HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive


    375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:03 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
This is the Hyatt proposal. Apparently, it's on hold right now because the Hyatt changed ownership, so the project's future is uncertain.


There are three different designs on the table. One is the Gonzalez Hasbrouck plan from LSD to Michigan, which is likely just imagination on the part of the architects and represents no actual plan.

The second is the Gensler plan, which goes all the way from Franklin to LSD. Gensler is also doing design services for a stainless-steel canopy that the Hyatt wants to erect from Columbus to Michigan. This canopy may or may not be part of their overall plan.
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 6:38 PM
archytype archytype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28


Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Good shadow play can make an otherwise decent project into a very good project. Here, with a Southern face and lots of refracted lake light to the East, the opportunities are rich.

Must have more renders!
In the rendering of the tower's present state, (where it will hopefully remain) you can see thin and vertical dark lines following the glazing, it's actually the shadowline from an exposed I-beam framework that is offset several feet to support the balconies. The building's facade is primarily glazing but the exposed framework (or unique scaffolding, IMO) adds a unique depth and shadow-play.

The tower obviously exhibits Architectonica's modern spin on the Miesian tradition inherent in the Illinois Center, ie.
(pure box+detailing meets modernism) which translates into the skyline view of the massive keyhole and an up-close view depicting an eccentric facade.

Let's hope the developers can push a tall floor to ceiling height so the overall height pushes well beyond 900' CCD.
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 6:42 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,528
^ wow, that sounds awesome archytype, thanks for the input! I can't wait to see some up close ground level renderings.
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 7:50 PM
Ryan81's Avatar
Ryan81 Ryan81 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 323
Render Update

Hey everyone,

I added to Archytype's original composition. I added CS and Trump.

I know, I know, the CS doesn't look as realistic pasted into this image as it could....Also, the location and height of Trump is APPROXIMATE...an educated guess based on the known heights and location of existing buildings around it......just thought I'd say that before someone replies and tells me.

I may work tonight to get the CS to look more realistic...I think I just need to add a little texture to the sketchup model to give it a glass facade. I don't have a sketchup model of Mandarin Oriental to place in this shot.

     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 8:33 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,673
^^^ Nice!
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 10:49 PM
SportsWorld's Avatar
SportsWorld SportsWorld is offline
Chicago 2016
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Hey everyone,

I added to Archytype's original composition. I added CS and Trump.

I know, I know, the CS doesn't look as realistic pasted into this image as it could....Also, the location and height of Trump is APPROXIMATE...an educated guess based on the known heights and location of existing buildings around it......just thought I'd say that before someone replies and tells me.

I may work tonight to get the CS to look more realistic...I think I just need to add a little texture to the sketchup model to give it a glass facade. I don't have a sketchup model of Mandarin Oriental to place in this shot.

     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 11:29 PM
archytype archytype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Hey everyone,

I added to Archytype's original composition. I added CS and Trump.

I may work tonight to get the CS to look more realistic...I think I just need to add a little texture to the sketchup model to give it a glass facade. I don't have a sketchup model of Mandarin Oriental to place in this shot.
I have some fresh new aerials photos with better views I'm compiling when I get some time next week. I can add in mandarin, n. fairbanks, etc... I just need a rendering not sketchup.
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
bnk bnk is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 12,071


Waterview too.
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 2:38 AM
aluminum's Avatar
aluminum aluminum is offline
I love boxes.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 637
Hey, can anyone tell me how tall is this Arquitectonica LSE tower ?
How come its not in diagrams ?
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 3:31 AM
djvandrake's Avatar
djvandrake djvandrake is offline
I'm going slightly mad.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 784
Because it's a new proposal whose details are very much in flux. We still don't know how tall it will be or what the final design will be. The speculation is this tower will be over 900'. The LSE sales staff would tell me only that it's planned to be taller than Aqua.
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 4:17 AM
CGII's Avatar
CGII CGII is offline
illwaukee/crooklyn
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: rome
Posts: 8,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
well, the LSD bridge is the the bottom left...and the river flows east...so....yeah.
I'm quite sure one of the most memorable feats of engineering attributed to the city of Chicago was the reversal of the flow of the river to the West...
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
I Mean The River Goes East!!!
     
     
  #313  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 5:06 PM
simcityaustin simcityaustin is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Usa
Posts: 407
It's crazy how these new supertalls start to dwarf the other towers, making them look shorter then they are.
     
     
  #314  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:40 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by archytype View Post




In the rendering of the tower's present state, (where it will hopefully remain) you can see thin and vertical dark lines following the glazing, it's actually the shadowline from an exposed I-beam framework that is offset several feet to support the balconies. The building's facade is primarily glazing but the exposed framework (or unique scaffolding, IMO) adds a unique depth and shadow-play.

The tower obviously exhibits Architectonica's modern spin on the Miesian tradition inherent in the Illinois Center, ie.
(pure box+detailing meets modernism) which translates into the skyline view of the massive keyhole and an up-close view depicting an eccentric facade.

Let's hope the developers can push a tall floor to ceiling height so the overall height pushes well beyond 900' CCD.
Nice. Have you seen any larger/additional images, archytype?

The exposed I-beams are another nice nod to Mies. The scaffolding effect is a nice touch, too - just the steel frame, I assume - honest & archistorical. You see this kind of "scaffolding" also on some of the larger steel mills around Gary/Hammond.

Last edited by wrab; Jun 2, 2007 at 9:32 PM.
     
     
  #315  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 8:59 PM
jcchii's Avatar
jcchii jcchii is offline
Content provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: city on the take
Posts: 3,118
that rendering is great.

very nice work
     
     
  #316  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 1:11 AM
STR's Avatar
STR STR is offline
Because I'm Clever!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,078
Wow. I like the detailing. It's like a lattice-work grid on the face of the tower. Almost Lloyd's of London look to it, but a cleaner design more modernist in tradition.

The proportions are still bleh, but the facade is solid.

     
     
  #317  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 2:42 AM
SevenSevenThree's Avatar
SevenSevenThree SevenSevenThree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 400
Is there a reason why the thread title doesn't reflect the height given from Mario/Marvel33's website?
     
     
  #318  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 2:52 AM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree View Post
Is there a reason why the thread title doesn't reflect the height given from Mario/Marvel33's website?
To the best of my recollection, Mario's article didn't give a height figure in feet, only mentioning that it will be 76 floors.
     
     
  #319  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 3:02 AM
SevenSevenThree's Avatar
SevenSevenThree SevenSevenThree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
To the best of my recollection, Mario's article didn't give a height figure in feet, only mentioning that it will be 76 floors.
Its listed as 921' on newcityskyline.com. Its not in the article though. It was posted by the administrator of the site in the forum, which I didn't know existed. Do I have my websites confused?

Btw, he said the height wasnt official yet but it is a number that we havent seen before.

Last edited by SevenSevenThree; Jun 3, 2007 at 3:07 AM.
     
     
  #320  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 3:09 AM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree View Post
Its listed as 921' on newcityskyline.com. Its not in the article though. It was posted by the administrator of the site in the forum, which I didn't know existed. Do I have my websites confused?

Btw, he said the height wasnt official yet but it is a number that we havent seen before.
Do you have a link?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.