HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:59 PM
murman murman is offline
Dreaming in Colour
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Ya, its much better then it was. Its great that
a) a gravel surfarcing parking lot that fronts jasper ave it gone with its expansion.
b) the building is being pulled out to the sidewalk
c) it gets rid of that ugly facade, and the front entrace/foyer that doesnt match

I realize this is just a renovation and expansion, but I personally wanted to pay to see that eyesore gone, or done something like what we have here. Its definately not a nice new office tower.
Keep the existing facade! (got your attention?)

This may (or may not) surprise some people here, but I would contend that a renovation of the existing tower facade, along with removal of the awful (80s?) addition, and taking up the gravel lot would have been just right...

You don't need something otherworldly and super-glamourous here. I happen to think that the existing facade is something that should be saved, restored and eventually "revered". I can almost guarantee that, given a few decades, the loss of the Prof Building's original facade will be looked back at with a serious sense of "what were we thinking?".

It's rather ironic that a number of new buildings are being built with facades exacting like what's being proposed to be removed here... ironic in the sense that these facades are being proposed as a LEEDs initiative.
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:27 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^ While I agree to some degree..... it's hard to imagine that this particular facade would be revered or missed. Go there, see it in person - it's a beast.

I respect Murman's insight, and have a hard time digesting the fact that the current proposal is a bad move. I mean, this building fell out of the ugly tree long long ago...

Although I sometimes find that the line between something that is very special and something that is disproportionately f-ing-ugly is a very very thin one and can be hard to find. (IE Some peoples opinion of CN tower.).

You be the judge. As it stands, I see the reno as a positive thing. Here is the building in it's current state.



edit: it really is worse in person :/ - although I've never been inside....
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

Last edited by Kevin_foster; Jan 8, 2007 at 8:32 PM.
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:32 PM
Pavlov's Avatar
Pavlov Pavlov is offline
Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 5,022
/\ I like it. I think a (tasteful and appropriate) addition on the site of the gravel parking lot is a better idea than the reclad. The current building definitely has some class.
__________________
Confucius says:
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:41 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
ok, ill duck after i post this, but here is a project on lougheed hwy in burnaby...yes suburban office/condo/retail mixed use.....and a very very good example of what we should be seeing along jasper, along 109st and in the bp's lands area. Imagine this on 109st between jasper and 100ave.



again, this isnt to say it is coming here or the such, this is a GOOD example of what we SHOULD be seeing here.....
Yes! this would be great on the north side of jasper ave between 107/108 street on the corner that moneymart is on.... right besides the project murman is getting wood over
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:42 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
Keep the existing facade! (got your attention?)
I've now lost any respect I ever had gained for you.
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:49 PM
murman murman is offline
Dreaming in Colour
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I've now lost any respect I ever had gained for you.
Can't lose what you never had!
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 9:00 PM
CanadianCentaur's Avatar
CanadianCentaur CanadianCentaur is offline
Briareos Hecatonchires
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Big E
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
Keep the existing facade! (got your attention?)

This may (or may not) surprise some people here, but I would contend that a renovation of the existing tower facade, along with removal of the awful (80s?) addition, and taking up the gravel lot would have been just right...

You don't need something otherworldly and super-glamourous here. I happen to think that the existing facade is something that should be saved, restored and eventually "revered". I can almost guarantee that, given a few decades, the loss of the Prof Building's original facade will be looked back at with a serious sense of "what were we thinking?".

It's rather ironic that a number of new buildings are being built with facades exacting like what's being proposed to be removed here... ironic in the sense that these facades are being proposed as a LEEDs initiative.
More like "What the hell are you thinking?"!
__________________
Edmonton/Amiskwacîwâskahikan Lat. 53° 34'N Elevation 671 m (2201 ft) Pop. 1,010,899 (2021 city) 1,418,118 (2021 metro) - North America's northernmost metro area over one million.
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 9:09 PM
mick mick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 607
I'm with you Murman, that facade is brilliant.
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:06 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
sobeys is moving FAST.....they are shoring as we speak and have the entire east side done.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:15 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^ good... man is that going to be so good for DTW
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:32 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Icon has backfilled the north wall and the parkade looks to be getting ready for its final pour for main.

Podium walls coming soon:>
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:34 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Permit: 63718142-001
To construct a four storey Apartment House (15 Dwellings), with underground parkade.
Location: 10235 - 116 STREET NW
Plan B3 Blk 15 Lots 98-99 - OLIVER
Applicant: TRADITIONS (II) DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Application Date: 1/3/2007
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:39 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^?
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 11:29 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
10830 Jasper Avenue
10830 Jasper Avenue , Edmonton, Alberta

Property Overview
Facing south along Jasper Avenue, half a block east from 109th Street, is the site for the redeveloped 10830 Jasper Avenue building, which will offer unprecedented visibility to one of downtown Edmonton’s most prominent intersections.

Located within walking distance to the downtown Edmonton office core, across the street from the Corona LRT station and with front door access to Public Bus Transit, the redeveloped 10830 Jasper Avenue building will be able to offer the ultimate ease of access.

History:
The current building known as The Professional Building, has been an Edmonton landmark for approximately half a century, known for providing the inner city with professional medical office space. ProCura’s plan to revitalize this city landmark is the beginning of the next generation of development in this area.

Building Services
Designed and constructed under a LEEDs certification program 10830 Jasper will offer state of the art technology and mechanical systems along with a new building core of elevators (3) and public washrooms.

Municipal Address
10830 Jasper Avenue,
Edmonton, Alberta

Legal Description
Lot 88 to 91, Block 8, PLan B

Gross Floor Area
210,481 sq.ft Redeveloped Office Space
25,460 sq.ft Redeveloped Main Fl. Retail

Site Area
38,705 sq.ft. (Approximate)

Parking
177 Underground parking stalls
31 Surface parking stalls with electrical outlets

Other
2 Receiving / Loading Areas
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 11:31 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
"210,481 sq.ft Redeveloped Office Space"

that is a decent addition to the city....along with what about 175,000 from new devonian and another 200,000 from the other 16 storey tower beside it....so 600,000 +/-.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Permit: 63718142-001
To construct a four storey Apartment House (15 Dwellings), with underground parkade.
Location: 10235 - 116 STREET NW
Plan B3 Blk 15 Lots 98-99 - OLIVER
Applicant: TRADITIONS (II) DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Application Date: 1/3/2007
Sorry, too short. Please re-apply. nice Podium, Lots of glass, etc
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 11:53 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
^actually in that area of oliver and given the lot size....it is appropriate.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 12:02 AM
murman murman is offline
Dreaming in Colour
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
"210,481 sq.ft Redeveloped Office Space"

that is a decent addition to the city....along with what about 175,000 from new devonian and another 200,000 from the other 16 storey tower beside it....so 600,000 +/-.

Only five years of supply?
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 12:09 AM
big W big W is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: E-Town
Posts: 5,426
I think much of this space will be taken up before everything is built. More projects are needed.
__________________
SHOFEAR- "The other goalie should have to turn in his man card. What a sorry display that was." - March 24, 2008
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 12:18 AM
Atlguy33 Atlguy33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 878
Thanks for posting the pic of The Professional in its current state, Kevin, since being an out-of-towner, I hadn't a recollection of what it looks like.

I agree with Murman, that sometimes a building is re-clad and decades later people say, "why the hell did they do that?" During the modernist era of the sixties and seventies, a number of pre-WWII buildings were re-clad in facades that were then-fashionable, i.e., plain and unadorned. I'm sure at the time people thought they looked much better, but nowadays anyone would shake their heads in disbelief that someone would cover up the classic, intricately decorated facades instead of renovating them to their former glory. There is a high-rise in Chattanooga that comes to my mind as an example of this.

As for the professional, there is indeed beauty in much of modernist architecture (I love the CN Tower), but as Cold stated, it really is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Mostly just a matter of opinion.

My opinion of the renovation: I agree with most of you that the building will be MUCH more attractive after the project is complete, but then again, tastes change. 30 years from now we might all think it was a bad idea.
__________________
"Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.