HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 9:40 PM
BorisMolotov's Avatar
BorisMolotov BorisMolotov is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 548
^ ^
However, he is a fan of 400+ foot spires, so you never know, it could very well break 1000.
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 9:46 PM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
I wish Carley a lot of luck. Even though he lost CS, we wouldn't have it without his vision.

The CS proposal might eventually be seen as the move that brought the notion of great architecture back to the forefront when building residential high-rises in this city.
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
nomarandlee's Avatar
nomarandlee nomarandlee is online now
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Undoubtedly - it's a long term trend with a lot of forward momentum, as demographic and lifestyle trends will lend strong support for at least the next 10-15 years...indeed, the skyscraper boom (albeit with ebbs and flows) will be sustained through 2020!! Call me the ultimate optimist...
Ultimate optimist

I do like his optimism about much left to be built since the baby boomer phenomena is just beginning. Hopefully his studying of the demographics and market conditions is spot on.
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 10:33 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROCK View Post
Look for a summer ground breaking on 235 VanBuren
Man, this one is moving quickly. I wish all projects could go this fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I'm looking forward to this one. I think I had read that the developers are going for a LEED Certification - can anyone here confirm this?
Yes.
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 11:25 PM
DANTHEDISCOMAN's Avatar
DANTHEDISCOMAN DANTHEDISCOMAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Downtown
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Has anyone ventured by the Staybridge Suites site in the last few days? In one of the recent articles, I think a groundbreaking date was mentioned - and I think it might have been last week...
I was going to snap a photo of the site today but I didn't want to waste my digital film on it...new signage for Extended stay hotels on the fence...that's it. I think they consider "ground breaking" as the amount of dirt that they kicked up by moving the Walsh construction mobile home onto the site.
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 2:42 AM
Chicago2020's Avatar
Chicago2020 Chicago2020 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,322
BREAKING NEWS

DALEY IS ELECTED TO A SIXTH TERM AS MAYOR OF THE CITY OF CHICAGO
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 2:51 AM
Chicago Shawn's Avatar
Chicago Shawn Chicago Shawn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,834
GOD BLESS KING RICHARD II! LONG LIVE THE KING
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 3:02 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
12 More Years!! 12 More Years!! 12 More Years!!





If Chicago gets the Olympics, he deserves to still be mayor at the time...
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 3:19 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
Oddly enough, in the wards with the most development (2nd and 42nd) the incumbents are not doing so well, which could mean a lot for the current boom (sorry, I had to make some kind of relationship )
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 3:30 AM
Chicago2020's Avatar
Chicago2020 Chicago2020 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,322
Well you know I was watching WGN here in Phoenix and an editor from the Trib said Daley has had a lot of success but some of the challenges he is facing is the exodus of 30+ year old adults with families out of chicago, and he also said the recent condo boom in chicago might hurt the city in the future if the economy goes downhill.

As a future resident of Chicago, and indeed anyone who is planning on moving to Chicago, will the condo boom have an effect on price of living?
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 3:33 AM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 7,608
Hmm. . . Natarus isn't doing so well. . . we'll see how this pans out. . .
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 4:35 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
Natarus conceded. If for nothing else, I'll miss him for his antics.
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 4:58 AM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,960
Would Natarus losing have implications for Chicago Spire ?
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:07 AM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
^ I highly doubt it.

I feel a tad sorry for Natarus.... but honestly, I think he was very arrogant and absent-minded. I think he's hurt that area as much as he helped.

As a result of this, I hope we'll see more sensible development in the 42nd, but I do not think there will be less of it.
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:09 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Oddly enough, in the wards with the most development (2nd and 42nd) the incumbents are not doing so well, which could mean a lot for the current boom (sorry, I had to make some kind of relationship )

My take is Natarus losing has to do with just an overall feeling that he is 'out of touch'...it's obviously way to early to tell, but I think Reilly might end up being pretty decent on development issues - I think he realizes the 42nd ward is the economic engine of the Midwest U.S.....still - it's really hard to believe that Natarus is gone - he's been alderman longer than I've been...period.....
     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:13 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
As a result of this, I hope we'll see more sensible development in the 42nd, but I do not think there will be less of it.[/QUOTE]


Totally agree - I highly doubt he has any intentions of slowing the boom. At least in his campaigning, his main position related to development seemed to be for more transparency....as for more sensible development, of course I hope he turns out that way as well, but I'm not sure what to expect (at any rate he can't be much worse than Natarus when it comes to a lot of planning-related issues, ie Natarus' reasoning for certain aspects of planning and development was often bizzare and nonsensical...
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:18 AM
Rocket1 Rocket1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post


Developer plans new tower
Carley to obtain site at Columbus, Illinois

By Susan Diesenhouse
Tribune staff reporter
Published February 27, 2007

While still under study, one concept might be to develop an approximately 70-story, $325 million tower, with a hotel of about 250 rooms on the bottom, Carley said. Above it would be perhaps 300 condominiums priced at roughly $750 a square foot, he said.


Full story...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0702270210feb27,0,3539790.story?coll=chi-business-hed


From the article:

Quote:
Carley, chief executive of Fordham Co., agreed in January to pay $60 million to HBE Corp. of St. Louis for an approximately two-acre parcel at Illinois Street and Columbus Drive. He plans to close on the property, now being used for surface parking, in June.
I wonder which parking lot they're refering to.

The lot between the NBC Tower and the Fairbanks at CityFront Plaza?

Or perhaps the lot immediately north of the Sheraton?
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:20 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Oddly enough, in the wards with the most development (2nd and 42nd) the incumbents are not doing so well, which could mean a lot for the current boom (sorry, I had to make some kind of relationship )

As for the 2nd, I think Fioretti is sitting pretty to be the next alderman. With the incumbent only managing to get 20%, I can't see her even making the run-off much of a race...I think Fioretti will also end up being at the very least not hostile toward high-rise development - heck, at the very least he's open to meeting with the skyscraper, architecture and planning crowd. Now we just need him to get behind a certain very important project in the 800 block of S Michigan...
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:24 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post
From the article:



I wonder which parking lot they're refering to.

The lot between the NBC Tower and the Fairbanks at CityFront Plaza?

Or perhaps the lot immediately north of the Sheraton?

I think it was mentioned in the Crain's article that it's the lot immediately north of the Sheraton...
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 5:54 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
DPD and Plan Commission - Do they take a few months off?

Given tonight's results in our favorite downtown wards, I think it will be interesting to see what kind of activity we get on high-rises moving through city planning and the Plan Commission........something tells me things might be slow for a little while......I hope I'm proven wrong, however...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.