HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #601  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:11 AM
benhol's Avatar
benhol benhol is offline
SacSkyScraper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sacto-burbs
Posts: 219
For any of you that would like to put in your 2-cents worth in on our lets-talk-it-to-death mayor, the Sac Business Journal is having a poll: "Is Mayor Fargo an effective leader for business?"
Currently, she stands at a 66% "NO"... (or HECK NO). 17% said "Yes" for some reason or other... and another 17% are "Not Sure"... (beats me why anyone would vote in a poll that is "Not Sure"...).
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #602  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:17 AM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
I don't think she stands much chance of being re-elected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #603  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:22 AM
brandon12 brandon12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 998
^oh I think she does. I'm not saying she will, but she certainly stands a good chance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #604  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:28 AM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088
I'm not a fan of hers as some of you know, but I think there is a good chance she
will hold the key to the city for a third term. At this early stage we can
make up a perfect candidate in our heads to beat her... but when it comes
time to vote as well as who will have the most money because of experience,
I think she will have nice $$$ to tap in to.

I bet if the same poll were in the Bee she would win by ten points or so. The
SBJ has a different type of reader than the average paper.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #605  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:28 AM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
You think so? It just seems like more people think she hasn't done a good job in the last year or so. I'm not sure how the annoucement of her having MS will affect her either, good or bad.

She seems like that baseball coach who has a team from when they were in tee-ball, but now that they are in high school they can't teach them anymore or take them any further. Almost like the issues that the city has faced are out of her league.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #606  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:29 AM
BrianSac's Avatar
BrianSac BrianSac is offline
CHACUN SON GOÛT
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
their are many great things about this city that aren't dependent on luxury high-rises being built. many great European cities have few if any skyscrapers. Frankfurt is the 'Manhattan' of Germany with many skyscrapers but hardly anyone will claim they prefer it to Berlin. If we don't get these built Sac will still be a great city. The in-fill projects aren't slowing down and the vibe of this city will only get better as more urbanites fill those residences.
I hear ya. I agree. BUT, I like skyscrapers. Especially in SacTown. I like what we have, but I want a few more. Cities that have flat landscapes really benefit aesthetically from high-rises, imo. I'd be happy with one 700 footer, shaped like Chicagos Fordham, One really awesome signature tower is all that I'm asking for.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #607  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:33 AM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,790
At this point, I don't even think I would vote for her with her recent inaction on Aura and the Towers. It shows a complete lack of leadership. I think Heather Fargo means well. She just lacks the leadership abilities to execute the big projects that could really bring Sacramento to the next level. Unfortunately, I'll be 2 miles outside the city limits and will not be eligible to vote! WHEN WILL SACRAMENTO ANNEX ROSEMONT!!?!?!?!??!?!

By the way, does anyone know if there are any plans to annex any county areas? I know this has been asked before. But, I remember recently reading about the city wanting to annex an area in South Sac (the SE side of the Sacramento mailing addresses). I think I remember that area having more than 60,000 residents. Anyone know about this or other annexation plans?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #608  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:40 AM
brandon12 brandon12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 998
^in fairness, it's probably difficult to blame Fargo for the Towers' and Aura's current difficulties. The city (at least to the extent that is public knowledge) has come through (or in Aura's case, looks willing to come through) with what has been asked of them.

But in general, I like Sugit's baseball team metaphor. The city council behaves as if they're running a city the size of Galt. They're just in over their heads, but that's the kind of leadership that most Sacramento voters identify with. In general, Sacramento voters are far less sophisticated than they like to give themselves credit for.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #609  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:46 AM
BrianSac's Avatar
BrianSac BrianSac is offline
CHACUN SON GOÛT
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,646
Regarding Ms. Fargo:

I have mixed emotions about Heather. I still hold her in high-esteem for the original push for a downtown areana. The one where the city manager sabotaged the whole thing. I think the Kings sabotaged it too because they really didnt want a DOWNTOWN arena, natomas yes, but not downtown.

Heather really stuck her neck out on that orginal downtown plan. She got burned badly, and I noticed, thereafter, she never pushed for the arena as hard; she let R. Dickenson and Fong take over. Regarding the last arena attempt, I think she didn't want it to go to a vote as early as it did, neither did I, I thought that was a huge mistake, I knew neither the BEE nor the people would support it....(I voted YES on Q&R).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #610  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:50 AM
Web Web is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
Anyone know about this or other annexation plans?
Arden Arcade area is trying for a vote......county is very opposed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #611  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:50 AM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
I haven't seen enough of him yet, but I do like the leadership-like qualities (not just from the arena), speaking ability (though he can be long winded) and people skills Fong seems to have. He has that intangable ability to talk to people at their level to convey his thoughts and points.]

Quote:
I think the Kings sabotaged it too because they really didnt want a DOWNTOWN arena, natomas yes, but not downtown.
I feel the same way.

Last edited by sugit; Mar 28, 2007 at 3:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #612  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:55 AM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
Arden Arcade area is trying for a vote......county is very opposed
I knew about that...and with the recent successes of Rancho Cordova, I'm very excited and hope that more communities will jump on that bandwagon (ie. Carmichael!).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #613  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:55 AM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600
i figure Cohn or Fong will run right past her.

i kinda like the level headedness she exudes, but sometimes taking the middle road leads to nowhere. i do fear that a replacement could possibly have a much less downtown-minded agenda, though. And it would be a shame to have all this build up, only to languish on the back burner of new leadership.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #614  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:56 AM
brandon12 brandon12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 998
^re: Fong- I agree. Very polished. He has successful politician written all over him. I have no idea how much of his politics I agree with (for example, he's obiously in bed with the land park nimbys), but he does have a Bill Clinton-like charisma.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #615  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:57 AM
brandon12 brandon12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
...taking the middle road leads to nowhere...
you nailed it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #616  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:02 AM
BrianSac's Avatar
BrianSac BrianSac is offline
CHACUN SON GOÛT
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
Those are great Briansac . You just about made me — my pants. How about Sacramento, "Land of Missed Opportunity. Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses ....... and we will all house them around K street." This is alotta fun....
arod74, aint in the truth,


downtownserg's: whackramento, and dramamento ain't bad either,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #617  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:04 AM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
do fear that a replacement could possibly have a much less downtown-minded agenda, though. And it would be a shame to have all this build up, only to languish on the back burner of new leadership.
I don't think that's a problem if Cohn or Fong are elected. For one thing, part of each of their current disticts are within the grid. Fong has long been involved in the arts and culture scene in Sac, and both have been regular downtown and midtown boasters.

Quote:
Bill Clinton-like charisma
I can totally see that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #618  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:08 AM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600

"I did not have — relations with the LPCA"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #619  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:15 AM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
LOL... Poor guy just got politially labeled. Nice job Brandon and TD
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #620  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 5:12 AM
Trojan's Avatar
Trojan Trojan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 224
Well Cohn was against the whole Railyard thing [right?] so I don't see how anyone could like him on this forum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.