HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1941  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified....story?coll=chi-classifiedrealestate-hed

Dramatic views from Museum Park Place

Published April 1, 2007

High above Soldier Field, Burnham Harbor and other South Loop landmarks, a two-bedroom, two-bath unit at 1841 S. Calumet Ave. offers dramatic city views. In the new Museum Park Place, it's one of about 300 residences in a high-rise atop street level town homes.

Red girders adorn the building, distinguishing Museum Park Place in a neighborhood awash in development. The area's new construction contrasts with 19th Century homes along Prairie Avenue, a historic district one block west.

The front door to unit 1802 opens on dark-stained hardwood floors. Track lighting illuminates the hallway and the 10-by-12-foot open kitchen on the left. Generous black granite countertops, black appliances including a dishwasher and double-door refrigerator with to-the-door ice and water and birch cabinets stained a maple color give the space drama.

A breakfast bar separates the kitchen from the 14-by-24-foot living room. A wall of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the lake draws attention. To the right, a door leads onto a balcony with walls painted red to match the building's girders.

On a brilliant fall day the spectacular view might be accompanied by crowd noise from a Bears game. On any clear day, Navy Pier, McCormick Place, Burnham Harbor and Indiana can be seen.

Back at the front door, a double folding door coat closet on the right is followed by the door to the 12-by-14-foot master bedroom. Carpeted in low beige pile, the bedroom has the same floor-to-ceiling view as the living room.

A short hall on the right side of the bedroom passes a linen closet and a large walk-in closet, ending at the private bathroom. The bath features a pair of sinks and a large shower stall with white tile walls.

On the opposite side of the living room, an 8-by-10-foot open alcove with track lighting could serve as a dining area or home office. On the left of this area, a louvered-door closet holds a stacked washer and dryer. Another door leads into the second bathroom, with a single sink and a bathtub.

The door to the 10-by-11-foot second bedroom, on the right side of the alcove, has beige low pile carpeting and a double folding door closet. Another wall of floor-to-ceiling windows provides similar lake views.

All of the units' windows sport vertical blinds. Building amenities include an outdoor pool, fitness center and party room on the 23rd floor; a bicycle storage room; individual storage lockers; and 24-hour front-door security personnel.

A pedestrian underpass at 18th Street leads to the lakefront and Northerly Island. The island offers strolling paths lined with wild prairie grasses, casual play areas and a great view of the city's skyline.

The 18th Street Metra station is just east of the building. West of the building, CTA buses on Indiana and Michigan Avenues run to the Loop.

For rental information, call 312-685-6505

- - -

Address: 1841 S. Calumet Ave., Chicago

Size: Two bedrooms, two baths

Rent: $2,200

Security deposit: One month's rent

Utilities: Tenant pays electricity

Parking: $145 per month for indoor garage

Pets: No
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #1942  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 1:51 PM
X-fib X-fib is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 220
I think it it is fair to say that the current Chicago construction boom (as projected) is incredible in terms of the quantity, quality and sheer scale of the changes to the skyline that are taking place. With eagerly anticipated announcements of even more super towers suggested here 2007 may well be the peak of this boom.

But I wonder if historically is the greatest in terms of number and impact on the City. Certainly in terms building starts the decade or so following the 1871 fire was probably the most significant. Technically and architectually innovative they transformed the city from its pre-1871 past and set the city on a course for the development and evolution of the skyscraper.

I don't have access to construction records but it wouldn't surprise me if the ca1920s comes close to challenging todays Chicago boom in terms of numbers and their effect on Chicago.

In terms of the most significant impact on the skyline the late 1960s and early 1970s ranks as the most important period in my opinion. Chicago went from a handful of 600 footers prior prior to 1968 to adding Sears, JHC, Standar Oil (Aon), Watertower, First National (Chase). The addition of these five buildings alone had on almost indiscribable impact on the City's skyline, totally transforming the cities image. I count myself fortunate to having witnessed this period that ended with Sears as its culmination and exclamation point.

Is todays boom as historically significant as any of these three? Historians will certainy look back and point out the heavilly residential character of the boom, an important point in itself. I'll say this: If CS is built with the anticiapted announcements of at least two more 1000r's than I would say that the current boom is the most significant in the history of the city. But without CS, than I would say no, it is not. The quantity of new buildings currently u/c adds tremendous depth and density but without the focal and architectual impact of CS the current boom doesn't measure up to the imprtance of the previous three, in my view anyway.
     
     
  #1943  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:29 PM
Eventually...Chicago Eventually...Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 450
Museum Park West is drilling caissons now
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world"- Frank Lloyd Wright

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin
     
     
  #1944  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 3:22 PM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-fib View Post
I think it it is fair to say that the current Chicago construction boom (as projected) is incredible in terms of the quantity, quality and sheer scale of the changes to the skyline that are taking place. With eagerly anticipated announcements of even more super towers suggested here 2007 may well be the peak of this boom.

But I wonder if historically is the greatest in terms of number and impact on the City. Certainly in terms building starts the decade or so following the 1871 fire was probably the most significant. Technically and architectually innovative they transformed the city from its pre-1871 past and set the city on a course for the development and evolution of the skyscraper.

I don't have access to construction records but it wouldn't surprise me if the ca1920s comes close to challenging todays Chicago boom in terms of numbers and their effect on Chicago.

In terms of the most significant impact on the skyline the late 1960s and early 1970s ranks as the most important period in my opinion. Chicago went from a handful of 600 footers prior prior to 1968 to adding Sears, JHC, Standar Oil (Aon), Watertower, First National (Chase). The addition of these five buildings alone had on almost indiscribable impact on the City's skyline, totally transforming the cities image. I count myself fortunate to having witnessed this period that ended with Sears as its culmination and exclamation point.

Is todays boom as historically significant as any of these three? Historians will certainy look back and point out the heavilly residential character of the boom, an important point in itself. I'll say this: If CS is built with the anticiapted announcements of at least two more 1000r's than I would say that the current boom is the most significant in the history of the city. But without CS, than I would say no, it is not. The quantity of new buildings currently u/c adds tremendous depth and density but without the focal and architectual impact of CS the current boom doesn't measure up to the imprtance of the previous three, in my view anyway.
I don't know how I feel about proportions. Is a city of 10 people doubling equal in magnitude to a city of 1000 doubling? I agree CS NEEDS to be built to seal the deal.

Personally, i think the shift to modern glass it one of the most exciting parts of the boom..its adding a whole new decades to the skyline...depth and color that was not there before. Also, the loop is becoming a residential area. If those residents stick around, we could see a dramatic shift in the downtown. Though honestly, Millinneum Park is just as much a cornerstone of the Boom as CS would be...and we shouldn't negate its influence on the Boom.
     
     
  #1945  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 5:59 PM
Marcu Marcu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,649
Investor plans new hotel, addition near O’Hare


By Alby Gallun
March 31, 2007

(Crain’s) — A little-known hotel investor plans to build a 320-room Element hotel, a new extended-stay brand launched by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc., on a property just east of O’Hare International Airport.
Chicago-based A&A Hospitality LLC has filed plans with the city of Chicago to redevelop an existing 122-room Wyndham Garden Inn at 8201 W. Higgins Road.

A&A wants to demolish part of the Wyndham to make room for the new 17-story Element hotel and also plans a nine-story addition to the existing hotel, a two-level building that abuts the Kennedy Expressway. The two hotels would have a total of 502 rooms.

Starwood unveiled its Element brand last September, saying it planned to build 500 hotels worldwide. A spokeswoman at the White Plains, N.Y.-based hotel company declines to discuss Starwood’s plans for the Chicago area.

“Chicago is definitely a market that we’re looking at but we don’t have any definitive deals in place,” she says.

A&A is one of several local developers with hotel projects in the works amid the strongest hotel market the area has seen since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Calls to A&A and the firm’s attorney were not returned.

A&A bought the hotel out of foreclosure for $10 million in 2003, according to property records. The property is encumbered by a $19-million loan from Elmhurst-based Suburban Bank & Trust.

The hotel project would include 342 parking spaces, 30,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space and 10,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, according to the zoning application filed with the city.
     
     
  #1946  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 7:16 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
353 N. Clark and OMPW

Could they have started construction on the same day? If not, certainly very close...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1947  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 7:22 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Silver Tower projected groundbreaking

Just curious DanTheDiscoMan - did someone at the sales center mention this projected groundbreaking date (May 1)? I've been inquring as well and they repeatedly wouldn't commit to a date, just a "this spring" response.........I'm hoping they have financing wrapped up and do have a solid date to move on this one - I think it's a decent project...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1948  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:01 PM
museumparktom museumparktom is offline
Chicagotom SSC
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
Museum Park West is drilling caissons now
I know that they have been drilling small bore caissons that look like they are using for a retaining wall around the entire perimeter of the site but I haven’t seen the Big Drills yet.
     
     
  #1949  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:01 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,249
I like silver tower as well...I would of easily guessed this project would of started construction a long time ago..I mean they passed the 50% barrier more than a year ago...i wouldnt see why they could not get financing
     
     
  #1950  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:12 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by museumparktom View Post
I know that they have been drilling small bore caissons that look like they are using for a retaining wall around the entire perimeter of the site but I haven’t seen the Big Drills yet.
Hey Dan in Chicago, can this be considered under construction? I also saw them drilling mini-piles or whatever, but wasn't sure if this was enough to change the status.
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #1951  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:40 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
I like silver tower as well...I would of easily guessed this project would of started construction a long time ago..I mean they passed the 50% barrier more than a year ago...i wouldnt see why they could not get financing

It would surprise me as well if financing were a major problem - unless if there were some serious issues with the developer's pro-forma (for instance if they severely underestimated construction inflation over the past couple years or whatever). If the delay has been not financial and instead related to the change in plan for the loft building next door (from office to residential lofts), this confuses me somewhat as well - I don't know why they would risk delay on the tower itself for a change that it would seem could probably just as easily be accomplished during construction. Anyone know what's going on behind the scenes with this one?
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1952  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:47 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Superior 110, Walton on the Park

Just a couple items I noticed in the Sunday Tribune today:

- The ad for Superior 110 now states it is under construction. Anyone notice new activity at the site last week? If not, perhaps they will begin this week. I'm looking forward to this one - I think it might wind up pretty solid...

- There was a new ad for Walton on the Park (in addition to the ad that has been running continuously for a few months). Check out the small new rendering at the bottom - this is a different perspective looking head-on at the narrow sides of both towers. I like this project a lot more seeing it from this vantage point! From this direction it loses the bulk and I think the proportions look nice. I have to admit, my initial reaction to this design (I was so hopeful given the descriptions of the earlier design) was that it would be a clunker. I am definitely coming around on this development, though...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1953  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:50 PM
jcchii's Avatar
jcchii jcchii is offline
Content provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: city on the take
Posts: 3,118
CS would be the exclamation point on this boom for sure
     
     
  #1954  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 9:56 PM
Eventually...Chicago Eventually...Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 450
i have a pretty good view of Museum Park West from above, i'll post some pictures of the site and then we can deliberate on if it should be considered "under construction"!

I was curious about this...
It seems that most buildings u/c (especially the high profile ones) are working 7 days a week and near round the clock (as city ord. allows). OMP crews are only on site 5 days a week. This just seemed odd to me that they are not going at a break-neck pace to enclose it ASAP. Even the columbian crews have people on site on saturdays & sundays. They only thing i could think of is that they are waiting for concrete to cure before they can move on. Or they just are not in a huge hurry. Anyone else have any perspective on this?
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world"- Frank Lloyd Wright

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin
     
     
  #1955  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 10:19 PM
Sir Isaac Newton Sir Isaac Newton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
i have a pretty good view of Museum Park West from above, i'll post some pictures of the site and then we can deliberate on if it should be considered "under construction"!

I was curious about this...
It seems that most buildings u/c (especially the high profile ones) are working 7 days a week and near round the clock (as city ord. allows). OMP crews are only on site 5 days a week. This just seemed odd to me that they are not going at a break-neck pace to enclose it ASAP. Even the columbian crews have people on site on saturdays & sundays. They only thing i could think of is that they are waiting for concrete to cure before they can move on. Or they just are not in a huge hurry. Anyone else have any perspective on this?
It's funny that you mention this as I was thinking about this just yesterday. However, my impression was that it was the norm to only have crews on site, 5 days a week. I was thinking this because I noticed that 900 South Clark has crews working on Saturday, for a total of 6 days a week....whereas almost all of the other buildings in the near vicinity (Vetro, Printers Corner, Burnham Pointe, etc.) only have crews on site 5 days a week.

You definitely may be right about how high-profile buidings will more likely be worked on 24-7...I also wonder if developments such as Block 37, whose construction is right in the thick of things and is more of an impediment, have more incentive to finish construction as soon as they possibly can? (and thus are building practically 24-7)
     
     
  #1956  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 6:17 AM
Dan in Chicago's Avatar
Dan in Chicago Dan in Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
There was a new ad for Walton on the Park (in addition to the ad that has been running continuously for a few months). Check out the small new rendering at the bottom - this is a different perspective looking head-on at the narrow sides of both towers. I like this project a lot more seeing it from this vantage point! From this direction it loses the bulk and I think the proportions look nice. I have to admit, my initial reaction to this design (I was so hopeful given the descriptions of the earlier design) was that it would be a clunker. I am definitely coming around on this development, though...
Yes, but the clunky side will still be visible when it's built. The new rendering shows the project's best angle because it makes the towers look slender, but only residents of the Elysian will enjoy that view. The renderings look nice and clean (as drawings), but we know what to expect from the materials. I don't think anyone will be thrilled when it's finished. It looks like two big Lancasters on top of a Grand Plaza podium.
__________________
Gallery, list, & map of all Chicago high-rises under construction

Last edited by Dan in Chicago; Apr 2, 2007 at 7:08 AM.
     
     
  #1957  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 6:21 AM
Dan in Chicago's Avatar
Dan in Chicago Dan in Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Hey Dan in Chicago, can this be considered under construction? I also saw them drilling mini-piles or whatever, but wasn't sure if this was enough to change the status.
I walked by the site last night and got cement all over my shoes. If they're only doing earth retention, which it looks like, I would wait until real foundation work starts.
__________________
Gallery, list, & map of all Chicago high-rises under construction
     
     
  #1958  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
Yes, but the clunky side will still be visible when it's built. The new rendering shows the project's best angle because it makes the towers look slender, but only residents of the Elysian will enjoy that view. The renderings look nice and clean (as drawings), but we know what to expect from the materials. I don't think anyone will be thrilled when it's finished. It looks like two big Lancasters on top of a Grand Plaza podium.

Unfortunately these are cold, sobering truths that you speak...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1959  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 2:20 PM
Nowhereman1280 Nowhereman1280 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pungent Onion, Illinois
Posts: 8,423
If Walton on the park is one the worst, clunkiest of the designs of this boom, I am pretty satisfied. I mean the skyline wouldn't look good at all if all buildings had the profile of the Park Towers, Chicago Spires, Legacies, Waterviews, and Trumps of this boom (just to name a couple of them). I think we are pretty fourtunate and that a clunker or two might just be somewhat good placeholders that can be torn down in 25 years and replaced by a nice, much more expensive, and much taller building...
     
     
  #1960  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 2:21 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,526
i forgot to walk past the 353 n clark site this mornign does anyone know of the big drill rigs are spinning yet?
__________________
"Missing middle" housing can be a marvelous middle ground for many middle class families.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.