4:06 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Sorry ... the only news I've seen lately is Carole James calling for the line to be built.
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 8:25 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
i am not familiar with the b line - but i think the majority of passengers get on at Coquitlam Centre so the idea to run it along lougheed is a good one as there can't be that many riders getting on it other than part of port moody

there would be so much more to serve along lougheed - the riverview staff, IKEA, the big box stores etc. - they could even branch it off braid and serve that new planned community along coquitlams riverfront
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 11:52 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
These are all good things to service.
It would encourage industrial workers along United Boulevard to take transit as well... but they will need to build a pedestrian overpass over the Freeway.

I know from experience that many people who get on the B-line at Lougheed tend to get off around the Como Lake and Glenayre bus stops. The Glenayre stop will no longer exist with Evergreen in place, so they're going to need to CONTINUE bus service to Glenayre. It seems to me that the majority of people who live in the newport developments have cars, or if they do happen to work downtown, then they will walk to the West Coast Express.

Honestly, I'd rather have the line go through Port Moody, but with the current cash crunch I simply don't think its the best route choice (nevermind the technology choice). If you're going to invest into something expensive like a bored tunnel, then justify the cost with the superior system.

Its like buying a car and not wanting to pay for any extras.
I dunno, my air conditioner is quite useful, and the power locks are a fully appreciated convenience.
I'm happy that I paid an extra $1000.00 for that package. I think the Tri-city commuters of the future will appreciate a grade separated system in the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i am not familiar with the b line - but i think the majority of passengers get on at Coquitlam Centre so the idea to run it along lougheed is a good one as there can't be that many riders getting on it other than part of port moody

there would be so much more to serve along lougheed - the riverview staff, IKEA, the big box stores etc. - they could even branch it off braid and serve that new planned community along coquitlams riverfront

Last edited by Mininari; Jun 18, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
     
     
  #145  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 12:17 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
i am starting a pro-SkyTrain Evergreen Line website/blog....more details later.


it'll be evergreenline.(tbd).com ....... but i can't think of a good website title. All i have now is "SkyTrain for Evergreen Line". Any ideas?

Last edited by mr.x; Jun 18, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
     
     
  #146  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 12:48 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Oh if you need help with any web design I don't mind helping you. But if you are doing a blog, you don't have to do no htmling...

EverSky Line... Actually this is hard to think of names... I still can't see why they chose a LRT instead of SkyTrain, I mean they built an extra platform on Lougheed Station for this.... sigh...
     
     
  #147  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 1:22 AM
Nutterbug Nutterbug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I think the SkyTrain to UBC will eventually get rammed down their throats (i.e too much demand for Translink/Province/COV to pretend its unnessecary), but the NIMBYs would force it to be tunneled. I'm curious how much extra the tunnel would cost (vs. elevated), compared to the drop in house value in areas near the line (and hence lower property taxes for the city) if the line was elevated.
If they do that, they better densify the area like crazy to justify its cost. I hope they set the right precedent with the Cambie corridor.
     
     
  #148  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 2:05 AM
The_Henry_Man The_Henry_Man is offline
HA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Cloud, MN/Richmond, BC
Posts: 873
I went through North Rd/Clarke/St Johns St corridor to Henderson Mall last wk or two and on the way checked out the route out a bit, and it really struck me how Tranlink will be able to effectively at many places widen the corridor to accomodate Evergreen Line.

Lougheed Town Centre Stn to Cameron/Foster- that part is acceptable.

Cameron to Barnet- that is one very narrow street. Just barely enough two lanes each way without any centre median. Sure, you can greatly widen it as shown on the Translink website, but would residents/other owners protest the expropriation of some of their properties? You're talking a GREAT SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THEIR FRONT YARD, in order to fit two more lanes for LRT. And a lot of the houses and properites sits pretty close to the sidewalk. I really don't know how Translink will manage to effectively widen the street, as well as accomodate the tunnel portal and the stations. It essentially decreases the train's speed and that it effectively destroys its function as rapid transit.

St. Johns St- I REALLY DON"T SEE what's so special, pristine, and cute town-like feel of the area as Joe Trasolini claimed to be (even Steveston Harbour beats that). Apart of a few storefronts along the road, most are just suburban-style warehouses, car dealers (Lexus/Toyota) and some houses along the way. I really don't think the Skytrain guideway would ruin the town-like feel of the area. Don't forget you also have the inner streets both north and south of St. Johns to really beautify the city (and connect it with the Port Moody WCE station)

**Conclusion- Evergreen Line (as-is, with LRT option): spectacular failure. Waste of money with very little time saved for commuting (it will inevitably interfere with rest of the traffic due to narrow street at many parts along the route). Just a political show.
     
     
  #149  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 2:37 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
give me some tips: http://evergreenline.wordpress.com/


it's far from done of course.
     
     
  #150  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 4:42 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
^it isn't bad but if u can change the font for the title it would be nice. and if the links (top navigation) were dark-grey semi-transparent, it would be nice too. I like those pics =D

overall nice job

Last edited by deasine; Jun 18, 2007 at 5:48 AM.
     
     
  #151  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 5:54 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
^ thx. i don't really like my banner.


i would really appreciate if somebody could help me make a banner for the site. It has to be exactly 690 x 115 pixels, and would be great if it could contain pictures of SkyTrain - Lougheed Station with people and MK II cars.

Lemme know!

http://evergreenline.wordpress.com/
     
     
  #152  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 6:01 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
I will do that. Give me two days as I am doing someone elses site right now.

hey ur new design looks better. But the image is smaller now... so...

Last edited by deasine; Jun 18, 2007 at 6:22 AM.
     
     
  #153  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 6:47 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I will do that. Give me two days as I am doing someone elses site right now.

hey ur new design looks better. But the image is smaller now... so...
thx, but just don't put any text onto it, and would be awesome if you could add in the Evergreen Line green swoosh logo to the right of the banner. thx again!

690 x 115 pixels

Last edited by mr.x; Jun 18, 2007 at 6:54 AM.
     
     
  #154  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:20 PM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Here it is. Doesn't look very nice though, did it in 20 min. (including finding photos):
http://members.shaw.ca/clauf/skytrain.png

If you want to edit the PSD file:
http://members.shaw.ca/clauf/skytrain.psd


The swoosh logo is very ugly. I took me forever to find a low quality one. If you can find one that is nice and crisp, I'll redo it.
     
     
  #155  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
^aha thx. i can't find a swoosh either. if you don't like it, get rid of the swoosh.

thx again.
     
     
  #156  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:25 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,123
you need to normalize the colors on the image. the ones on the right are too red while the one of the left is blueish.
     
     
  #157  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 4:18 PM
The_Henry_Man The_Henry_Man is offline
HA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Cloud, MN/Richmond, BC
Posts: 873
Mr.x2, if you can, please do whatever you can and spread this website to as many concerned people as possible, and spread the news of this website to all politicians in the Lower Mainland. Ally with the "Coquitlam for Skytrain" Organization (I think this was the one that originally opposes LRT in the NES). I have every bit of confidence that this website will be the tool that contributes to the downfall of the LRT Evergreen Line and resurrect the Skytrain option.

Cheers!!
     
     
  #158  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 6:05 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Here it is. Doesn't look very nice though, did it in 20 min. (including finding photos):
http://members.shaw.ca/clauf/skytrain.png

If you want to edit the PSD file:
http://members.shaw.ca/clauf/skytrain.psd


The swoosh logo is very ugly. I took me forever to find a low quality one. If you can find one that is nice and crisp, I'll redo it.
Deasine, your banner doesn't go well with the site. And the logo is in the way of the font.

thx for doing it though. =D
     
     
  #159  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 6:06 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
you need to normalize the colors on the image. the ones on the right are too red while the one of the left is blueish.
haha, i agree. i'm not great in making banners, could you do one for me? make sure you have a picture of Lougheed Station.
     
     
  #160  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 1:11 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Haha you shouldn't expect anything from 20 minutes. XD Especially I'm no photoshop expert. If you want me to take of the swoosh (which I still cannot find one), I can do so right away. I will have a lot of time once I finish this guy's website. [I'm more html than photoshop]

Geez... the blending in the banner is soo ugly. You won't change your theme right? Now I know your theme, I might work on a banner based on the colours.

I have to admit, it looks ugly too. XD LMAO I AM DETERMINED TO DO ANOTHER ONE. Now that I'm off school and doing provincials =D
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.