HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #581  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:51 PM
Daquan13 Daquan13 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East Boston, MA. USA
Posts: 7,746
The OTHER towers should help supplement the Freedom Tower and make up for the total square feet of office space lost on 09-11, and then some.
     
     
  #582  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
CoolCzech's Avatar
CoolCzech CoolCzech is offline
Frigidus Maximus
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,618
An unpopular feature of the old Twins was that so many occupants had no windows. Only solution to that, for a tower of equal height like the FT, is to have less floor space. Most occupants will view that as a plus.
__________________
http://tinyurl.com/2acxb5t


I ❤️ NY
     
     
  #583  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:05 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbee84 View Post
I have a question about the freedom tower, is it just me- or does it look like the FT has less office space/volume than one of the old WTC?
The FT has about 65 % the volume of one of the old Twin Towers. As a result, you get 3 supertowers and two very tall towers (5 new towers) instead of just 2 towers.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #584  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
We can't even replace one of the original WTC towers, let alone both. Isn't that sad...!
What's sad is the repeated ignorance of your comments.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #585  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:08 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
the columns still look out of place, just seems like they can't be part of the tower
You're right, they're out of place. Looks like we're doomed for more delays when they finally realize what you've known all along....
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #586  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:09 AM
CoolCzech's Avatar
CoolCzech CoolCzech is offline
Frigidus Maximus
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,618
I find it amusing that binary would point to some tower in Madrid that looks in very many ways like the FT's twin and carry on about how superior its design is. Just goes to show that the merits of the FT's design have little to do with his rants...
__________________
http://tinyurl.com/2acxb5t


I ❤️ NY
     
     
  #587  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:24 AM
DUBAI2015's Avatar
DUBAI2015 DUBAI2015 is offline
Yippie Ka Yay!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Medford Oregon, US of A
Posts: 502
I think placing the steel I-beams was just a publicity stunt to get attention to the Freedom Tower.
If you look at the two months after the beams were placed, nothing happened with the I-beams themselves.
__________________
Game Show question: Why do women rub their eyes when they first wake up?

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?
     
     
  #588  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:57 AM
ramvid01 ramvid01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Qnz-NYC
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
I think placing the steel I-beams was just a publicity stunt to get attention to the Freedom Tower.
If you look at the two months after the beams were placed, nothing happened with the I-beams themselves.
The steel beams were placed too early, but the building itself is moving along (the core will start rising shortly).
     
     
  #589  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:58 AM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
I think placing the steel I-beams was just a publicity stunt to get attention to the Freedom Tower.
If you look at the two months after the beams were placed, nothing happened with the I-beams themselves.
Not that seeing the Freedom Tower on the news and in newspapers didn't garner any sort of attention.
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
  #590  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 1:11 AM
Daquan13 Daquan13 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East Boston, MA. USA
Posts: 7,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
I think placing the steel I-beams was just a publicity stunt to get attention to the Freedom Tower.
If you look at the two months after the beams were placed, nothing happened with the I-beams themselves.


It WAS a publicity stunt on Pataki's part.

He knew that the tower's steel frame is not scheduled to start soaring into the sky until sometime next year.
     
     
  #591  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:19 AM
CitySkyline's Avatar
CitySkyline CitySkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
An unpopular feature of the old Twins was that so many occupants had no windows. Only solution to that, for a tower of equal height like the FT, is to have less floor space. Most occupants will view that as a plus.
No pun intended, right?
     
     
  #592  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 8:12 AM
Milllos Milllos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 43
The red x is base for crane,maybe...
     
     
  #593  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 1:30 PM
Daquan13 Daquan13 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East Boston, MA. USA
Posts: 7,746
So glad to see that there is more construction activity on the tower!

The core and concrete support posts for the steel columns, at least, should be in full swing by this coming summer!
     
     
  #594  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:44 PM
Independence's Avatar
Independence Independence is offline
let's work together
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Straight up north
Posts: 146
Shouldn't the remains of the old WTC parking structure be demolished before FT construction begins?
It appears to be a little close to the FT's base...
Or are the remains kept in place?

I don't get it...
__________________
SOON TO BECOME AN ACTUAL SIGNATURE.
     
     
  #595  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:57 PM
Daquan13 Daquan13 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East Boston, MA. USA
Posts: 7,746
The outbound PATH track that goes back to New Jersey runs under that. The track has been relocated somewhat to accommodate the construction of the tower.

Holes were made there that reach deep into the bedrock to help support some of the giant columns for the tower.

My estimation is that that area will be covered up even more as the tower is built.

Besides, the building has been moved back several feet from the street to satisfy security concerns by the NYPD. So it should not have a bearing on whether one or the other will be interfering with each other.

Last edited by Daquan13; Apr 2, 2007 at 3:42 AM.
     
     
  #596  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 1:29 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Everywhere all at once
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SI NYC
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbee84 View Post
Hi,

The torre cristal is currentely being built in Madrid, Spain, part of a group of 4 skyscrapers of 226-250m (800 foot-ish)







It is quite similar in design, apart from the spike thing.

I have a thread on these towers if anyone wants to read more about them:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=118065

or see my time lapse evolution video of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwQlvaGa5c

Greetings from Madrid,

I hope to visit NY one of these days
oh haha thats torre cristal, yea i kno about CTBA, i wasnt sure if that was torre cristal or not.

Definitely come to NY someday its amazing, and i cant wait to come to spain
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
     
     
  #597  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 4:17 AM
rich_200's Avatar
rich_200 rich_200 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 4,143
The building at the left is an exact copy of a building in Monterrey, Mexico, that guy copied as well the freedom tower. He is doing exactly what they are doing in Dubai, STEALING DESIGNS!! why can´t they be original?

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=4710
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=104481&page=22&highlight=Torre+CNCI
     
     
  #598  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
CoolCzech's Avatar
CoolCzech CoolCzech is offline
Frigidus Maximus
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,618
Yeah, yeah, and every rectangular shaped tower standing on its end is an exact copy of what they are doing in every city in the Whole Wide World of Sports.... gimme a break.
__________________
http://tinyurl.com/2acxb5t


I ❤️ NY
     
     
  #599  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
CoolCzech's Avatar
CoolCzech CoolCzech is offline
Frigidus Maximus
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySkyline View Post
No pun intended, right?
It would appear so...
__________________
http://tinyurl.com/2acxb5t


I ❤️ NY
     
     
  #600  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 2:05 PM
Daquan13 Daquan13 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East Boston, MA. USA
Posts: 7,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Yeah, yeah, and every rectangular shaped tower standing on its end is an exact copy of what they are doing in every city in the Whole Wide World of Sports.... gimme a break.


Yeah, you're right, ColCzech!!

I'm really not interested in skyscrapers being built overseas, since I'll probably never see them there.

I just want to visit the Freedom Tower when it's done. Also, the other towers on the land.

But the next time I go to Windy City, I think I'll visit the JHC, since I haven't visited the obs deck there yet. I visited the one in the Sears Tower several times.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:51 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.