
The building that once held the Children's Museum of Utah may be in for a major renovation that would bring the Wasatch Springs Plunge building closer to its original purpose. (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune )
Former bathhouse may become recreation center
By Heather May
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/08/2007 04:23:46 PM MST
It would cost at least $18 million and there's no pot of money in sight. But Salt Lake City has a plan to renovate the Wasatch Springs Plunge building - when the time is right.
A city-backed study calls for returning pools - though not fed by natural springs - to the former warm springs resort, along with a gymnasium, jogging track, climbing wall and community meeting rooms.
While once a popular bathhouse, the building, at 840 N. 300 West, is better known as the home to the Children's Museum of Utah. But with that center's move to The Gateway in 2006, the city decided it was time to find a new use.
In 2005, the city hired consultants to study the building's existing condition and offer re-use possibilities. The study, issued last year, calls for returning it to a recreational destination - one resembling one of the centers funded through Salt Lake County's Zoo, Arts and Parks program.
The study calls for converting the main level into a gym, surrounded by meeting rooms. The second level would include a jogging track and fitness/aerobic spaces. A new building would be constructed behind the historic structure and would include a new pool and locker rooms. And a courtyard between the two buildings would house an outdoor mineral spa.
The estimated cost last year was $17.5 million. If it were built this year, it would cost $18.5 million. Prices are projected to jump 6 percent each year.
"The city supports the plan," said Nikki Bown, a spokeswoman for the city's Public Services Department. However, she added, no funding plans exist.
Although several of the plunge's original structures are gone - including soaking pools, guest rooms, a cafe, barbershop and hairdresser - the consultants believe the Spanish Colonial Revival-style building could qualify for the National Register of Historic Places.
It was built by the city in 1921 and was originally known as the Municipal Baths. The pools were fed by the same natural spring water that had attracted American Indians, and later Mormon pioneers, because of their supposed healing qualities.
LDS Church President Brigham Young in 1850 dedicated a now-demolished bath house on the property, which also served as the city's first dance hall, according to an article written by the University of Utah's Energy and Geoscience Institute.
In 1949, the city was required to chlorinate the pools by the state Health Department, according to an article by Nelson Knight, who works for the Division of State History. The baths were closed in 1976 as the complex fell out of favor.
The children's museum leased the space in 1981. It will continue to use the building for storage through October, Bown said.