HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1601  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 12:01 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post
On this beautiful day in Chicago I walked by 600 N Fairbanks to look at the glass. This glass seems crystal clear. I'm concerned what this is going to look like from the outside once the units are occupied. With all of the different window treatments and shades this will look not so great. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I think that if you have concerns about this, then you have to be concerned about Trump Tower, One Museum Park and any other project that uses transparent glass.
     
     
  #1602  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:56 PM
Chicago3rd Chicago3rd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island
Posts: 8,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
I changed 353 N Clark back to "approved" on Emporis. You doubters out there shook my belief in that caisson. Don't know if anyone's noticed, but there's another false caisson or tunnel shaft south of the Aqua site, where the future project is supposed to go. (This is in addition to the 2 false caissons at the Aqua site before construction started.)
Yeah...I think the basket being there shows us that they are lowering people down the hole. Just looking back at other cassion photos of other properties and don't see that basket hanging around.
     
     
  #1603  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:14 PM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropius View Post
It's not that bad, really. There ought to be a lower-end (relatively, anyway) segment of the high-rise residential market so it's not only the super-rich that can enjoy that kind of density.
There already is plenty of it. Edgewater, Sandburg Village.....basically, in 30 years many of these will be middle-class, entry-level highrise residences like those in older highrises. You can easily rent a high-floor studio or 1 bedroom in an older 60s highrise for under $1000/month.

And in terms of lower-class housing, highrises just do not make economic sense since there are a fair amount of inherent maintenance costs (see, Robert Taylor, Cabrini-Green, etc)
     
     
  #1604  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:22 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
I changed 353 N Clark back to "approved" on Emporis. You doubters out there shook my belief in that caisson.
fair enough. i've bumped it back down to site prep on page 1.
     
     
  #1605  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 4:22 PM
Marcu Marcu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
There already is plenty of it. Edgewater, Sandburg Village.....basically, in 30 years many of these will be middle-class, entry-level highrise residences like those in older highrises. You can easily rent a high-floor studio or 1 bedroom in an older 60s highrise for under $1000/month.

And in terms of lower-class housing, highrises just do not make economic sense since there are a fair amount of inherent maintenance costs (see, Robert Taylor, Cabrini-Green, etc)
I have a feeling as real estate prices continue to increase and as demand for higher end condos continues to increase (especially on the water where space is limited), some of those fugly high rises in edgewater, rogers park, and uptown will be recladded or torn down all together.
     
     
  #1606  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 4:38 PM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
I have a feeling as real estate prices continue to increase and as demand for higher end condos continues to increase (especially on the water where space is limited), some of those fugly high rises in edgewater, rogers park, and uptown will be recladded or torn down all together.
Believe it or not, 50s-60s-70s concrete residential highrises are growing on me. I mean some are undeniably awful, but maybe the fact that I live in one has made me appreciate the style and the context a bit more. Of course, they were revolutionary when built, in that nothing like them had been built before, and some of the better ones clearly exemplify some modernist, minimalist, and or brutalist characteristics. I think they make up an important part of Chicago's urban fabric and would hate to see many of them torn down.
     
     
  #1607  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 5:56 PM
trvlr70 trvlr70 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
I have a feeling as real estate prices continue to increase and as demand for higher end condos continues to increase (especially on the water where space is limited), some of those fugly high rises in edgewater, rogers park, and uptown will be recladded or torn down all together.
I've always thought the same thing. Unfortuneately, because they are, for the majority all residential co op's, there is little chance a condo board is ever going to assess the residents millions for a recladding. And it would be impossible to kick deeded people out.

Perfect example: 1000 Lake Shore Plaza. This is ground zero for the most optimal address in Chicago(Michigan Av. at Oak across from Oak St. beach) and this building is U-G-L-Y. I suppose if you're in it, you won't have to look at it.

So, this should serve as a lesson to developers to pay more special care with residential buildings.
     
     
  #1608  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 6:00 PM
trvlr70 trvlr70 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Believe it or not, 50s-60s-70s concrete residential highrises are growing on me. I mean some are undeniably awful, but maybe the fact that I live in one has made me appreciate the style and the context a bit more. Of course, they were revolutionary when built, in that nothing like them had been built before, and some of the better ones clearly exemplify some modernist, minimalist, and or brutalist characteristics. I think they make up an important part of Chicago's urban fabric and would hate to see many of them torn down.
True, but so many look so similar to public housing stock.
     
     
  #1609  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 6:40 PM
Loopy's Avatar
Loopy Loopy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 665
Many were built as HUD/FHA projects and became condos later. Unfortunately for the present owners, these buildings were designed to have a useful life of 50-75 years, and now must be maintained perpetually. This essentially requires that they be reconstructed, system by system, over the coming years.

Also, I agree with VivaLFuego. I like some of these buildings. They give cool European look to the skyline.
     
     
  #1610  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 7:20 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
fair enough. i've bumped it back down to site prep on page 1.

I got confirmation today that they are in fact working on the tunnels that run under the site at 353 Clark. There are infact 2 tunnels that tre there. One is an old freight tunnel, which has been bulkheaded alreaded, but they still need to inspect it and grout it.

There is also an old brick lined water tunnel that goes under the site. I was told that it's about 85' below the surface.
     
     
  #1611  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 9:47 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
Looks like that Metro Center 290 project was redesigned again...for the better
Now there appears to be two 20-30 story buildings instead of one.


     
     
  #1612  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:06 PM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
^ Not bad at all. The towers have a very Wells Street Tower feel to them. Have the SCB signature design elements gone too far?

The Eisenhower side of the cinema part has that suburban mall feeling though. I'd like to see more variety in the facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Believe it or not, 50s-60s-70s concrete residential highrises are growing on me. I mean some are undeniably awful, but maybe the fact that I live in one has made me appreciate the style and the context a bit more. Of course, they were revolutionary when built, in that nothing like them had been built before, and some of the better ones clearly exemplify some modernist, minimalist, and or brutalist characteristics. I think they make up an important part of Chicago's urban fabric and would hate to see many of them torn down.
Thank you!

Just give these things another few decades; many of them were very carefully designed. And, well, for the ones that still —... they're kind of cool just because they're so badddd.
     
     
  #1613  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:18 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Have the SCB signature design elements gone too far?
Perhaps. But how much should we expect from this location? This whole project actually looks much nicer than a lot of stuff going up around the city.

Quote:
The Eisenhower side of the cinema part has that suburban mall feeling though. I'd like to see more variety in the facade.
I agree that some of the sides are sort of dull, and this might partly be due to the cinema and lots of parking. However, I think overall they did a nice job with the big box retail facing the highway and smaller retail entrances along Jackson at street level, and also the health club (glass cube) at the top of the podium.

I just hope that the entire project WITH the two towers is approved.
     
     
  #1614  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:23 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I just hope that the entire project WITH the two towers is approved.
does this project (with the towers) have a snow ball's chance in hell with WLCO essentially running the show on anything west of halsted?
     
     
  #1615  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:30 PM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This whole project actually looks much nicer than a lot of stuff going up around the city. ... I think overall they did a nice job with the big box retail facing the highway and smaller retail entrances along Jackson at street level, and also the health club (glass cube) at the top of the podium.

I just hope that the entire project WITH the two towers is approved.
Couldn't agree more!
     
     
  #1616  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:31 PM
Chicago Shawn's Avatar
Chicago Shawn Chicago Shawn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Believe it or not, 50s-60s-70s concrete residential highrises are growing on me. I mean some are undeniably awful, but maybe the fact that I live in one has made me appreciate the style and the context a bit more. Of course, they were revolutionary when built, in that nothing like them had been built before, and some of the better ones clearly exemplify some modernist, minimalist, and or brutalist characteristics. I think they make up an important part of Chicago's urban fabric and would hate to see many of them torn down.

Agreed 110%! I too have really started to admire Chicago's '60s stock of buildings. I happen to love the Sheridan Road canyon, sure it may not be the most scenic stretch in town, but I love the density and the fact all the buildings were built in the same period. Its quite fun to compare and contrast the towers that came out well vs. the ones that didn't.



The new Chinatown hotel's official name is: Imperial Court Hotel Plaza.
The height to the top of the pagoda roof is 192'-0". This does not include two decorate scroll elements on the north and south ends of the roof which will bring up the total height to 193' or 194', there is not a deminsion avalible in the elevations provided in the PD application. So for now, main structrual height is 192'. The building will have ground floor retail facing both Archer and Clark, and the 15th floor will house a restaurant, with two outdoor roof terraces at the uppermost setback. There will be some pretty bitchen' skyline views from up there.

The architecture firm is based in Gurnee, I cruised thier website and discovered they also designed 1349 S. Wabash and the Granville.
     
     
  #1617  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:32 PM
Chicago Shawn's Avatar
Chicago Shawn Chicago Shawn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
does this project (with the towers) have a snow ball's chance in hell with WLCO essentially running the show on anything west of halsted?
Doubt it, but it should be interesting to watch this one.
     
     
  #1618  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 12:27 AM
brian_b brian_b is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I've always thought the same thing. Unfortuneately, because they are, for the majority all residential co op's, there is little chance a condo board is ever going to assess the residents millions for a recladding. And it would be impossible to kick deeded people out.

Perfect example: 1000 Lake Shore Plaza. This is ground zero for the most optimal address in Chicago(Michigan Av. at Oak across from Oak St. beach) and this building is U-G-L-Y. I suppose if you're in it, you won't have to look at it.

So, this should serve as a lesson to developers to pay more special care with residential buildings.
I think you're saying that most of these buildings are co-op's. If that's really what you're saying, then I disagree with you about special assessments. Since the co-op is a corporation and the residents are just shareholders, it seems like they would have more options available for financing than a condo building. I would think they could float a bond and then the residents can pay for the recladding over a number of years. Hell, some of the residents would probably end up buying some of the bonds. Wouldn't that be weird.
     
     
  #1619  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 12:34 AM
a chicago bearcat's Avatar
a chicago bearcat a chicago bearcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 328
a little off topic, but if that new megaproposal hinted at earlier is in fact the post office, I'll be torn

because I'd love to see something that brings it to a real life, one it never had before, but at the same time my more romantic dreamer side holds out for john ronan's urban mausoleum to be realized, so I can be interred there






Last edited by a chicago bearcat; Mar 15, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
     
     
  #1620  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 12:50 AM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
^ The revised Metro 290 project is pretty cool. Are there any west loop forumers that can be publicly in favor of this project? WLCO is going to go bananas when they see this, and we definitely need voices (CBP?) to try to convince residents and aldermen (Heithcock or Fioretti) that this will significantly improve the West Loop by adding much-needed density and retail options.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.