HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1981  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:51 AM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
I don't mind Taylor Field where it is...it would make an awesome centrepiece for that Dewdney area, though. Could you imagine that area after a game on a Friday night? Nuts! Where would you put the stadium? In the middle, or toward Broad or Albert?

What would they do with the current stadium, though? I don't even know how big that area is?? Maybe they could build some affordable housing units similar to what they're doing near the General? Obviously on a much larger scale but they could have some housing a grocery store. I've heard of "group homes" for teen mothers where they can live and work in the same place, maybe something like that could be integrated? There would be the housing (possibly single family and "townhouse" type developments) a grocery store, group home with an attatched store where the girls could work as well as buy used clothing, furniture and toys? I dunno, just a thought...first we'd have to move the stadium and I don't see that happening anytime soon!
     
     
  #1982  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:51 AM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Cost?
It's hard to say, because cost would dependant on a lot of things, especially the rising costs of building materials and Saskatchewan's growing labour shortage. Not to mention this is just a rather quick concept

But at today's prices, in Regina's market, a stadium this size would probably cost anywhere between 80-100 million dollars, not exactly pocket change.

Then again, it could be much more or less. I'm not too familiar with stadium costs.

Some things can be re-used from Taylor field, such as the new field-turf, the Maxtron, etc. And maybe the city could donate the land. Those things could save several million dollars, it's hard to tell.
     
     
  #1983  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:00 AM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Hey Reginaguy, do you mind if I post your work on Riderville.com???
     
     
  #1984  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:01 AM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
It's hard to say, because cost would dependant on a lot of things, especially the rising costs of building materials and Saskatchewan's growing labour shortage. Not to mention this is just a rather quick concept

But at today's prices, in Regina's market, a stadium this size would probably cost anywhere between 80-100 million dollars, not exactly pocket change.

Then again, it could be much more or less. I'm not too familiar with stadium costs.

Some things can be re-used from Taylor field, such as the new field-turf, the Maxtron, etc. And maybe the city could donate the land. Those things could save several million dollars, it's hard to tell.
Honestly, that is peanuts for how long it will last and the ancillary impact to the downtown area. The city should be looking at relocating the yards but it is unlikely as CP may not want to, etc. But if the yards are to be moved the city should start a reserve fund for a new stadium now, have a lottery, issue more shares, etc. Start stuffing the money away now.

Would be better to sink the first level below ground ?

See I'm not all negative and political, but there is a political side to this.
     
     
  #1985  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:01 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
I can't stand Mosaic. Great atmosphere but that seating just kills me.
     
     
  #1986  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:04 AM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I can't stand Mosaic. Great atmosphere but that seating just kills me.
It's funny because if you get too many "large" people in any given row, everyone won't fit! It can get pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours.
     
     
  #1987  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:04 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Honestly, that is peanuts for how long it will last and the ancillary impact to the downtown area. The city should be looking at relocating the yards but it is unlikely as CP may not want to, etc. But if the yards are to be moved the city should start a reserve fund for a new stadium now, have a lottery, issue more shares, etc. Start stuffing the money away now.

See I'm not all negative and political, but there is a political side to this.
I think relocating the yeards is deffinetly a long term plan. I think it's a necessity to move them, even if CP doesn't want to bear the costs, the city should do it.

Of course if a new stadium were built, Saskatoon would probably expect that it be built in their city.
     
     
  #1988  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:05 AM
yeeg yeeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW calgary
Posts: 360
Not that I'm complaining but the stadium looks much like Commonwealth...Also, the seats on the sideline in each endzone should have more of an angle on it so that fans wouldnt have to crank their heads so much...To me it looks like a 50,000+ stadium rather than the 30,000 number you suggested...Other than that, it looks fabulous...If Regina actually built that, I might even come back to Regina for a look see...
     
     
  #1989  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:05 AM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
building the parking underneeth it!!! and put bus stops at the entrinces
That's a great idea, and it would be really nice to have underground parking, but unfortunately underground parking can cost up to $60/sq ft. That would come to an extra $50-60 million for 5000 spaces.

Which isn't much, but another problem would be security. It wouldn't take much for some nutcase to drive a truck full of fertilizer into the parking garage and kill 5,000 people during the grey cup. The garage could be reinforced, but that's even more money

I'm trying to figure out what to do with parking right now. I want to have as little surface parking as I can. But realistically, I think the best option is to try and hide the parking with landscaping, and maybe have a small parkade
     
     
  #1990  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:05 AM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I think relocating the yeards is deffinetly a long term plan. I think it's a necessity to move them, even if CP doesn't want to bear the costs, the city should do it.

Of course if a new stadium were built, Saskatoon would probably expect that it be built in their city.
     
     
  #1991  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:06 AM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I think relocating the yeards is deffinetly a long term plan. I think it's a necessity to move them, even if CP doesn't want to bear the costs, the city should do it.

Of course if a new stadium were built, Saskatoon would probably expect that it be built in their city.
A good reason to fund it entirely in Regina, no provincial dollars. Then they can't cry.

CP won't have bear any costs, the land is theirs outright. The Dominion land act granted them ownership of the areas around their rail lines.
     
     
  #1992  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:08 AM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
That's a great idea, and it would be really nice to have underground parking, but unfortunately underground parking can cost up to $60/sq ft. That would come to an extra $50-60 million for 5000 spaces.

Which isn't much, but another problem would be security. It wouldn't take much for some nutcase to drive a truck full of fertilizer into the parking garage and kill 5,000 people during the grey cup. The garage could be reinforced, but that's even more money

I'm trying to figure out what to do with parking right now. I want to have as little surface parking as I can. But realistically, I think the best option is to try and hide the parking with landscaping, and maybe have a small parkade
A parkade could probably work...
     
     
  #1993  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:09 AM
yeeg yeeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW calgary
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post

Would be better to sink the first level below ground ?
I think it would be a fabulous idea to sink the first level into the ground...If not the first level, at least a portion of it...It would make the walk to the top a lot easier for all fans...

IMO, another huge consideration when it comes to building a new stadium would be to ensure that the concourse is a fan friendly place...
     
     
  #1994  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:10 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
A good reason to fund it entirely in Regina, no provincial dollars. Then they can't cry.

CP won't have bear any costs, the land is theirs outright. The Dominion land act granted them ownership of the areas around their rail lines.
Oh my mistake. I thought in other cities where they've done relocation CP was a willing participant.
     
     
  #1995  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:13 AM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Hey Reginaguy, do you mind if I post your work on Riderville.com???
I'd be flattered, with due credit of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I can't stand Mosaic. Great atmosphere but that seating just kills me.
You'll be happy to know that I calculated the capacity giving each seat 0.5 square meters. The current seating at taylor field probably only has something like 0.25 square meters/seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
Not that I'm complaining but the stadium looks much like Commonwealth...Also, the seats on the sideline in each endzone should have more of an angle on it so that fans wouldnt have to crank their heads so much...To me it looks like a 50,000+ stadium rather than the 30,000 number you suggested...Other than that, it looks fabulous...If Regina actually built that, I might even come back to Regina for a look see...
Thanks, I appreciate the creative criticsm, and I do agree, the angle is a bit extreme. I was trying to balance the curve between being at the right angle and being close enough to the sidelines. My reasoning is that the current stadium is much much worse . But it is a work in progress, and I am taking suggestions. I only started the drawing yesterday
     
     
  #1996  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:16 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
That's a great idea, and it would be really nice to have underground parking, but unfortunately underground parking can cost up to $60/sq ft. That would come to an extra $50-60 million for 5000 spaces.

Which isn't much, but another problem would be security. It wouldn't take much for some nutcase to drive a truck full of fertilizer into the parking garage and kill 5,000 people during the grey cup. The garage could be reinforced, but that's even more money

I'm trying to figure out what to do with parking right now. I want to have as little surface parking as I can. But realistically, I think the best option is to try and hide the parking with landscaping, and maybe have a small parkade
your joking right? god then you minus well ban vending macheans incase some one stash's a nuke in it............

well have bus stops right near the front doors!!! then but acres and acres of parking is stupid!!!!!!!!!
     
     
  #1997  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:16 AM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Would be better to sink the first level below ground ?
Good suggestion, I actually initally played around with having half of the lower-bowl at ground level. (basically up to the roof of the Dewdney Ave Entrance), A lot like the brandt Centre is

I can't remember why I ended up making it all above ground though, I think it was simply because I thought it would look a little funny
     
     
  #1998  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:19 AM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Oh my mistake. I thought in other cities where they've done relocation CP was a willing participant.
I don't have immediate knowledge of the proceedings involved in relocating CP or any rail yards, but I have a suspicion that CP was probably compensated for their cooperation very well.
     
     
  #1999  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:20 AM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Good suggestion, I actually initally played around with having half of the lower-bowl at ground level. (basically up to the roof of the Dewdney Ave Entrance), A lot like the brandt Centre is

I can't remember why I ended up making it all above ground though, I think it was simply because I thought it would look a little funny
I've noticed in the USA most stadiums are sunk down but up here they tend to build them on the ground.

Any reason, soil or cost ?
     
     
  #2000  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:21 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
I don't have immediate knowledge of the proceedings involved in relocating CP or any rail yards, but I have a suspicion that CP was probably compensated for their cooperation very well.
Yeah, that's most likely true. I guess we just have to hope that those involved can pull through with this container initiative. I don't think there is a more obvious move to developing downtown and the Warehouse district. As I've said these areas would develop together and not seperately as they would have easy access via foot.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.