HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 5:43 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is online now
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Sentinel,
The Chicago under 12 thread was closed, and combined with the Chicago general developments thread. So you should post that there.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=105764
^ Thanks Aaron! Will do.
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 5:54 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
You know, i want to say it was in the 60-ish range but, I got only a 20 minute glipse of it last fall. I wish i was a more active thread participant at the time so i would have sneaked a few cell phone shots of it.

I don't imagine we will hear or see anything about this building until Hines feels comfortable with the leasing of 300 n. lasalle. Why would they want to one up their own building?

Unless they land an anchor tenant for it, which could happen, and possibly sooner than a lot of people realize. At the Friends of Downtown presentation on 300 N. LaSalle a few months ago, the Hines person mentioned they had begun marketing 200 N Riverside to potential anchor tenants. Also, he mentioned that additional leasing (apart from Kirkland) was going well at 300 N LaSalle, with some significant leases already signed or very close to being signed, which was good to hear. With their excellent locations right on the river and with the very strong demand for new efficient and environmentally-friendly state-of-the-art A+ buildings, I don’t think filling both of them up will be the slightest problem…
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 6:00 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
[QUOTE=Jaroslaw;2649188]-That's the old Levi site, correct?

I was disappointed with how Riverbend cuts off the horizon when you look down the river, to my mind that view corridor should have been protected. But now that it's there, a big bang S of it would be great, and it'd obscure the Left Bank apts.

Riverbend's site is so narrow that it only has E facing condos (except for the S corner), which is not exactly an optimal use of space. And they didn't have space for a car ramp, so a valet has to park your car by elevator...

Here is something I did last night, hope it's not too big... red for u/c, blue for proposed. Bold for known height, italic for estimated/not yet approved height. Some smaller projects omitted for now. Anything big I missed???


How about Glashaus - not sure of the height, also - 2100 at the far south end - I think 320' if I'm remembering correctly, there might be a couple others...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 8:27 PM
Chi_Coruscant Chi_Coruscant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 485
Christopher Carley & Michael Reschke: The Odd Couple

Odd couple plans new Streeterville tower

By Thomas A. Corfman
Feb. 24, 2007
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23994

Developer Christopher Carley is planning a luxury hotel and condominium development a few blocks from the site where he once proposed building the tallest building in North America, before losing control of the project.

An unlikely duo of Mr. Carley and developer Michael Reschke, ousted chairman of Prime Group Realty Trust, has a contract to buy 2.3 acres just north of the downtown Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers for $60 million, sources familiar with the deal say. In addition to high-priced condos, the two also are considering adding a posh hotel like the Hotel de Crillon, which Mr. Carley once attempted to bring to the twisting tower, now called the Chicago Spire.

Any development faces steep obstacles, including a slowing condo market, scarce construction financing for high-end hotels and, for this particular location, the likelihood of costly environmental cleanup.

"That's why the site has sat vacant so long," says rival developer J. Paul Beitler, who also bid on the property and who has teamed with Mr. Reschke on other projects, such as a tweezers-shaped broadcast tower in the same area that hasn't gotten off the drawing board. "It's not like somebody just stumbled onto it."

However long the odds, the setbacks endured by Messrs. Carley and Reschke seemingly haven't diminished their ambitions.

Mr. Carley, CEO of Chicago-based Fordham Co., has been dogged by questions about the profitability of his recent condo projects, 65 E. Goethe St., the Fordham at 25 E. Superior St. and the Pinnacle at 21 E. Huron St. In July, he lost control of the 2,000-foot spire after failing to finance the $64-million purchase of the riverfront site on North Lake Shore Drive. Dublin-based Shelbourne Development Ltd. bought the site and took over the project, and a dispute with its executive chairman, Garrett Kelleher, cost Mr. Carley any day-to-day role in the development. Mr. Carley did not return calls requesting comment.

Mr. Reschke has also harbored ambitions for a record-setting skyscraper, including the tweezers tower. He resigned from Chicago-based Prime Group in 2002 after defaulting on $100 million in loans secured by his controlling stake in the company. He is better known for office buildings such as Citadel Center, the 1.5-million-square-foot tower at 131 S. Dearborn St. that he co-developed with Mr. Beitler.

Recently, Mr. Reschke has turned to other types of developments, such as a proposed 35-story condo project at 10 E. Delaware Place and a proposed hotel conversion of the lower floors of an antiquated office building at 208 S. LaSalle St.

FEASIBILITY STUDY

For their first endeavor together, Messrs. Carley and Reschke would buy the 2.3-acre site, now a parking lot, from the St. Louis parent company of the Adam's Mark Hotel chain, which paid $46 million for the parcel seven years ago.

"It is fair to say we are in the midst of a feasibility study," says Mr. Reschke, chairman and CEO of privately held, Chicago-based Prime Group Inc., which is no longer affiliated with Prime Group Realty Trust.

The site is bounded by Park Drive, an address that would have "a neat little cachet," he adds. But a key would be landing "an internationally famous, five-star (hotel) flag, and there are many out there," he says.

In a classic real estate gambit, the two are looking to sell off the northern half of the site in hopes of using the proceeds to help pay for the southern portion, which they would develop themselves, sources say. The total site is zoned for about 1.6 million square feet of space. To finance construction of an 800,000-square-foot building on the southern half, the pair would have to raise at least $200 million.

Ironically, Mr. Carley could now be competing for luxury-home buyers against his former spire, designed by acclaimed architect Santiago Calatrava. Mr. Carley is still entitled to 15% of the profits of that project, according to a complaint filed by one of his prospective lenders. The case, filed in September in Cook County Circuit Court, sought only information regarding the deal with Shelbourne. It was settled last month.
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 8:44 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
It would be nice to see those parking lots around NBC Tower go away. However, I'm a little scared of the design considering Carley's previous towers and Reschke's 10 East Delaware.
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 9:28 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,249
....another crains source
South Loop getting 2 more high-rises
Chicago developer Terrapin Group late last month secured an $83.5-million construction loan from Corus Bank, plus a $14-million mezzanine loan from a Wisconsin hedge fund, for a 298-unit condo building at 720 S. Clark St. A joint venture of Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co. and Equity Residential of Chicago landed a $55.1-million loan from LaSalle Bank for a 278-unit apartment building at 1401 S. State St. Both are scheduled to be completed next year. [Eddie Baeb
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 9:31 PM
Monkey36 Monkey36 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
It would be nice to see those parking lots around NBC Tower go away. However, I'm a little scared of the design considering Carley's previous towers and Reschke's 10 East Delaware.
I agree. There are too many open lots down in that area that are open, but I guess if the problem is the soil then I guess I understand if no one wants to put down the money to clean them up.

Open lots in area:
-between park and new (where carley's looking, I believe)
-north and south of nbc
-east of tribune

All within what could be considered about a block or two area... and right on the river (or close enough to be a noticable gap right there).
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 9:44 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,673
Jaroslaw, your map is fascinating - thanks.

re: Riverbend - methinks maybe one factor in its less-than-brisk sales is the undeveloped Wolf Point, which would cut off Riverbend's otherwise stellar viewlines down the river were it ever developed.

re: Carley - 15% - not bad. How wild it would be if Carley used Calatrava on this new site as well.
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
Here is something I did last night, hope it's not too big... red for u/c, blue for proposed. Bold for known height, italic for estimated/not yet approved height. Some smaller projects omitted for now. Anything big I missed???
Thanks Jaroslaw. When the weather warms up I plan on venturing more south and checking out some of these sites. This will be a helpful resource.
     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,629
February 22, 2007 - The Tides






^ The Tides on the left, Trump Tower in the middle.
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 10:49 PM
aaron38's Avatar
aaron38 aaron38 is offline
312
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,346
It's about time that we got a proposal for that parking lot. Spliting the site is interesting, but I hope that doesn't mean that the north half stays a parking lot.

There are a couple factors that should make Carley's proposal a decent tower. First, to give enough units with good views to get the luxury price, it's going to have to be tall, at least 600' I would think.
Second, if the condo market is indeed slowing, then developers can't just put up anything and expect it to sell. A new project is going to have to stand out more, and that means a higher level of quality. At least, we can hope...
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 11:05 PM
Belacqua Belacqua is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
Here is something I did last night, hope it's not too big... red for u/c, blue for proposed. Bold for known height, italic for estimated/not yet approved height. Some smaller projects omitted for now. Anything big I missed???
Wow, nice.

What about the two towers in the Roosevelt Collection? I believe they're both in the 45-story range, the first around where 9th/Wells would be, the second on Financial adjacent to the Metra south of Polk, IIRC.
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 12:06 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
Alright, more ULI people! I met a guy from Hines at ULI event and he showed a model and a few renderings of that site. He said that the building was going to happen "soon, after they get 300 N LaSalle moving more rapidly" He also said that right now they are building it on spec. I don't know if that is just code for "we haven't found an anchor yet, but are supremely confident we will". Pretty gutsy, but the design is awesome. It incorporates a public area along the east edge making up the river walk. This element is the part that spans the rails. The design had some large arches imposed on the bottom and top of the building. That is about all i remember. I want to say they used the same designer from 300 N. LaSalle. Pickard?
That's exactly right - Jon Pickard of Pickard Chilton will be designing 200 N. Riverside as well. I think I learned that at the Friends of Downtown presentation too......I can't wait to see renderings, although it may be a while before anything is released publicly. If this one is in the 60 story range, it might have a decent shot at breaking 800', which would be fantastic...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1154  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 12:14 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Carley/Reschke Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
It would be nice to see those parking lots around NBC Tower go away. However, I'm a little scared of the design considering Carley's previous towers and Reschke's 10 East Delaware.

Anytime I hear Michael Reschke's name associated with a proposed high-rise I get nervous. He seems to have this almost pervous obsession with pomo (which turns my stomach enough), but worse yet, his pomo penchant tends to lean more to the bizarrely cartoonish at times, with absurdly horrific results (for example that one version of Medici that floated around here). With Carley's apparent newfound appreciation of great modern architecture (ala the Spire), I hope he takes control of the design aspect (or of course largely leaves it in the hands of a great architect)...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1155  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 12:24 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Jaroslaw's Map

Is Michigan Ave Tower II the 270'? I could be wrong, but I thought I had read an article somewhere - was it possibly that NIMBY rag Chicago Journal? - that quoted a height of more than 300' on that one...

Also, near the bottom, I assume the 292' is for Aristocrat Tower. I've heard a rumor that that project has either been shelved or will be redesigned...

Is the 390' in the LaSalle Park are The Curve? If so, nice height for the area, glad to see it!
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1156  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 1:08 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
....another crains source
South Loop getting 2 more high-rises
Chicago developer Terrapin Group late last month secured an $83.5-million construction loan from Corus Bank, plus a $14-million mezzanine loan from a Wisconsin hedge fund, for a 298-unit condo building at 720 S. Clark St. A joint venture of Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co. and Equity Residential of Chicago landed a $55.1-million loan from LaSalle Bank for a 278-unit apartment building at 1401 S. State St. Both are scheduled to be completed next year. [Eddie Baeb
I think it's interesting to note the participation of a hedge fund in the financing of Burnham Pointe. Not by any means is this the first local example, but I do think we'll probably be seeing more of this for condo financing, as banks in general are tightening standards given the slower demand amid quite a lot of supply. Again - this will obviously vary by project - for a very experienced and proven development team working on a project that is 75% or 80% pre-sold, they will always be in good shape and very attractive to the traditional, conservative lenders...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1157  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 1:16 AM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
With Carley's apparent newfound appreciation of great modern architecture (ala the Spire), I hope he takes control of the design aspect (or of course largely leaves it in the hands of a great architect)...
Yeah, if the units in the Spire were really selling as well as he said they were, perhaps Calatrava has taught him a little lesson about the economics of good design...

What's really got me scratching my head on this one is the price they're paying for the land... almost as much as the Spire site would have been. I'll bet Carley is pretty pissed that he didn't get together with Reschke back then when he had a real project.

Then again, there wasn't land to flip over at LSD, but you get my point.
     
     
  #1158  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 1:30 AM
Loopy's Avatar
Loopy Loopy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
Here is something I did last night, hope it's not too big... red for u/c, blue for proposed. Bold for known height, italic for estimated/not yet approved height. Some smaller projects omitted for now. Anything big I missed???
Park Michigan (830 S Michigan) is a few parcels too far North (unfortunately Google Maps can't be trusted). It should be at the NE corner of 9th and Wabash.

Also Park 1000 (1000 S Michigan) towers B and C are likely cancelled. Renaissant Development recently sold the land to East/West University.

Otherwise it's a great map. Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by Loopy; Feb 25, 2007 at 2:03 AM.
     
     
  #1159  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:33 AM
Chi_Coruscant Chi_Coruscant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Anytime I hear Michael Reschke's name associated with a proposed high-rise I get nervous. He seems to have this almost pervous obsession with pomo (which turns my stomach enough), but worse yet, his pomo penchant tends to lean more to the bizarrely cartoonish at times, with absurdly horrific results (for example that one version of Medici that floated around here). With Carley's apparent newfound appreciation of great modern architecture (ala the Spire), I hope he takes control of the design aspect (or of course largely leaves it in the hands of a great architect)...
Combining their experiences and capitals together, Carley/Reschke team should afford to bring in a star architect such as Helmut Jahn, Jeanne Gang, Sir Norman Foster, Frank Gehry, Adrian Smith or Piano to design the high-rise. I didn't mean to exclude SCB or Pappageorge/Haynes which, in fact, they are doing decent jobs in re-making our downtown scenery. But I think the other architects should be given their chances to increase their presence here. After all, Chicago is the birthplace of modern skyscrapers.
     
     
  #1160  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 5:30 AM
BorisMolotov's Avatar
BorisMolotov BorisMolotov is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 548
I'd be interested to see what Norman Foster would bring to Chicago. It could be good, or really bad.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.